University of Chicago Transfer Acceptance Rate (WOW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardiothoracic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking around and I expected to find really low transfer rates to the University of Chicago, but I seem to be finding the exact opposite. I'm seeing numbers anywhere from 12% to 25% (different years). How accurate is this really? Are transfer rates percentages apart of the overall acceptance rate? For example; if the acceptance rate is 10%, and includes 100 people, and the transfer acceptance rate is 20%, does that mean 20% of the 10%? So about 20 students each year get in as transfer students?; or is it 10% of the people that are transferring? Hope that wasn't too difficult to understand. Thanks for viewing this thread and trying to help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking around and I expected to find really low transfer rates to the University of Chicago, but I seem to be finding the exact opposite. I'm seeing numbers anywhere from 12% to 25% (different years). How accurate is this really? Are transfer rates percentages apart of the overall acceptance rate? For example; if the acceptance rate is 10%, and includes 100 people, and the transfer acceptance rate is 20%, does that mean 20% of the 10%? So about 20 students each year get in as transfer students?; or is it 10% of the people that are transferring? Hope that wasn't too difficult to understand. Thanks for viewing this thread and trying to help me out.

Dunno, just apply to Chicago if you get rejected apply through transfer. If you really want to know just ask the people yourself. What you are saying is confusing.

long story short

transfer acceptance rates are usually high than regular freshman acceptance rates.

Members don't see this ad :)

You're forgetting that the people entering Chicago are people that usually go to other top 25 schools. They're basically trading students that are in the same caliber. It's probably much harder to get into Chicago from an unranked school.

You're forgetting that the people entering Chicago are people that usually go to other top 25 schools. They're basically trading students that are in the same caliber. It's probably much harder to get into Chicago from an unranked school.

This is generally not the case. Transfer students typically are high-achieving students from state or less-academically known universities.

For example, the only transfers I knew at my alma mater (WashU, similar caliber school) came from Northeastern, Iowa state, and Southern Illinois. Yes, n=3, but this should give you an idea.

And the second response was very correct. Transfer rates are typically higher, as the process is fairly self-selective, unlike admissions from high school.

Transfer acceptance rates are usually higher than traditional student acceptance rates. Reason being that when colleges look at you as a high school junior, they're trying to predict how you're going to be in college. When they look at you as a first or second year college student there's no more guessing involved, so it's a safe bet for them as long as you have what they want.

I'd believe it. I know two people who transferred out of university of chicago because they didn't like it. I guess the environment there isn't for everyone so there ends up being some room for people after freshmen year.

Transfer acceptance rates are usually higher than traditional student acceptance rates. Reason being that when colleges look at you as a high school junior, they're trying to predict how you're going to be in college. When they look at you as a first or second year college student there's no more guessing involved, so it's a safe bet for them as long as you have what they want.

long story short

transfer acceptance rates are usually high than regular freshman acceptance rates.

This is actually false, all of the top 15 have lower transfer acceptance rates, except for Brown (2.3% higher), MIT (.2% higher), and Cornell (because it has the guaranteed transfer program).

And According to this list, UChicago has a rate of 7.8%, much lower than regular admissions.

These rates are all based on how many transfers apply.

http://transferweb.com/stats/transfer-acceptance-rates/#.UZ6v8YdFuh0

Now there are definitely some schools that have a higher rate, but majority of the top 50 have either a lower transfer rate or around the same.

"Where fun comes to die" ... over exaggeration? If that's the case than I'd rather try to get into U. Penn. I heard that they have a pretty awesome social scene over there.

"Where fun comes to die" ... over exaggeration? If that's the case than I'd rather try to get into U. Penn. I heard that they have a pretty awesome social scene over there.

I'm sure that's an exaggeration. You could try getting into both, but don't get your hopes too high.

I personally recommend applying to schools with at least a 10% rate, and you can throw in the mega super impossible reaches like Harvard and MIT etc. if you wish, but just have some match and safety schools.

I wouldn't put too much faith in acceptance rate statistics as an indicator of your "competitiveness" as an applicant. A lot of this depends on marketing, perception of the school by the public on several variables, and the extent to which the school is willing to go to decrease its acceptance rate in order to inflate its ranking, relative to its competitors.

Lol @ "where fun comes to die." If you're truly worried that you could be surrounded by thousands of college kids (+ Chicago!) and still not manage to have fun, then maybe don't apply ;).

On another note, I agree that it's wise to not only apply to super competitive schools.

it's also a self selected group. most people who know that they don't have a chance don't apply

long story short

Everyone who's saying that transfer acceptance rates are higher than regular freshman acceptance rates is wrong (at least regarding top schools).

Everyone who's saying that transfer acceptance rates are higher than regular freshman acceptance rates is wrong (at least regarding top schools).
for top public schools, and for most private schools, transfer acceptance rates are higher than regular freshman acceptance rate
It's only for top private schools that transfers miss out - partly because so few students drop out and free up spots.

I said regarding top schools, referring to ~top 20 or so, and all of those are privates with lower transfer acceptance rates than freshman acceptance rates, with the exceptions of Vanderbilt and Cornell.