University at Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thsaver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have received interviews for the University at Buffalo....congratulations!! I'm quite jealous haha. I've figured I have no chance this cycle for Buffalo (as I have been placed on the continuing review list) or anywhere else for that matter, so I'm preparing for next cycle.

I will take any responses to this, but I'm just curious how I'm looking for next cycle. Here are my stats now:

oGPA/sGPA: 3.23/3.21 (upward trend --> last 6 semesters: 4.0/3.6/3.6/4.0/4.0/4.0)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT): 19/18/19
EC's/volunteering: >1000hrs
Research: 200hrs
Shadowing: 120hrs

Here will be my stats for next cycle (hopefully):

oGPA/sGPA: 3.40/3.40 (my current semester I'm holding a 90% average going into my finals with the following courses: human anatomy, human physiology, medical microbiology, health sciences, stats.....and next semester I plan on keeping that average)
DAT: 21/21/20 (the only thing that brought me down last time was the biology which I received a 17, everything else was 20 or over except the PAT which was 19.....however as most of my classes this year are biology related, going back and reviewing the biology related DAT material now I feel way more prepared!)
EC's/volunteering: >1300hrs
Research: 200hrs
Shadowing: 250hrs

I feel the upward trend will help me out a bit, but I really want Buffalo. I know I can't be picky but if anyone that has had similar stats to this and received an interview with Buffalo, could you let me know? Because that would be great!! But any responses would be greatly appreciated.

P.s. one of the dentists that I shadow every week went to the University at Buffalo and wrote one of my recommendation letters. I'm also out of state.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your stats are good for buffalo. Make sure you get your application in early. I got my application in on 9/28 and I'm scheduled for a January 10th interview that I may cancel if another school gives me an offer I can't refuse lol. So, you still may have a shot for an interview this cycle because I am sure many people they have scheduled will cancel. May I ask, why buffalo, as opposed to other schools? I feel like it is too cold there. I would live 4 years wrapped in a cozy blanket, robe and slippers. :laugh:

I want Buffalo because I live 40 minutes away haha. I'm Canadian and live right across the border, so I'm used to the cold!....and my dentist has sold me on the school. He said it is fantastic. Curriculum is very organized and the faculty is very nice...and on top of that he tells me facts about the professors all the time. I feel like I know them already lol. But a really important thing for me is being close to family. I'm a very family oriented person so I like the fact that I can just drive 40 minutes and see them. It's very comforting for me. I have absolutely nothing against other schools, I'm sure they are all great, but Buffalo would be the most convenient for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
but Buffalo would be the most convenient for me.
I know, and my own state schools would also be most convenient for me, but no dice. Sometimes you really have to get out of that comfort to land what you want. If you have to go to Alaska for dental school, then you better. If you aren't willing to relocate and go to a school that accepts you, then you don't want it badly enough, in my opinion :p

Your stats look fine. I would try to initiate more contact with the admissions office and continue to shadow. You may even consider retaking your DATs. When I was up there, I got this vibe that they really look for mature students. The general student body seemed a little bit older. One of their years' average age is I think a 26 or 27. That's about a 2 year difference than most dental schools with avg rage of 24-25.

You're totally right. If I have to I will go somewhere else, but I'm just being greedy haha. But yeah I know what you mean about the mature student thing. My dentist gets UB dental magazines sent to his office and I go through them between appointments. All the dental students in the pictures do look older. I was looking at the one section and thought I was looking at the recent graduates, when it was actually the entering class at the white coat ceremony haha. Totally threw me off. But my dentist is taking a course up there in December and he knows one of the people on the admissions committee who's in charge of student affairs. He said he would drop my name. But I do plan on making the drive to the school and giving myself a tour. Maybe drop my own name to further emphasize my interest in the school. It can't hurt!

I want Buffalo because I live 40 minutes away haha. I'm Canadian and live right across the border, so I'm used to the cold!....and my dentist has sold me on the school. He said it is fantastic. Curriculum is very organized and the faculty is very nice...and on top of that he tells me facts about the professors all the time. I feel like I know them already lol. But a really important thing for me is being close to family. I'm a very family oriented person so I like the fact that I can just drive 40 minutes and see them. It's very comforting for me. I have absolutely nothing against other schools, I'm sure they are all great, but Buffalo would be the most convenient for me.

I totally see where you are coming from! I wanted to know if there is something to the school that I am missing lol I applied to the east coast schools only for the same reason you want to go to Buffalo. Every school tells me I need to move there anyway. I would still be able to see my family on weekends but still it will be rough. GL, I was just curious as to why Buffalo. I bet they get a lot of Candian applicants.

As fellow Canadian I know where your coming from. I interviewed there last week and it honestly is a great school with a very friendly faculty. I would love to go there, but I have to be relaistic about things too. Id recommend that you apply to at least 6-7 other schools just in case Buffalo doesn't work out. Schools like UDM are still relativity close for someone near the border. Good Luck.

Hey I have a 3.2 overall and 3.0 science with a 20AA/20TS/20PAT. 2nd batch. I got an interview from Buffalo this cycle (interviewed back in September). I was very surprised about this invite and think it was a combination of applying early and sheer luck.

Yeah I also applied to Case, Detroit, NYU, Boston, and 2 in California for the hell of it (USC and Pacific). No rejections, everything just says under review, except for Buffalo which says continuing review. But I also don't mind waiting an extra year. I have one more year to go for the completion of my second degree (first degree was in biochemistry, my current degree is in health sciences). I'm not really in a rush. Wouldn't mind finishing this degree then going to dental school.

But on another note I don't know what to believe when it comes to average GPA for acceptance. It says on the UB dental website and on the ADEA spreadsheet that the mean GPA admitted for Buffalo was 3.5-3.65. However, my dentist gets UB dental magazines sent to his office and the most recent magazine stated the mean GPA that was accepted for the class of 2016 was 3.28. So I honestly don't know which one would be more accurate.

Yeah I also applied to Case, Detroit, NYU, Boston, and 2 in California for the hell of it (USC and Pacific). No rejections, everything just says under review, except for Buffalo which says continuing review. But I also don't mind waiting an extra year. I have one more year to go for the completion of my second degree (first degree was in biochemistry, my current degree is in health sciences). I'm not really in a rush. Wouldn't mind finishing this degree then going to dental school.

But on another note I don't know what to believe when it comes to average GPA for acceptance. It says on the UB dental website and on the ADEA spreadsheet that the mean GPA admitted for Buffalo was 3.5-3.65. However, my dentist gets UB dental magazines sent to his office and the most recent magazine stated the mean GPA that was accepted for the class of 2016 was 3.28. So I honestly don't know which one would be more accurate.

yea the website says:

GPA Means
Cumulative GPA: 3.65
Biology, Chemistry, Physics GPA: 3.56

(http://dental.buffalo.edu/Education/DDSProgram/DoctorofDentalSurgery(DDS)/ProgramStatistics.aspx)

Thanks for everyone's responses. They are greatly appreciated! :)

You have great stats for Buffalo. Since the biology DAT section is very much looked upon by admissions committees in general (from what I have heard), you may want to promote your strong competence of the biological sciences with your science GPA.

Otherwise, I think you are in great shape.

As an aside, you may end up getting an invite at Buffalo post December because many people may decide to cancel their invites at Buffalo after receiving a pre-December offer elsewhere.

good lord, I hope i 'll get accepted at Buffalo. I had an interview on Oct 23rd. After interview, we had lunch with the the faculties. I sat next to Dr. Brown during lunch, but for some reason I couldn't open my mouth since he was talking to a d4 student most of the time. god, I hate myself for this :mad:

I wouldn't be able to open my mouth either. Especially if he's talking to a d4 lol. Gotta wait for a pause in the convo and jump in. It's intimidating because I've heard he looks at every application himself. But I hope you get in!

I wouldn't be able to open my mouth either. Especially if he's talking to a d4 lol. Gotta wait for a pause in the convo and jump in. It's intimidating because I've heard he looks at every application himself. But I hope you get in!

Ya, I was told when the admissions committee decides to even interview someone he has to approve each candidate before the invite even goes out.

Hey I have a 3.2 overall and 3.0 science with a 20AA/20TS/20PAT. 2nd batch. I got an interview from Buffalo this cycle (interviewed back in September). I was very surprised about this invite and think it was a combination of applying early and sheer luck.

I doubt it. My experience with Buffalo was that they carefully selected people who they wanted, and who would like them back as well. There must have been something in your app that caught their attention, especially given your early interview. Don't sell yourself short. But yes, applying early doesn't hurt.

good lord, I hope i 'll get accepted at Buffalo. I had an interview on Oct 23rd. After interview, we had lunch with the the faculties. I sat next to Dr. Brown during lunch, but for some reason I couldn't open my mouth since he was talking to a d4 student most of the time. god, I hate myself for this :mad:

Dude... Dr. Brown is one of the nicest men you'll ever meet.

Dude... Dr. Brown is one of the nicest men you'll ever meet.

I know. I just wish my brain worked properly at that time:laugh:. Buffalo is at the top of my list, and if I get accepted then I would definitely choose Buffalo.