Univ. of Kansas

Started by SamDC
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SamDC

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got an invite from then. They attached a letter talking about being on probation and so on. I applaud them for being upfront with them but have some concerns. It looks like they're trying to recoup and make things better.

I'm wondering what others have to say about the program?
 
Loved, loved, LOVED their program director Dr. Gilmer when I interviewed there 3 years ago.

At that point they were very realistic about their program. They're smaller for sure, but if that's what you want, it's nice to still be in a larger city.

They're in a different sort of spot with Children's Mercy only about 2.5 miles away as the crow flies, but they get by. Their faculty were super, super, super supportive of their residents, and the smaller numbers made everyone much closer. In the end, it wasn't the right fit for me, but I could see the appeal...
 
I just got an invite from then. They attached a letter talking about being on probation and so on. I applaud them for being upfront with them but have some concerns. It looks like they're trying to recoup and make things better.
I'm wondering what others have to say about the program?
This is not meant as a "put down" for this program, but my understanding is that programs that are on probation are required to share that information with applicants. So "being upfront" may have been their only option....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is not meant as a "put down" for this program, but my understanding is that programs that are on probation are required to share that information with applicants. So "being upfront" may have been their only option....

Ah, thanks for the heads-up.
 
In the same boat, Sam. Not quite sure what to make of it either.
 
In the same boat, Sam. Not quite sure what to make of it either.

I'm going to interview with them. They're taking a chance with me, so I should reciprocate in kind.

Good luck and maybe our paths will cross.
 
I'm going to interview with them. They're taking a chance with me, so I should reciprocate in kind.

Good luck and maybe our paths will cross.

I came to the same conclusion. Good luck to you as well buddy.
 
I'm pretty sure you can see a list of all programs that are on probation when you register for the match. Log into the NRMP website and click "Institution and Program Violations" on the left.

I am currently looking at that list and do not see University of Kansas. It is possible that that violation is new or this list needs to be updated, but it is something to look at. Of importance, I do not see any Pediatrics programs listed outright.
 
I'm pretty sure you can see a list of all programs that are on probation when you register for the match. Log into the NRMP website and click "Institution and Program Violations" on the left.

I am currently looking at that list and do not see University of Kansas. It is possible that that violation is new or this list needs to be updated, but it is something to look at. Of importance, I do not see any Pediatrics programs listed outright.

They are in the third year of probation, from what I saw.
 
A Match (or NRMP) violation is not equivalent to ACGME probation. That's why those two lists are different. I think the latter is a more serious injunction than the former.
 
I don't think they have to tell us because UTMB is on that list and they didn't inform the interviewees about it.
 
I'm not entirely sure it's an explicit requirement to disclose, but it certainly would behoove a program to be honest with its interviewees.