University of Michigan COP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LapisLazuli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what people on this board think or have heard of UMich. It was ranked pretty high last time they did rankings, but would it be worth it to go there if you're out of state and your cheaper state school accepts you as well?

I see no one really mentions UM-COP on this board, its lost amidst the endless California threads. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

They have a very small class, but also get very few apps. (only about 150 applied last year). They love out of staters and minorities. So if you're an under represented minority, I?d say your chances are pretty good.
BTW, I'd contact Dean Perry, they're strict about some of their prereqs. She told a friend of mine, minority female, "If you keep a B- average you're in". Good Luck

Why do they get so few apps? How many apps do other pharm schools get on average?

You would think they would get more apps off of their reputation, which, if I'm not mistaken, is pretty good?..

Members don't see this ad :)
They have a decent reputation, but sometimes I hear that students get lost in the shuffle with the MD and DDS students. Their out of state tuition is pretty high, they have a small class size, and living in Ann Arbor costs a fortune. The upside is that they have a teaching hospital, and they are generally ranked highly (especially when they are ranked by research $). I never applied there, but I did meet with Val Perry. She indicated that they were looking for very high GPAs and some odd classes (300 or 400 level stats, 300 or 400 level Biochem, Calc 2, etc). They didn?t require the PCAT when I was inquiring, but they would accept it if your score was outstanding. They will publicly admit that they give extra points to minority apps, and they will almost never accept community college students.

I lived in Michigan for most of my life, and it was pretty rare to run into a UofM pharmacist. I suspect they are working mostly in hospital/industry. UofM is generally regarded as a great school, so I would apply if it?s something that interests you. I knew a few students at Ferris State COP who were waitlisted at UofM. During the first week of classes, UofM called to accept them. They didn?t go. I?ve never heard of a ?B-? being accepted at UofM, but I suppose it?s possible.

Yeah, the only real turn-off in UofM for me is the price. Eveything else I've heard about the school sounds great. I got in already, but I'm out of state.

I'm a New Jersey resident, and the only other pharm school I applied to is Rutgers. But they supposedly don't send out decisions till mid-May, which makes it really difficult to plan for the summer...

Anyone hear from Rutgers yet?