University at Buffalo interview...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul D.

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been through the first interview process! Buffalo appeared to be a great school with really clean facilities. The professors were, for the most part, very helpful but I found the tour given by the 1-4th year students even more so. I look back now and wish I had answered some of the interview questions differently but I think I relayed what type of person I am to the two professors.

The most difficult question, which really wouldn't seem too difficult, concerned where I saw myself in 20 years. I am motivated towards dentistry at the moment but I also, deep in my mind, have always had an interest in oral surgery, so you can see where the complication came from in answering this question. I hope they didn't get the wrong impression that I'm not making a committment. Oh well, we'll see how it goes post December 2nd. I was definitely impressed though. A great bunch of people!

Paul:D

Members don't see this ad.

Just a question:

How were the questions that were asked? I'm curious to know because I might be interviewing there once they receive all my Letters of refs.

Thanks

Hi...Paul D.

my interview at bufalo is coming soon and I am getting nervous...

Can I ask you how long it took, how many interviewers you met with and how many questions you were asked?

i appreciate you can remind me of the questions you can remember...

Your answer will be lots of help...

Thank you in advance...

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I went in there expecting the interview to be "laid back" from previous posts I've read but I wouldn't say that. I probably was asked somewhere in the range of 15 questions and was in a room with two professors. One of the professors did most of the questioning while the other, along with the one questioning, took notes from my responses to the questions. The interview seemed very dry to me. Not really too much humor or rapport, just straight questions and answers with nothing in between.

The professors who interview, however, were not limited to the two I spoke with. I talked to other interviewees after my interview and found that they had a great time, so I guess it varies to both extremes. The questions themselves were not difficult but were not easy. They mostly were "textbook" type questions...no grillers! Then again, all of this negativity towards the interview is probably partially due to the fact that it was my first interview, which they quickly picked up on and made an effort to lesson the stress by an occasonal smiling agreement or what not. The interview probably lasted an upwards of 20-30mins.

Later, on in the tour I talked with the professor who had interviewed me when we were eating lunch and also when we visited the class which he taught. He seemed really friendly and informative then, so who knows. I suppose he was anxious to get out of the interviewing process so he could get back to class, which is understandable.

The dental students there were great. They helped lighten the load of the interview. A nice thing about the arrangment is that you interview first, so it's not like you have to anticipate it all day through a tour. Overall, I came back with a very positive feeling about the whole experience. I wouldn't sweat it!

Paul :D

Paul, I think I interviewed with you that same day. Was it October 17th? Six guys and two girls? If so I am pretty sure that I know who you are.

I agree with everything Paul said. The school was great. I dont remember all the interview questions but here are some:
1. What does professionalism mean to you?
2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
3. What is the most important thing you want the committee to know about yourself?
4. Also asked what other schools I applied too and why I would choose Buffalo. (Don't know if this one was one of the set questions they had written down or not)

They served some of the best pizza I have ever had. And, of course, plenty of wings on the side.

Thank you guys...

these info will be very helpful to me...