University based vs. University affiliated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what the big benefits are of doing one or the other? The university based programs seem to get more respect, have more funding, etc - but all in all, what is the REAL difference as far as training goes?

Is doing a community residency goign to hinder one in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Poety said:
Can someone please tell me what the big benefits are of doing one or the other? The university based programs seem to get more respect, have more funding, etc - but all in all, what is the REAL difference as far as training goes?

good grief poety, how much time do you spend on this site?

blank said:
good grief poety, how much time do you spend on this site?

I live on this site blank! When I'm home with my daughter (about every other day) I have my laptop here with me, and I get dinged dinged with new replies so I can come and see whats going on. While doing that I watch my little one (shes sleeping now and only an itty bitty wee one) so going out at this point is a bit hard - thank God for SDN adn the internet, keeps me talking to adults while I'm homebound! :D I would NOT do well as a SAHM, Id turn into a computer slog.

btw, I'm really enjoying this time while I can - this is the only chance I'll have to be so leisure about anything ever again

p.s. you didn't answer the original post!

Members don't see this ad :)
Poety said:

A community residency will only hinder you if you're interested in high-powered academic research in the future.

OldPsychDoc said:
A community residency will only hinder you if you're interested in high-powered academic research in the future.

Thank you very much OldPsychDoc, I was wondering if the training would be different as well, but I assume not. Seems like community programs are a bit nicer with the faculty that are there too, I'm a bit warm and fuzzy so I tink I like warm and fuzzy places :)