University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDgirl2008

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how competitive University of Maryland is? Is it more competitive than Tufts University and Boston University to get into? I'm a Maryland resident.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I read on other threads - Maryland is a very easy school to get in for Maryland residents. The school gets more out-state applications than in-state. If you meet their requirements, you should be set.

If it is of any help, I will be joining the c/o 2008. I am from CA. I was interviewed 10/21 and accepted on 12/1 of last year of course.

I hope that you'll get accepted and we can be classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Mo007
From what I read on other threads - Maryland is a very easy school to get in for Maryland residents. The school gets more out-state applications than in-state. If you meet their requirements, you should be set.

This isn't really the whole truth. University of Maryland is a VERY extremley compettitive school for not just out of state students, but in state students as well. Alot of people within the undergraduate system would give their souls to get in there, this is concerning the campus at College Park mind you, their main campus. I believe that the dental school is on the baltimore campus, and under the impression that it too is very hard to get into. I've seen pictures of the campus though and it really isn't a beautiful place, but then again, you are right near everything in Baltimore. I myself would probably apply there if I still lived in Maryland.

I agree that its a fairly easy school to get into for in state.

for the class of 2003 111 instate applied and 56 enrolled. This doesnt include the number that were accepted and decided to go elsewhere.

DAT AA 19.11 PA 17.31 TS 19.0 gpa 3.41 science 3.30

These are the stats they gave us during the interview.

nonetheless, UMD is a great dental school. It is known for producing dentists with great hand skills. Also, they just put up a new building for the dental school I think. I know for out of state it's pretty competitive, but for in state I'm not sure. Not like MD is a huge state though, so I'd assume the odds are in your favor (as with just about any in-state school).

I interviewed at UMaryland, UPenn, Boston Univ. and Tufts. I got accepted to Tufts and BU and I'm still waiting to hear from UMaryland and UPenn. I was wondering what my chances of getting accepted to UMaryland are considering that I'm in state and I did get accepted to Tufts and BU. Is UMaryland more competitive than Tufts and BU?

Originally posted by futureD
If it is of any help, I will be joining the c/o 2008. I am from CA. I was interviewed 10/21 and accepted on 12/1 of last year of course.

I hope that you'll get accepted and we can be classmates.

futureD: I will let you know if I get into UMaryland. Hopefully I will hear from them soon!!!