University of Alabama at Birmingham MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got an e-mail from them. It's basically trying to convince me to apply to thier MSTP program.

"Based on a review of your MCAT score, you clearly have excellent qualifications and we sincerely hope that you will consider the MSTP at UAB for your future training to become a physician scientist."

It goes on with a sales pitch. Now my MCAT is barely above a 30. Combined with my GPA, medschool alone is a long shot for me, let alone an MSTP program. Is this just a mass e-mail trying to round up secondary fees or should I inffer that I may stand a reasonable chance at admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Me 3. I might think about it if I do not get a few interviews by early October.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bummer. Here I thought I had a hope. Now it just drew my attention to a school probably out of my league that does a lot of research I'm interested in...

A few of my friends who have not applied MD/PhD anywhere are being sent emails by UAB for their MSTP, if that info helps.

They are not searching for secondary fees, only for applicants. It does not mean that your odds are great, though.

I received the same email...

I was just thinking, how do they get our MCAT scores? I know that I, for one, never designated them as a school that I was interested in.

+1 Vote for strangest policy ever.

It is very strange, but as a student I'm not complaining.

It is very strange, but as a student I'm not complaining.

:D Indeed. You guys can't really point out when things seem amiss. That's where I come in because I've been matriculated for a long time now ;)

(and somewhere an admin reading this post is saying--"Nobody asked you." and "WTF do you know?" and a UAB student is justifying this policy in their minds etc etc etc)

-

Last edited:
If they need send out mass recruiting emails...

The thing is, they don't need to. They get plenty of applicants from around the southeast. They are just trying to broaden their pool of applicants and get people to consider their school.

It's free for them. Why not?

Anyone who applied there knows they ask for a detailed survey of how you found out about them, etc. Pretty sure they just understand the importance of recruitment.

Lastly, they are MSTP funded. Almost certain that means they are a successful program that has not lacked applicants in the past. They are just trying to keep themselves competitive.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Let me clear up this issue - I have it on official word that beyond the AMCAS fee, applicants to the MSTP don't have to pay a secondary fee unless you are invited to interview.

I was actually really appreciative of this :)

Saves me some munny if they don't interview me! Can't accuse them of dashing with my secondary fee.

The thing is, they don't need to. They get plenty of applicants from around the southeast. They are just trying to broaden their pool of applicants and get people to consider their school.
Agree. I can vouch that UAB is beyond awesome. If you Yanks and Californians can be open-minded enough to give living in B'ham a fighting chance, it's well worth your while to check this school out.

OP, I agree that if you're interested in the research being done at UAB, you should apply. I don't know what your chances of getting in are, but if you don't apply, they're going to be zero, right? :)

It's free for them. Why not?

Anyone who applied there knows they ask for a detailed survey of how you found out about them, etc. Pretty sure they just understand the importance of recruitment.

Lastly, they are MSTP funded. Almost certain that means they are a successful program that has not lacked applicants in the past. They are just trying to keep themselves competitive.

I am a current MSTP (1st year) at UAB and I would just like to say that the majority of my class (and most of the classes) is not from the southeast. The letter that is sent out I found out this year is more or less a mass e-mail (based on MCAT scores, etc.) but that letter is what got me to apply to UAB. The UAB MSTP program is a well funded program and they have spots for 8 students each year (well my year has 9). As I have told many people, don't let a low 30 MCAT score prevent you from applying to MD/PhD programs. If you have the research and the interest, that is more important (or has been my experience). Good luck with applications!

The thing is, they don't need to. They get plenty of applicants from around the southeast.

I seem to remember this when I applied. I made a post about how UT-Southwestern was annoying with how they would only accept TMSDAS for MD/PhD applicants. Someone responded to me about how UTSW gets great applicants and if I was really interested in their school I would fill out the TMSDAS.

The next year UTSW started taking AMCAS for MD/PhD applicants.

Shrug, anyhow nothing against UAB or UTSW. Just pointing out how funny I find the "let's advertise, but we really don't need to" bandwagon.

Oh, and I remember I got an invite to apply to WashU's program from my AMCAS. I even got some gigantic book "in preparation for an interview" that cost $6 to ship listing all of WashU's profs. Never did get an invite to interview. At least that advertising paid off for them--an extra $70.

Agree. I can vouch that UAB is beyond awesome. If you Yanks and Californians can be open-minded enough to give living in B'ham a fighting chance, it's well worth your while to check this school out.)

I had assumed this was the reason they did this.

They tried to recruit me as well back when (their offer was attractive too if I remember correctly), and the first thing I said to myself was "Would I be willing to live in Birmingham for the next 8-10 years of my life?"

The answer was an unmitigated "No."

Also agree. So much so, I wish I would've gone there! :)

...but I didn't. :(

-X

Agree. I can vouch that UAB is beyond awesome. If you Yanks and Californians can be open-minded enough to give living in B'ham a fighting chance, it's well worth your while to check this school out.

OP, I agree that if you're interested in the research being done at UAB, you should apply. I don't know what your chances of getting in are, but if you don't apply, they're going to be zero, right? :)

I lived in Birmingham for 3 years when I was young and my father went to UAB, then moved to California, I would love to come back to B'ham. Like the above poster said, if us yanks and Californian's would be more open-minded it really isn't a bad place at all. Believe me, there is such a thing as southern hospitality... I hope I get an interview!!!! Just being back would be awesome.

I also got a lot of emails from UAB and decided to apply. Of all of the schools I've heard from, UAB has been the nicest and personal. Birmingham seems like a great place to live, even if it's not a gigantic city, and they do some very interesting research.

They had 9 matriculations last year. I can understand why they are trying so hard.

They had 9 matriculations last year. I can understand why they are trying so hard.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why is having funding for 9 students a bad thing???

I'm a current MS1 at the UAB MSTP; I found the school last year through their website (seriously one of the best imo - http://www.uasom.uab.edu/mdphd/index.html). If you'd have asked me a year ago where I'd be now, I never would have guessed Birmingham. But it was hands down the most positive interview experience I had; I really liked the program administration and fellow students, and it was seriously the only place I interviewed where the students seemed genuinely happy and positive all the time. Birmingham is a really cool town too, and the cost of living/stipend ratio is one of the best ($25,000 goes a long way in Birmingham).

If there's research you're interested in at UAB (we have a great immuno program, and a really large cardiac group, and probably lots of other great things that I haven't heard about b/c I've only been here a few months), give it a shot. As a previous poster said, you only pay the application fee if you're invited to interview (the secondary essays are pretty insubstantial/non-existant), and they pay all costs associated with the interview (at least they did last year, and I can't imagine this would change).

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is having funding for 9 students a bad thing???

I believe that point was that nine students is a full class, therefore they do not need to be trying so hard to find more recruits. Having funding for nine students is definitely a good thing.

shoo. I thought that I was special.

I just wanted to say that I love this program. The secondary took - literally - five minutes to complete, and they don't make you pay for it unless you get an interview! I am also just so impressed by the outreach this school has done for me (and everyone else who applies, I assume). So refreshing! UAB rocks!

I just wanted to say that I love this program. The secondary took - literally - five minutes to complete, and they don't make you pay for it unless you get an interview! I am also just so impressed by the outreach this school has done for me (and everyone else who applies, I assume). So refreshing! UAB rocks!

I couldn't agree more! Maybe it's just marketing, but UAB has been the most pleasant school to interact with thus far in the application process. I just set up my interview date with them and am psyched to visit the school and meet the people that make up the school (and hopefully impress them with my qualifications). It'll be nice to put a few faces to the nice emails I've received so far. :D

I couldn't agree more! Maybe it's just marketing, but UAB has been the most pleasant school to interact with thus far in the application process. I just set up my interview date with them and am psyched to visit the school and meet the people that make up the school (and hopefully impress them with my qualifications). It'll be nice to put a few faces to the nice emails I've received so far. :D

Seriously. I am truly amazed. They even told me roughly when I would hear back about an interview! It's the little things like that that go a LONG way in this process.

Seriously. I am truly amazed. They even told me roughly when I would hear back about an interview! It's the little things like that that go a LONG way in this process.
When you go, make sure you check out the gym. Yeah, the one with the rock climbing wall and the freaking *artificial river* in it. Definitely beyond awesome. The Five Points area near the school is pretty eclectic and fun too. If you're staying in that hotel on campus, it's a straight shot up the hill to Five Points. If you're a runner, go through Five Points, make a left, and continue on down Highland Ave. It's very scenic. First you will see a bunch of really old, pretty churches. Then there are like three or four really nice little parks. It's hilly though, at least for a FL girl like me, so be prepared to sweat. :)

Has anyone gotten an interview invitation for this program yet? I'm thankful to still be in the running for one, and I've talked with Paula more than a few times, but I'm starting to get a little anxious. I know they review applications on Tuesdays and have 40 spots for interviews so I was just wondering if any or most of those spots have been filled yet. Also, did anyone else get a request to submit an additional research letter? This is definitely my first choice for a school and program as Birmingham seems to be an excellent place to live and the research opportunities available are top-notch.

D&G,

How many applicants are there so far this year (compared to the 133 applicants last year)?

Don't know how many apps there are, but I know that they meet and e-mail rejections on Tuesdays and that there are still 16 interview slots left. They plan to have them all assigned by the end of the month.