Universal Supplemental LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handinhand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody had some insight on how to upload these things and send them to the half dozen schools that require them?

I've heard some people say just have your letter writer upload them to ERAS with their actual letter, but then that means I have to send out the supplemental to all 70 programs I apply to. Is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Was wondering if anybody had some insight on how to upload these things and send them to the half dozen schools that require them?

I've heard some people say just have your letter writer upload them to ERAS with their actual letter, but then that means I have to send out the supplemental to all 70 programs I apply to. Is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks

Have one of the letter writers that you have an extremely strong relationship with fill it out and attach it.
I think there's only a few, maybe 5 programs, that require all letter writers to fill out that form. The majority only require one letter writer to do it. In that situation you should have your strongest letter writer fill it out and upload it. Otherwise based on my research there's no other effective way.

The issue is that I'm a home student at one of the programs that require it from every letter writer, and did my two aways at two other programs that require them.

I was reading more about this and for the programs that require them they suggest either doing it through ERAS or having the supplemental faxed to them. I really don't want to be the annoying student that asks all 4 of my letter writers to have to fax this to 7 or so different schools, so I'm thinking ERAS is the easiest way. Do you think programs will really care if they get sent the supplemental along with the traditional LOR? My gut tells me no, but I just wanted to get others' opinions, as I know I'm not the only student that's confused by this right now.

I don't think the other programs are going to care, they can just throw it away or use it since they have it. You might just ask your letter writers to upload one copy with and one without and label them separately. Then you can upload them to the appropriate programs. That is the only way I can see you getting around not sending it to every single program.