University of Michigan-Flint

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinkerbellx2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I got an email today saying that I've been admitted into the University of Michigan-Flint's DPT program! I am excited and also surprised to hear so early. For some reason I thought there was going to be an interview!

I was wondering if any of you guys have applied/hear from UM-Flint and if you've visited the program. My family lives in Michigan so I was going to see if I could check out the school over winter break. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I just got the good news too. Ill definately be going to UM-Flint this fall so i hope to see your their. Im from Chicago and am not too familiar with Flint Michigan. In your opinion, is it safe?

hey congrats on your acceptances! can you guys message me or post a little about the process and your stats. You said they do not interview, so all you have to do is turn in your app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Their are 5-6 supplemental questions that you need to complete on PTCAS for UM-Flint. I think this is their version of an interview. Basic questions "why do you want to become a physical therapist" and such. I applied in November and attended an open house in January. Open house was just to see the campus and meet the students/faculty.

Pretty much just turn in your ptcas application with the supplemental questions filled out and your set!
Hope this helps.

Psychology Major from University of illinois at Chicago
Cumulative GPA: 3.43
GRE: 1090 (not sure how this translates to the new GRE)
Math/Sci GPA: 3.19
Sci GPA: 3.25
Pre-Req: 3.35
Work: Full time Rehab Tech in Nursing Home Setting since July 2011 (1000+ hours)

Hey all. I am a current first year student at UM-Flint. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Congrats on your acceptance!!

The business district of Flint (where the school is located) is actually pretty nice and we go out there from time to time. Most students live in Grand Blanc, a 10 minute drive from campus. I'd say about 25 people in our class live in Thornridge apartments.

Hey all. I am a current first year student at UM-Flint. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Congrats on your acceptance!!

The business district of Flint (where the school is located) is actually pretty nice and we go out there from time to time. Most students live in Grand Blanc, a 10 minute drive from campus. I'd say about 25 people in our class live in Thornridge apartments.
I'll also be attending UM-Flint in the fall! I was wondering how you figured out your housing and roommate (if you have one)? Did the university send out anything or was it kind of on you all to organize it yourselves?

hp73 - My experience was very similar to Tiumoy's. I made sure to spend some extra time on the supplemental questions since there was no interview. I don't have much to add, but here are my stats just fyi:

Movement Science major from the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
Cumulative GPA: 3.24
Pre-req GPA (for Flint): 3.02
GRE: 1370; 4.5 AW
Hours: 150 outpatient orthopedic, 30 at a skilled nursing facility
Extra stuff: Worked 20-30 hrs/week, several different student orgs, other volunteer experiences

thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on your acceptance! On your supplemental questions were your answers brief or were they lengthy. I only ask because I can write for days if thats what they are asking for. Thanks again for your input

The length of my answers varied from question to question, but I didn't pay as much attention to length as I did content. I wanted to get my answer/point across clearly and wrote enough to do so, but didn't try to fill space just to have a longer answer. Hope that helps and best of luck to you!

gobluept- yes this has helped tremendously. Thanks for sharing your insight

I still haven't heard back from UofM-Flint. I assume it's not good news, since everyone has basically heard back already.

The odd thing is that I spoke with admissions last week (like Monday/Tuesday) and they said they were sending me a letter within the next 24 hours. Well, it's been about 8-9 days...

Booo-urns.

I'm also in the same boat as Abba Zabba. I heard that admission decisions went out the second week of February. I already called once and they said we'd be hearing last week and it's been a week since then.... We all just want to hear admission decisions so we can have peace of mind either way

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the good news this morning, I got in! Wooop! :)

Seriously blew my mind a little bit, because they waited so long to tell me, so I figured it had to be bad news

Parasurfore, they said that they sent out all remaining notification emails this morning. Good luck to ya, mate!

abbazabba: nice job! ill cu august 29th (first day of classes) then.

GobluePT: dang nice job on your GRE, I wish i could of got a score that high. You must have studied your ass off for the vocabulary section. Or maybe your just a bookworm... lol.

Hey, I figured out housing by talking to current students. Most people live in Thornridge or other apartment complexes in Grand Blanc. What most people did was decide whether to live in Thornridge or not with/without a roommate. I would recommend going to Thornridge (if that is what you decide) and apply for an apartment early, they tend to fill up around August. At the July orientation, most people found roommates there or through our facebook group for our class.

Im still in the dark over here! So they still haven't sent out all of the decisions

Tiumoy - haha it was a little of both

Dreamer - Thanks! Did someone from your class just start the facebook group?

Yeah, I'd say around May/June we had a Facebook page. Someone in our class started a page and started inviting those they knew were coming. The rest of us just searched for UM-Flint DPT 2014 and found it. It was really nice to talk about stuff with each other and get an idea of who is in your class. =)

Dreamer - Thanks again for all the info! What are other apartment complexes in the Grand Blanc area besides Thornridge that I should check out?

Have you guys taken Exercise physiology with lab and medical terminology?

So this year is up and running. Anyone excited to hear the news for this round?

I am applying for U of M-Flint's fall 2013 class. UGH SO NERVOUS! Good luck everyone!

Are there any U of M PT students on here that can offer any advice about the program? How do you like the program so far?

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others" - Ghandi

I am applying for U of M-Flint's fall 2013 class. UGH SO NERVOUS! Good luck everyone!

Are there any U of M PT students on here that can offer any advice about the program? How do you like the program so far?

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others" - Ghandi
I'm currently in my first year at UM and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

In general, I'm loving the program so far. The faculty are awesome, very relatable and accessible and good teachers. Our class is already pretty close and there isn't any competition over grades, there's definitely a "we're all in this together" mentality. There have been a ton of opportunities for research, community service (including work in the student run pro bono clinic), and social gatherings.

Flint while not the most interesting place in the world, isn't a bad place to be either. Safety concerns are overblown. Like any other city (Detroit, Chicago, Philly) there are places you shouldn't be walking around by yourself late at night. Campus itself is very safe, I've never once felt unsafe or worried about my car on campus. Most of us live in Grand Blanc about 15 minutes south of Flint. It's very affordable and while there's not a ton to do (makes it easier to focus on school) we still find ways to have fun.

Like I said before, I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions you or anyone else has. And if there are any other current UM students lurking around here feel free to chime in haha.

I'm currently in my first year at UM and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

In general, I'm loving the program so far. The faculty are awesome, very relatable and accessible and good teachers. Our class is already pretty close and there isn't any competition over grades, there's definitely a "we're all in this together" mentality. There have been a ton of opportunities for research, community service (including work in the student run pro bono clinic), and social gatherings.

Flint while not the most interesting place in the world, isn't a bad place to be either. Safety concerns are overblown. Like any other city (Detroit, Chicago, Philly) there are places you shouldn't be walking around by yourself late at night. Campus itself is very safe, I've never once felt unsafe or worried about my car on campus. Most of us live in Grand Blanc about 15 minutes south of Flint. It's very affordable and while there's not a ton to do (makes it easier to focus on school) we still find ways to have fun.

Like I said before, I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions you or anyone else has. And if there are any other current UM students lurking around here feel free to chime in haha.

Just out of curiosity, how much is tuition at UM - Flint (if you don't mind me asking)? I tried looking on the website and it appears that they changed the website from the last time I checked. Now there is no cost info anywhere...or if there is, I am having a heck of it time trying to find it! lol