University course load?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sskyler80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in an undergrad 4 year science program. In first year, I took 5 courses each term for a total of 10. I found it a little difficult and didn't do so well due to the course load, so in second year I took 4 courses per term and 2 in the summer. This really increased my GPA. I am now in third year, and plan on once again taking 4 courses per term and 2 in the summer. However my question is, would med schools frown upon this since I won't be working or anything? I guess majority of undergrads do take 5 courses per term (full course load).

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, no the majority of students do 4 of fewer courses per term. In fact, I know a bunch of quarter system kids that claim that 3 courses is a ton of work (which is ridiculous because I've taken classes in the quarter system and it's the same amount of work as in the semester system). Taking 4 courses a semester won't hurt you - definitely worth a GPA boost.

You should be able to handle ~4 courses while getting good grades. Working is not necessary if you don't need $, but ECs are basically required so you better have those by the time you apply.