Program-Specific Info / Q's UNIVERSITY OF MARY OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daclau

Reaction score
Hi! I was just accepted into the University of Mary Billings MT location. Just trying to get some feedback on pros and cons of program and living in that area. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Congratulations! I was also accepted so I will share a bit of my thinking.

Pros: affordability (total cost is in the high 80k range, which combined which cheap COL in Billings is attractive), small cohort size (I believe they keep it to about 16) which means you would get an exceptional amount of attention and would create a very familial vibe, accreditation is well established since they've been the only fully-accredited program in MT for a few years and lastly travel opportunity. I'm not sure who you interviewed with but Dr. Kitzenburg goes annually to Guatemala, Peru etc with OT students and students from other programs (nursing, engineering, etc) to do service learning projects.
Cons: this is a con for me, maybe isn't for you, but highly religious atmosphere. I am not so interested in having prayer and God involved in my day-to-day learning so this is ultimately why I am declining, but this could be a pro for you. The other con I see is that they don't have a full apartment lab and they don't use real cadavers for anatomy.

Hope this helps and again, congratulations!!

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it. It is a tough decision. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Congratulations! I was also accepted so I will share a bit of my thinking.

Pros: affordability (total cost is in the high 80k range, which combined which cheap COL in Billings is attractive), small cohort size (I believe they keep it to about 16) which means you would get an exceptional amount of attention and would create a very familial vibe, accreditation is well established since they've been the only fully-accredited program in MT for a few years and lastly travel opportunity. I'm not sure who you interviewed with but Dr. Kitzenburg goes annually to Guatemala, Peru etc with OT students and students from other programs (nursing, engineering, etc) to do service learning projects.
Cons: this is a con for me, maybe isn't for you, but highly religious atmosphere. I am not so interested in having prayer and God involved in my day-to-day learning so this is ultimately why I am declining, but this could be a pro for you. The other con I see is that they don't have a full apartment lab and they don't use real cadavers for anatomy.

Hope this helps and again, congratulations!!
Hi there! I see that you have decided to decline, but I also was thinking the same thing you said about the highly religious atmosphere. I just put in an application because I see they are still accepting (and I have been either rejected or waitlisted from all of my other schools), but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't have much knowledge of this school, other than the location, so if you have any feedback please let me know!

Hi there! I see that you have decided to decline, but I also was thinking the same thing you said about the highly religious atmosphere. I just put in an application because I see they are still accepting (and I have been either rejected or waitlisted from all of my other schools), but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't have much knowledge of this school, other than the location, so if you have any feedback please let me know!
To me it seems like an excellent program. In my interview I met three faculty and one student. Overall, I got the sense that the instructors are warm and friendly educators and that they'd care deeply about you as a student. I've attended info sessions and interviews with other schools that didn't leave me with this feeling, so that says something.

Yeah, it's a religious school, but I wouldn't let that stop you unless it really irks you. In my case, I was raised in a cult so my tolerance for that stuff is pretty low, but I still interviewed at two schools with heavily religious undertones because they were affordable. At one interview (not UMary), there was worship music playing and naturally, I tolerated it, but given how much money we are spending on this education, I figure I should feel right at home and decided to pass on these programs. This is just my story.

I already mentioned her in my first response to this thread but I'll reiterate, Dr. Paula Kitzenberg is an absolute joy. She was so easy to talk with and I thoroughly enjoyed interviewing with her. She leads these incredible trips to Central and South America which is a unique aspect of any OT program. If you have a passion or interest in global health topics, that could be a selling feature for you. If you have specific questions, I am happy to answer them.

To me it seems like an excellent program. In my interview I met three faculty and one student. Overall, I got the sense that the instructors are warm and friendly educators and that they'd care deeply about you as a student. I've attended info sessions and interviews with other schools that didn't leave me with this feeling, so that says something.

Yeah, it's a religious school, but I wouldn't let that stop you unless it really irks you. In my case, I was raised in a cult so my tolerance for that stuff is pretty low, but I still interviewed at two schools with heavily religious undertones because they were affordable. At one interview (not UMary), there was worship music playing and naturally, I tolerated it, but given how much money we are spending on this education, I figure I should feel right at home and decided to pass on these programs. This is just my story.

I already mentioned her in my first response to this thread but I'll reiterate, Dr. Paula Kitzenberg is an absolute joy. She was so easy to talk with and I thoroughly enjoyed interviewing with her. She leads these incredible trips to Central and South America which is a unique aspect of any OT program. If you have a passion or interest in global health topics, that could be a selling feature for you. If you have specific questions, I am happy to answer them.
I understand. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences! I think I will do the interview and see how that feels. Would you mind telling me a little about the interview? Thanks again!

I understand. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences! I think I will do the interview and see how that feels. Would you mind telling me a little about the interview? Thanks again!
Happy to! The interview starts with an overview of the program. Are you applying to the Billings, MT location? There are two locations in North Dakota with different faculty members, but if you're applying to Billings, Dr. Kitzenberg will likely lead this portion. In it you'll get to know a lot more about the program and what makes it unique. Take notes, write down questions so you can ask them at the end!

I was with only one other applicant when I interviewed. Since it is very late in the cycle (I think their program begins this summer?) you would likely be alone, so that's cool!

After the presentation, you will probably meet 2 more faculty members and possibly a student. They will definitely ask you why you are interested in their specific program so be prepared for that. Another thing they would likely ask (especially if you are from far away) is what appeals to you about studying in Montana. Personally, I have an interest in rural and underserved communities and these are job markets that are not saturated so that bodes well for the future OT. Do a little bit of research about healthcare topics in rural America if you haven't done so already.

There is no writing portion. There is no group project.

Lastly, one tip that I would give about any interview is to toggle back and forth between rapid-fire answers and pausing. When you're asked "why do you want to become an OT?" obviously don't pause 🤣, but apart from really predictable questions like that, pause for the personal ones. Sort through your experiences and choose a response that is powerful and unique rather than the first thing that comes to mind. You will leave a lasting impression on these folks when you take a moment to reflect and produce a memorable answer. This applies to public speaking in general (modulate between passionate monologue and slowing down/pausing) but can be helpful to remember in an interview as well, when often the nervous system prompts you to get it all over with as soon as possible. You're gonna be great 💕

Happy to! The interview starts with an overview of the program. Are you applying to the Billings, MT location? There are two locations in North Dakota with different faculty members, but if you're applying to Billings, Dr. Kitzenberg will likely lead this portion. In it you'll get to know a lot more about the program and what makes it unique. Take notes, write down questions so you can ask them at the end!

I was with only one other applicant when I interviewed. Since it is very late in the cycle (I think their program begins this summer?) you would likely be alone, so that's cool!

After the presentation, you will probably meet 2 more faculty members and possibly a student. They will definitely ask you why you are interested in their specific program so be prepared for that. Another thing they would likely ask (especially if you are from far away) is what appeals to you about studying in Montana. Personally, I have an interest in rural and underserved communities and these are job markets that are not saturated so that bodes well for the future OT. Do a little bit of research about healthcare topics in rural America if you haven't done so already.

There is no writing portion. There is no group project.

Lastly, one tip that I would give about any interview is to toggle back and forth between rapid-fire answers and pausing. When you're asked "why do you want to become an OT?" obviously don't pause 🤣, but apart from really predictable questions like that, pause for the personal ones. Sort through your experiences and choose a response that is powerful and unique rather than the first thing that comes to mind. You will leave a lasting impression on these folks when you take a moment to reflect and produce a memorable answer. This applies to public speaking in general (modulate between passionate monologue and slowing down/pausing) but can be helpful to remember in an interview as well, when often the nervous system prompts you to get it all over with as soon as possible. You're gonna be great 💕
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and informative response! I will be sure to do some research prior to my interview and hit those points you mentioned. I definitely have a tendency to rush through my responses due to wanting to be done as quick as possible, but I will try to remember to remain calm and think about my answers before speaking. Thank you again and best of luck to you in your OT journey!

I am a university of Mary graduate. It is a top notch program. Dr. K and staff in Billings are phenomenal. Yes, it is a catholic program, but as someone who isn’t catholic- or very religious for that matter- I never felt it to be over bearing by that aspect of the program. It’s an affordable program and you get a quality education- I can’t say enough about this program. I suppose my only piece of advice would be to reflect on where you want to work after school. Specifically to MT, between the university of Mary, and now Rocky mnt college which is also located in Billings, these two schools have and are producing a lot of students who have taken jobs in Montana. The jobs in Montana are quite limited now outside of the very rural areas of Montana which still needs OT help.

I am a university of Mary graduate. It is a top notch program. Dr. K and staff in Billings are phenomenal. Yes, it is a catholic program, but as someone who isn’t catholic- or very religious for that matter- I never felt it to be over bearing by that aspect of the program. It’s an affordable program and you get a quality education- I can’t say enough about this program. I suppose my only piece of advice would be to reflect on where you want to work after school. Specifically to MT, between the university of Mary, and now Rocky mnt college which is also located in Billings, these two schools have and are producing a lot of students who have taken jobs in Montana. The jobs in Montana are quite limited now outside of the very rural areas of Montana which still needs OT help.
Thank you for your feedback! It does sound like a great program. I am excited to interview tomorrow and learn more about it.

Hii I was also accepted and have decided to go! Would love to know anyone else considering going or joining this fall...
I was just accepted! Do you know of anyone else attending?

Have my interview tomorrow and I'm so nervous!!!! Anyone have any advice?

Have my interview tomorrow and I'm so nervous!!!! Anyone have any advice?
Which campus are you interviewing for? Mine was super chill and quite short. I received an email 30 minutes after my interview saying I was accepted! You’ll do great, honestly just be yourself and relax. Out of all of the interviews I’ve had, this was by far the most chill. Good luck!