University of Hawai'i

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calaxer19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's always been my dream to attend med school in Hawai'i and practice medicine there. Relatively, how difficult is it to gain admission there as an out-of-state applicant?

Their website has been down for me for the past two days, unfortunately.

Any information on this school would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard somewhere that they take very few if any out-of-staters at their school, unless you are a descendent of native Hawaiians.

Don't know for sure how true it is, but I thought I'd share what little I know. :)

I've heard the same thing - you also have to show a great interest in their Problem Based Learning curriculum or they'll think you want to surf more than practice medicine (I've heard they can be very blunt during interviews).

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the MSAR 2002-2003:

Class size: 62

First priority: applicants with strong ties to the State of Hawaii.

Two screenings: first for ties to state. 5 categories of ties: legal residence, birthplace, high school graduated, college attended, parents' legal residence. Ties demonstrated by at least 3 of the 5.

Next, academic screen for interview invitation. Besides the usual, there is an evaluation of what the potential student might contribute to the health professions in the Pacific.

For those who reach a secondary screening level, interviews are conducted in Hawaii.

Acceptance, alternate and rejection letters are mailed by late April. Offers of acceptance are sent to the top-ranked applicants. Non-resident students must be highly ranked, preferably with some ties to Hawaii, to be accepted.

2000 entering class: median cum. GPA, 3.53; median MCAT, VR 10, PS 10, BS, 10.

The faculty and student body are cosmopolitan and include Caucasians, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Micronesians, Samoans, African-Americans and others.

Thanks for the info! This board is awesome.

I think my reasons to attend med school in Hawaii and practice medicine there are genuine and valid, although I only meet one of their 5 criteria (I was born there). I'd like to practice there because of the relatively high Japanese-American population there.

Hopefully, I'll have the stats to apply 3 years from now.

When you apply--or better, before you apply--three years from now, get in touch with their Admissions Office, find out if the rules have changed and ask if being born there may be sufficient. The MSAR pages for each medical school open with "ADDRESS INQUIRIES TO:"

Thanks for the tip! I plan on writting them a letter soon to see what options, if any, I have there.

Take care!

I understand they accept about 6 internationals--Pacific Asian origin--per year as well.

In my internationalist/tropical persepctive, UH-SOM is the very best U.S. medical school.

If you are truly intent to go there, consider doing undergrad there.

I would have LOVED to go there for undergrad, but it's hard to turn down the UCs.

Any suggestions for the letter I'm going to write to them? I would like to express my interest in the school, and hopefully strike a dialogue with someone there.