University of Arizona Psychiatry Residency 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pauld323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats on being so close to interview season! I remember the uncertainty in choosing which programs to apply to (the websites all look the same) so I'm hoping to add a bit more info through a resident-perspective of my own program. I posted last year about the University of Arizona South Campus psychiatry residency and there are some exciting updates worth mentioning.

Just so that you know where this is coming from, I'm currently a third year resident in this program and have been very satisfied with my decision. I chose the U of A South Campus, in particular, because I found it to provide a uniquely strong, community-based experience while maintaining access to academic affiliation and resources (see more detailed discussion via the link to my post last year). Now here's the big news: there is no longer a distinction between the U of A's 'South Campus' and 'University Campus' residency programs. We've pooled our faculty, staff, residents, and resources to create what aims to be a very balanced academic program with a particularly strong community-based experience.

PGY-1 time will now be split more evenly between our community hospital (probably the nicest community facilities you'll find), the VA hospital, and our consult service at the University hospital. The University's healthcare system is also now run by a private, not-for-profit corporation (Banner) which has added some nice benefits (401k contribution matching, for example). Our supportive and relaxed culture hasn't changed and Tucson is still a hidden gem.

I'll try to answer any questions that come up but most of the details can be found via the website link below. Most importantly, I hope you'll consider applying and visiting us during interview season!

http://psychiatry.arizona.edu/academic-programs/ua-psychiatry-residency

And, here's the link to my post from last year if you're interested:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...na-south-campus-psychiatry-residency.1151766/

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Thank you for extending yourself to this community. It is very kind of you and reflects well upon your institution too. I am a medical student who has had my eye on this program for a while due to its seemingly well-balanced demands, resident life and training with a nice extra bit of emphasis in psychotherapy it appears. If I could end up at this program or one like it when I apply, I suspect I would be extremely happy.

I have a question. What kind of a person would be a good fit for a program like this one at the University of Arizona? Besides the usual hard work, being motivated, etc. that every program looks for and that successful people have, what would help a resident to *thrive* in this sort of setting and not just "get through it"?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Great question. I think we've recruited a very diverse group of residents in recent years and the 'balancing' of our clinical experience is only going to make it easier for a variety of individuals to thrive. That said, one of our greatest strengths is still our community/severe mental illness exposure (particularly on the inpatient units). A resident with an interest in this patient population might be especially likely to thrive. A laid-back, casual, friendly attitude also fits in particularly well. In the work/life balance department we tend to lean slightly towards the 'life' side of the scale which lends itself well to those who need rest and relaxation to get the most out of training opportunities. On the flip side, one who benefits from more external pressure to achieve might be somewhat more likely to 'get through' rather than thrive.