University at Buffalo DDS waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

22’dentist

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was originally accepted to the Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine on 12/1/21. I was also waitlisted to ASDOH on 2/28 and finally accepted off of the waitlist on 4/18/22. I decided to choose ASDOH over Western and I dropped my offer at Western.

Nevertheless, I am still waitlisted at the University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine and the University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine. I was wondering if anyone that is currently a dental student at UB or UCONN and was originally waitlisted at either school can tell me what they did to get off of the waitlist? I was waitlisted to both schools on 12/1/21. I sent a letter of intent to UB on 12/6, a letter of continued interest to UCONN on 12/7, and I have sent an email or phone call of interest to each school at least once a month. In fact, I recently sent a detailed update letter to each school last Friday. I would really appreciate if anyone can tell me what I should do moving forward because I feel that so far I have been providing updates to each school, as well as showing my interest and telling them why I want to go there and what draws me to it.

Moreover, I am aware that people have been removed from the UB and UCONN waitlist as late as the day before orientation, which occurs at UB and UCONN in August. However, orientation week for ASDOH is from 7/11-7/14 and the first day of classes is on 7/18. Even if UCONN or UB accept me the day before their orientation, I will accept their offer without hesitation and turn down ASDOH. I will choose to do this because I am originally from NY and UB and UCONN are each cheaper than ASDOH by a total of 250k. However, I was wondering what if in a hypothetical situation I get accepted to UCONN or UB after orientation and the start of classes at ASDOH, so after 7/18, what are my penalties for dropping out of ASDOH and attending UB or UCONN instead? Do I have to pay for the entire fall semester of the D1 year at ASDOH after dropping out? Or do I lose a tuition refund at ASDOH? Or do I just have to pay for the amount of time that I stay at ASDOH? For example if UB or UCONN hypothetically accept me on 07/31, does this mean that I just have to pay for tuition at ASDOH from 7/18-7/31, which is the time that I spent there?

I have heard of students attending a dental school for 2-3 weeks, and then getting accepted off of the waitlist to their state or dream school. I have heard that these students drop out of the school that they are attending and enroll into their other choice instead. Therefore, I would really appreciate if anyone in this situation can give me some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Do I have to pay for the entire fall semester of the D1 year at ASDOH after dropping out?
Likely yes, since it's paid upfront
For example if UB or UCONN hypothetically accept me on 07/31, does this mean that I just have to pay for tuition at ASDOH from 7/18-7/31, which is the time that I spent there?
Not how it works

You'll have to pay for your first semester at ASDOH which includes but is not limited to tuition, fees, dental kit, loupes, rent/lease, etc. whether you attend for 1 day or 2 weeks. It's very unlikely that they would give you any sort of refund, as they are essentially losing your potential tuition for the next 3.5 years due to you leaving an empty seat in that class and are unable to fill that seat since anyone they'd accept to replace you would have to play major catch-up. I'd be very, very careful.

Likely yes, since it's paid upfront

Not how it works

You'll have to pay for your first semester at ASDOH which includes but is not limited to tuition, fees, dental kit, loupes, rent/lease, etc. whether you attend for 1 day or 2 weeks. It's very unlikely that they would give you any sort of refund, as they are essentially losing your potential tuition for the next 3.5 years due to you leaving an empty seat in that class and are unable to fill that seat since anyone they'd accept to replace you would have to play major catch-up. I'd be very, very careful.
Most schools offer a payment plan (if you're not taking out loans) where you pay monthly installments (Buffalo takes 5 payments per semester) so theoretically you could enroll in one of these perhaps? Not sure if you'd be on the hook for all payments though in the case where you drop out. However I know for a fact that there have been cases such as yours where students enrolled in one school drop out to attend a different school after being accepted off waitlist

Have you found out any more info on this? I am in a similar situation and have not been lucky with finding out how tuition reimbursement works. I have the option to pay part of my tuition out of pocket a week before school starts or wait till FAFSA is dispersed and use financial aid. I'm not sure which option is better. I thought I should wait to use FAFSA because I'm not giving the school any money out of pocket, but I did read that if I withdraw before 10 weeks then it is dispersed back to the government.