PhD/PsyD University of Kentucky PhD Program & Others for Neuropsych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeuroPsychosis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I will be interviewing with Clinical Psych PhD programs soon and I was wondering if I could get some input from experts on the reputation of some of these programs, particularly in Neuropsychology training; also in comparison to others on my list:

University of Kentucky vs Rosalind Franklin vs Maine vs UofKansas.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks!

M

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any personal experience (i.e., didn't attend or interview at any of them), but the University of KY has a pretty strong neuropsych reputation. I believe KU has a pretty strong overall reputation as well. Not sure on Rosalind Franklin. It looks expensive, but it also looks like recent students have received 50%, 75%, or 100% tuition waivers, and the internship match rates have notably improved. Not sure about Maine, either, but it's a state university with small class sizes and solid internship match rates.

Reactions: 1 user
KU has at least 3 diff Psych PhD programs, all of them excellent. Their clinical program is more on the research side but still provides solid clinical training. I’m not as familiar w their current neuropsych faculty, but I’m familiar w a bunch of their faculty and graduates from the past 10-15 years, and they are all solid.

UK has the benefit of Lexington, KY which is a gorgeous part of the country. I don’t know more than that though. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to what has already been said, I know that you are least likely to be shoveling snow in U of KY if that is not your thing :rofl:

At this stage, I would worry less about reputation and more about funding, types of current training opportunities, and that graduates are finishing in a timely manner and ending up where they want to be.

Reactions: 2 users
Can't speak specifically to neuro, but I have several friends who graduated from University of Kentucky - all of whom are now faculty members at relatively prestigious institutions. It is a PCSAS member. My colleagues are mostly researchers, but all appear to have had strong clinical training from what I can tell.

For what it is worth, they all also absolutely adored Lexington to such a degree that I kinda want to visit, even though it would be an utterly bizarre place to take a vacation.

Reactions: 1 users
On the topic of geographic location, I'll add that Orono, ME, is a pretty isolated location. It's located within an hour or so of some of- imho- the most beautiful geography the country has to offer (Acadia NP), but it's a really small town (but lovely) next to another small town (Bangor) that serves as the "big town" in the area. Some really great smallmouth and brookie fishing close by (though I'm guessing that's not your thing!), and lots of good outdoor stuff to do. DEFINITELY be sure to really check out the area before you consider committing to UMaine. I love it up there and like winter, but the winters in north-central Maine can be long and bleak and isolating if you're not used to it (and even if you are). Once the snow melts, it's a month or so of mud, black flies, and mosquitoes, but followed by a glorious mild summer and spectacular fall. I'd pick it over the south and the heat/humidity that comes with it, but ymmv. In general, I'd say funding and quality of training are really the most important and some geographical flexibility is warranted. However, UMaine is REALLY UP THERE, geographically speaking, with even the nearest big city (Boston) being a pretty unrealistic day trip (7 hours round trip, minimum).

For what it is worth, they all also absolutely adored Lexington to such a degree that I kinda want to visit, even though it would be an utterly bizarre place to take a vacation.

The combination of old tobacco money, the horse-y set, Saudi royals, Toyota executives, loads of migrant farm workers, every single misfit and genderqueer person in the Eastern half of the state moving there, and bourbon distilleries for days makes for a very interesting combination.

Actually having lots of farms nearby and people willing to drop large sums of money means it punches way above its weight restaurant wise. It's not NYC or LA but mid-upper tier.

Thanks all! Great perspectives. I am really starting to enjoy learning more about UKY, one thing I really noticed is that the medical center is on campus compared to KU where you must commute 40 mins to the KU Medical center for practicum. UKY mentor's lab is at the SOM, so its quite convenient to just have a short bike ride between classes, hospital, and housing... I would probably would wait and finish interviewing at University of Florida first since that program seem to have the most upper hand in neuropsych training (also, where I end up receiving offers would possibly change this conversation ofc! but I am just planning ahead).

Not sure on Rosalind Franklin. It looks expensive
You are correct, RFU actually has the lowest funding package out of all. They offer full tuition waiver but only about $9,000 of stipend per year. Pretty solid program and training quality but not a college town and no undergrads, so I am unsure if i'd really enjoy that.

UF is of course also a great program. But I wouldn't choose it over, say, UK just based on reputation. I'd pick whichever program offers a mentor with whom you get along and who is a good fit for your interests, and the availability of varied clinical and research opportunities. But that's me.

Status
Not open for further replies.