University of Buffalo (SUNY) 2008 Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

No, I remember them saying that too. But I think that just means that more people will want to go here because it is getting more competitive everywhere. THIS IS SO TORTUROUS!!!!

so basically less people will drop from the waitlist or withdraw their acceptances
 
The numbers Dean Severin quoted at my interview were:

3900 applicants
600-650 interviews
135 seats in the class
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The numbers Dean Severin quoted at my interview were:

3900 applicants
600-650 interviews
135 seats in the class


Wow..guess I was wrong. Compare that to last year (US News/World Report):

3,067 applicants
528 interviews
379 acceptances
136 matriculants/enrolled
 
Wow..guess I was wrong. Compare that to last year (US News/World Report):

3,067 applicants
528 interviews
379 acceptances
136 matriculants/enrolled
That makes a whole lot of sense now. 392 of 528 interviewees were initially placed on the waitlist, and roughly 256 were accepted off of it. That means 100% of top 1/3 (~131 people) and 96% of middle 1/3 (~125 people) were accepted.

Whew!!! It makes me feel better now. :laugh:
 
That makes a whole lot of sense now. 392 of 528 interviewees were initially placed on the waitlist, and roughly 256 were accepted off of it. That means 100% of top 1/3 (~131 people) and 96% of middle 1/3 (~125 people) were accepted.

Whew!!! It makes me feel better now. :laugh:

Laker4life, where did you get these waitlist numbers from?


PS: Kobe for MVP!
 
Laker4life, where did you get these waitlist numbers from?

PS: Kobe for MVP!
From the numbers you posted.

528 interviews - 136 immediate acceptances = 392 people on waitlist (assuming no one gets rejected immediately)

379 acceptances - 136 seats = 256 acceptances from waitlist

1/3 of 392 = ~131

That means 100% of top 1/3 (131) and 96% of middle 1/3 (125) got accepted.
 
I have too much time on my hands that I'm trying to convince myself that everything will be OK. Plus, I'm an accountant so I'd like to play with numbers.
 
OMG, omg, omg...
I REALLLLLY hope you are right Laker4Life!!! AND I REALLLLLY REALLLLLY REALLLLLY hope that the same will happen for this year.:luck::luck::luck:

But I thought I read last year's thread and none of the middle 1/3 were accepted. 🙁
 
OMG, omg, omg...
I REALLLLLY hope you are right Laker4Life!!! AND I REALLLLLY REALLLLLY REALLLLLY hope that the same will happen for this year.:luck::luck::luck:

But I thought I read last year's thread and none of the middle 1/3 were accepted. 🙁


if you look closely at last year's thread, you'll notice that people were definitely accepted from the middle 1/3. also, a couple people who were initially in the bottom 1/3 were moved up to the middle 1/3 and accepted. it's not over yet!👍
 
if you look closely at last year's thread, you'll notice that people were definitely accepted from the middle 1/3. also, a couple people who were initially in the bottom 1/3 were moved up to the middle 1/3 and accepted. it's not over yet!👍

not to ruin everyone's fun...but i dont anticipate as much movement off the waitlist because its just so competitive everywhere at this point...

i certainly hope they let in a bunch off the waitlist tho
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's not true. Check out this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=416724&page=6

9 people from middle 1/3 were accepted and 7 were not. Well, there were 12 left in the middle 1/3 but only 7 were initially there and the other 5 got bumped up from bottom 1/3.

Wow, I wonder what I was looking at when I first found out I was in the middle 1/3. I could have swore there was only movement in the upper 1/3.

I really hope this year they dip all the way down to the bottom 1/3.
 
Do you guys think that people with "lower scores" get later interview dates? And if so, would you agree that later interviewees have a slightly lower chance of acceptance compared to the ones interviewed in 2007 which is especially true for OOS?
 
1- Isradoc1983: --------bottom 1/3
2- beachblonde---------bottom 1/3
3- patiencebites:------ bottom 1/3
4- Dancingdoc----------bottom 1/3


1- lackoftalent: ------- middle 1/3
2- fifer---------------------middle 1/3
3- Pam Beesley------ middle 1/3
4- Smctbone------------middle 1/3
5- Psych------------------middle 1/3
6- ajk63--------------------middle 1/3


1- rds726----------- -upper 1/3 (withdrew 3/4)
2- TGUkids ----------upper 1/3
3- vader34mt------- upper 1/3
4- aubg23y78-------upper 1/3
5 - Laker4Life-------- upper 1/3
6- 0101010101-------upper 1/3
7- thzone1986--------upper 1/3
8- LeftCoaster--------upper 1/3
9- Nashaa------------upper 1/3

10- brsboarder--------upper 1/3
11- LeLu-------------upper 1/3
 
1- Isradoc1983: --------bottom 1/3
2- beachblonde---------bottom 1/3
3- patiencebites:------ bottom 1/3
4- Dancingdoc----------bottom 1/3
5- killer*imstinct----------bottom 1/3


1- lackoftalent: ------- middle 1/3
2- fifer---------------------middle 1/3
3- Pam Beesley------ middle 1/3
4- Smctbone------------middle 1/3
5- Psych------------------middle 1/3
6- ajk63--------------------middle 1/3


1- rds726----------- -upper 1/3 (withdrew 3/4)
2- TGUkids ----------upper 1/3
3- vader34mt------- upper 1/3
4- aubg23y78-------upper 1/3
5 - Laker4Life-------- upper 1/3
6- 0101010101-------upper 1/3
7- thzone1986--------upper 1/3
8- LeftCoaster--------upper 1/3
9- Nashaa------------upper 1/3

10- brsboarder--------upper 1/3
11- LeLu-------------upper 1/3


Maybe upper/middle thirds will fall over, revealing the melted goodness of the bottom third!
 
I wonder if UB's guidelines for sorting into upper/middle/lower thirds is fluid or predetermined? I imagine the guidelines would change over the course of the app cycle.
 
Wow..guess I was wrong. Compare that to last year (US News/World Report):

3,067 applicants
528 interviews
379 acceptances
136 matriculants/enrolled

Now that I think about it, I don't think that the latest version of the US news book has last years stat. The 1st edition (the one I have) has stats from entering class 2003, I believe. The 2nd edition came out on August 2006. Perhaps those numbers you are quoting are from entering class 2004. I'm going to take a look into it at a book store the next time I goto one.
 
Now that I think about it, I don't think that the latest version of the US news book has last years stat. The 1st edition (the one I have) has stats from entering class 2003, I believe. The 2nd edition came out on August 2006. Perhaps those numbers you are quoting are from entering class 2004. I'm going to take a look into it at a book store the next time I goto one.

Those #'s are from their website. You have to have purchased an account to view them. I don't know for sure if they're from last year, but I hope so!
 
I wonder if UB's guidelines for sorting into upper/middle/lower thirds is fluid or predetermined? I imagine the guidelines would change over the course of the app cycle.

As far as I understand, they are literally thirds of the waitlist. Everyone gets a numerical score, which determines their place on the list. So if there are three hundred listers, and you are the 147th best, you are in the middle third.
 
Do you guys think that people with "lower scores" get later interview dates? And if so, would you agree that later interviewees have a slightly lower chance of acceptance compared to the ones interviewed in 2007 which is especially true for OOS?

Actually, I'll somewhat reluctantly admit that my numbers weren't the greatest (3.3 sci gpa with a 27 on the last MCAT). I think I was interviewed later because of that.. but I was placed in the upper tier waitlist. And I am from CA. So my feeling is that once they've decided to interview you.. the numbers are not as significant and it really depends on the luck/skill you have with your interviews. Mine were fair and engaging conversations.. but I know others in my group were completely frazzled by the questions they got.
 
Actually, I'll somewhat reluctantly admit that my numbers weren't the greatest (3.3 sci gpa with a 27 on the last MCAT). I think I was interviewed later because of that.. but I was placed in the upper tier waitlist. And I am from CA. So my feeling is that once they've decided to interview you.. the numbers are not as significant and it really depends on the luck/skill you have with your interviews. Mine were fair and engaging conversations.. but I know others in my group were completely frazzled by the questions they got.

When was your interview?
 
I just got an interview invite TODAY, after having intermediate status since October...my question is, do I honestly have a shot at getting accepted at this point, or will it be waitlist only? I would love to get off the waitlist there if that's what happened, but my only other acceptance starts in June and I'm worried about even having time for the waitlist to move...any help making this decision would be appreciated!
 
I just got an interview invite TODAY, after having intermediate status since October...my question is, do I honestly have a shot at getting accepted at this point, or will it be waitlist only? I would love to get off the waitlist there if that's what happened, but my only other acceptance starts in June and I'm worried about even having time for the waitlist to move...any help making this decision would be appreciated!

One of the reasons why I liked Buffalo so much was how they ran their admissions process. They will not invite people to interview unless there are spots available in the classs (or so they claim!). So I would assume that if you do go an interview, you have a fair shot at being accepted outright. Go for it and good luck!! And even though your other school starts in June, there will be TONS of waitlist movement right around May 15.
 
I just got an interview invite TODAY, after having intermediate status since October...my question is, do I honestly have a shot at getting accepted at this point, or will it be waitlist only? I would love to get off the waitlist there if that's what happened, but my only other acceptance starts in June and I'm worried about even having time for the waitlist to move...any help making this decision would be appreciated!
I think you do have a shot at getting in the top 1/3 of the waitlist and getting accepted off of it later on. Although they say they still have available seats and they do not interview for waitlist positions, I honestly believe it's very very hard to get accepted outright if you don't have stellar stats. No matter what, you should go to the interview to check out the school. Good luck!

Your other school is a DO school so you still can go to UB even if you have already started classes. It will be messy though. Can you cancel classes and get a refund?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you do have a shot at getting in the top 1/3 of the waitlist and getting accepted off of it later on. Although they say they still have available seats and they do not interview for waitlist positions, I honestly believe it's very very hard to get accepted outright if you don't have stellar stats. No matter what, you should go to the interview to check out the school. Good luck!

Your other school is a DO school so you still can go to UB even if you have already started classes. It will be messy though. Can you cancel classes and get a refund?

Technically, yes I could start at my DO acceptance and then drop out in the first few weeks (with a full refund if it's in the first two, I might add)...but I don't think I would do that. I would feel too guilty if I wasted a seat at the school, plus I would have to be living somewhere so a lease would most likely be involved...

I have set my date to withdraw my DO acceptance (mind you, I would likely withdraw if I got ANY acceptance right now, although my heart is in one waitlist spot in particular) as June 17...does the waitlist at Buffalo move before then? Say, if I was in the top 1/3? I really want to go to this interview, I just need to know it wouldn't be a guaranteed waste of the plane ticket and hotel to justify adding it to the credit card debt right now...
 
Technically, yes I could start at my DO acceptance and then drop out in the first few weeks (with a full refund if it's in the first two, I might add)...but I don't think I would do that. I would feel too guilty if I wasted a seat at the school, plus I would have to be living somewhere so a lease would most likely be involved...

I have set my date to withdraw my DO acceptance (mind you, I would likely withdraw if I got ANY acceptance right now, although my heart is in one waitlist spot in particular) as June 17...does the waitlist at Buffalo move before then? Say, if I was in the top 1/3? I really want to go to this interview, I just need to know it wouldn't be a guaranteed waste of the plane ticket and hotel to justify adding it to the credit card debt right now...

I know how you feel. I'm not too happy with my credit card debt either right now. If you think you have a good shot, go ahead and go. But April 30th is the last interview batch, I think. From your profile, your GPA and MCAT, you are an okay applicant. They will give you a number on those. From my standpoint now, it would be just an okay score; it probably will not spring you to the top. Now, if you rock the interview, you'll have a chance to get a higher score. Add that to your GPA and MCAT "score." Now, if you are an OOS applicant, you might want to give a minus point. The total of these scores is the one that determines your fate.. accept or waitlist or reject... if waitlist, then if it is high enough, you might be at the upper third or middle third. If you can honestly be confident with your final score there and don't mind extra hundreds of dollars of debt, then go with your heart. But if things go south here, you will be a doctor anyway. You have had at least one acceptance.
 
Another Wednesday past, another round of interviews over.



*counting the days till May 1*

What is the significance of May 1? That'll be the day after I interview...

Also, it seems like people heard the day after they interview their decision! Is this how it works?!?! Also, when did you guys find out what part of the waitlist you were on? Did you find out your rank the same day as you were told you were waitlisted, or did this info come later? Thanks for the help guys!
 
What is the significance of May 1? That'll be the day after I interview...

Also, it seems like people heard the day after they interview their decision! Is this how it works?!?! Also, when did you guys find out what part of the waitlist you were on? Did you find out your rank the same day as you were told you were waitlisted, or did this info come later? Thanks for the help guys!

I got the result the next day via email. I then replied back to Mr. Rosso asking for my rank and he responded the day after. So it normally takes 2 days to find out where you are on the waitlist.
 
You guys have been so helpful to me so far...I have one more tiny question for ya! Since I sent them my letters waaaay back in August, I've gotten one more fantastic letter from an employer I've worked under for 5 years. Can I send them this extra letter? I couldn't find anything on their website about LOR. They told me that I could bring a copy of my transcripts from last semester to my interview to give to them, but I can't do this with the letter as I don't have it, Interfolio does....

Edit: also, what is May 1? I still don't get that day...
 
April 30 is the last day of interviews. May 1 is when waitlist is finalized!

Ah, so that is the day when there could be shifting of the list, like people getting moved up...I see. Well, I guess if I get lucky and get waitlisted, I'll find out my final rank when everyone else does 🙂 Thanks for the reply!
 
Ah, so that is the day when there could be shifting of the list, like people getting moved up...I see. Well, I guess if I get lucky and get waitlisted, I'll find out my final rank when everyone else does 🙂 Thanks for the reply!

well..the real movement is may 15 I think, when ppl have to narrow their choices down. may 1 is just when we find out for sure our waitlist spot, b/c before then it can move up or down depending on interviewees.
 
well..the real movement is may 15 I think, when ppl have to narrow their choices down. may 1 is just when we find out for sure our waitlist spot, b/c before then it can move up or down depending on interviewees.
There may be some movement on May 1st if they can't find anyone in the last batch to fill the available spots... or so I hope :laugh:.
 
There may be some movement on May 1st if they can't find anyone in the last batch to fill the available spots... or so I hope :laugh:.

Well, they'll just have to take me from the last batch to fill a spot...that's the best solution I can think of here 😛
 
1- Isradoc1983: --------bottom 1/3
2- beachblonde---------bottom 1/3
3- patiencebites:------ bottom 1/3
4- Dancingdoc----------bottom 1/3
5- killer*imstinct----------bottom 1/3


1- lackoftalent: ------- middle 1/3
2- fifer---------------------middle 1/3
3- Pam Beesley------ middle 1/3
4- Smctbone------------middle 1/3
5- Psych------------------middle 1/3
6- ajk63--------------------middle 1/3
7- DrCuriousGeorge----------middle 1/3


1- rds726----------- -upper 1/3 (withdrew 3/4)
2- TGUkids ----------upper 1/3
3- vader34mt------- upper 1/3
4- aubg23y78-------upper 1/3
5 - Laker4Life-------- upper 1/3
6- 0101010101-------upper 1/3
7- thzone1986--------upper 1/3
8- LeftCoaster--------upper 1/3
9- Nashaa------------upper 1/3

10- brsboarder--------upper 1/3
11- LeLu-------------upper 1/3


Maybe upper/middle thirds will fall over, revealing the melted goodness of the bottom third![/QUOTE]
 
1- Isradoc1983: --------bottom 1/3
2- beachblonde---------bottom 1/3
3- patiencebites:------ bottom 1/3
4- Dancingdoc----------bottom 1/3
5- killer*imstinct----------bottom 1/3
6- Justadreamer----------bottom 1/3

1- lackoftalent: ------- middle 1/3
2- fifer---------------------middle 1/3
3- Pam Beesley------ middle 1/3
4- Smctbone------------middle 1/3
5- Psych------------------middle 1/3
6- ajk63--------------------middle 1/3
7- DrCuriousGeorge----------middle 1/3


1- rds726----------- -upper 1/3 (withdrew 3/4)
2- TGUkids ----------upper 1/3
3- vader34mt------- upper 1/3
4- aubg23y78-------upper 1/3
5 - Laker4Life-------- upper 1/3
6- 0101010101-------upper 1/3
7- thzone1986--------upper 1/3
8- LeftCoaster--------upper 1/3
9- Nashaa------------upper 1/3

10- brsboarder--------upper 1/3
11- LeLu-------------upper 1/3


Don't get too discouraged yet! That list might very well reassemble itself once all the interviews are done and people start withdrawing from the waitlist as they get in where they would prefer!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1- Isradoc1983: --------bottom 1/3
2- beachblonde---------bottom 1/3
3- patiencebites:------ bottom 1/3
4- Dancingdoc----------bottom 1/3
5- killer*imstinct----------bottom 1/3
6- Justadreamer----------bottom 1/3

1- lackoftalent: ------- middle 1/3
2- fifer---------------------middle 1/3
3- Pam Beesley------ middle 1/3
4- Smctbone------------middle 1/3
5- Psych------------------middle 1/3
6- ajk63--------------------middle 1/3
7- DrCuriousGeorge----------middle 1/3


1- rds726----------- -upper 1/3 (withdrew 3/4)
2- TGUkids ----------upper 1/3
3- vader34mt------- upper 1/3
4- aubg23y78-------upper 1/3
5 - Laker4Life-------- upper 1/3
6- 0101010101-------upper 1/3
7- thzone1986--------upper 1/3
8- LeftCoaster--------upper 1/3
9- Nashaa------------upper 1/3

10- brsboarder--------upper 1/3
11- LeLu-------------upper 1/3


Don't get too discouraged yet! That list might very well reassemble itself once all the interviews are done and people start withdrawing from the waitlist as they get in where they would prefer!

QFT, just check out last year's waitlist thread. A huge portion got moved up.
 
Has anyone heard of any wait list movement lately? Is it possible/likely that Buffalo Admissions will start dipping into the wait list prior to May 15th?
 
Has anyone heard of any wait list movement lately? Is it possible/likely that Buffalo Admissions will start dipping into the wait list prior to May 15th?

unlikely i would think, after they swore up and down they don't "interview for waitlists"
 
They interview through the last day of April, so it may start moving right before or on May 15, but I wouldn't think it would move while they're still interviewing candidates. Once the list is finalized on May 1 there might be a bit of movement start if enough people withdrew before the May 15 deadline. However, the impression that I get is that most people hold acceptances until the last possible minute, even though they know they won't be going there. I really don't understand that one...
 
No one was added to the waitlist this week?
How often do they interview, weekly or bi-weekly?

scowdeva,
To answer your question, most people don't withdraw until the last minute because they want to compare financial aid packages. Also, because it's so hard to get accepted, people are naturally reluctant to let it go. That's my theory.