University of Michigan MS in Physiology program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ferrari

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a new postbaccalaureate program getting started at the UM Medical School. A 1-year MS degree in Physiology, with either a coursework track or a research track. They're just now announcing it and taking applications for the first class of 2011-2012. More at https://physiology.med.umich.edu/programs/master/index.htm

Members don't see this ad.

Very interesting! Anyone else heard anything about this?

I was recently accepted to this program.

Is anyone considering this and thinking about medical school afterwards?

Feel free to PM as I might not ever check this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only odd thing is that they are not associated with the medical school and basically just say that if you do well, you can get LORs that may be used to help admission.

The only odd thing is that they are not associated with the medical school and basically just say that if you do well, you can get LORs that may be used to help admission.
I had a LOR from the head of one of their med school departments and it didn't help me at all...

I still applied for this program, but I think the MS in BMS at Wayne State is a little more beneficial because it actually has an association with the med school in getting program participants accepted....

Hey! Do they say anything about if you have a stellar GPA coming out of the program, they you may have an elevated chance in getting into UM med school? Or something along that line?

Hey! Do they say anything about if you have a stellar GPA coming out of the program, they you may have an elevated chance in getting into UM med school? Or something along that line?

They actually make a point to say that it does not:

"Q. Does this program have any linkages to the UM or other Medical Schools?
A. Not at the present time. After the first few years, we anticipate that your success (i.e. the program’s track record) will allow us to establish those kinds of linkages. The important ‘linkages’ that will be formed are, instead, intangible and informal but nevertheless valuable. For example, all the classes are taught by UM Medical School faculty, and getting to know one or more of them for a strong reference letter would be very valuable."

I was a Michigan honors grad, shadowed/did research with a U of M med school department head, and that department head wrote me a LOR. I didn't even get an interview. So...I wouldn't bank on getting friendly with the professors to help your chances all that much.

They actually make a point to say that it does not:

"Q. Does this program have any linkages to the UM or other Medical Schools?
A. Not at the present time. After the first few years, we anticipate that your success (i.e. the program’s track record) will allow us to establish those kinds of linkages. The important ‘linkages’ that will be formed are, instead, intangible and informal but nevertheless valuable. For example, all the classes are taught by UM Medical School faculty, and getting to know one or more of them for a strong reference letter would be very valuable."

I was a Michigan honors grad, shadowed/did research with a U of M med school department head, and that department head wrote me a LOR. I didn't even get an interview. So...I wouldn't bank on getting friendly with the professors to help your chances all that much.
Thats crap.. Was your MCAT low? (sorry if it offends u) Because from what I know Umich likes fat numbers and standout extra curricula's. But everybody knows that. I suppose we all will be able to tell more after the inaugural class graduates and see if they get in any med school including UM and other good ones.. I really hope that they do.

Hey.. Have you started classes? Would you be willing to help us by giving periodical reviews, your thoughts, vents about the program which could shed some more light?

Thanks and congrats on your first successful step towards being a DOCTOR! Well done!

Thats crap.. Was your MCAT low? (sorry if it offends u) Because from what I know Umich likes fat numbers and standout extra curricula's. But everybody knows that. I suppose we all will be able to tell more after the inaugural class graduates and see if they get in any med school including UM and other good ones.. I really hope that they do.

My MCAT wasn't stellar, but it was decent, and the rest of my app definitely made up for it, as I was told by the AdComs I've spoken to this cycle (+ documentation of overcoming a traumatic experience that made my grades slip a tad, and happened pretty close to my mcat).

Graduated in 3 years, was told by FSU AdCom that my PS was extremely well written, invented/taught a course a U of M, more ECs than fit in AMCAS (and leadership and at least 2 years of thorough involvement in almost all of them, founded three of them), 2 years research (2 different projects, one published in JAMA but I'm not listed on it), undergrad thesis, pretty diverse shadowing (ER, Family, Neurosurgery), lots of charity/volunteering (including cancer fundraising, giving 200+pairs of shoes to kids in need with TOMS Shoes, bringing awareness to the #3 killer of young Americans (suicide) with To Write Love On Her Arms, VA Hospital lab running), and solid letters of rec.

I also applied extremely late last cycle, which I was told hurt me a lot.

UMich prides itself on having a "diverse and passionate class." I went to a symposium where Dean Gay said he'd rather admit kids with lower scores who are more passionate than ones with perfect apps who aren't. Dunno how much I believe that after my experience.

Classes for the Physio program start in August/September.

Last edited:

Hi apr27 - I got accepted too and I'm going to enter! Are you going to do the program?

has anyone been rejected from this program yet? i haven't heard anything either way

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, spoke to Dr. Ruiz at the med school today: this program definitely does not and WILL NOT (ever) have the relationship wayne's program has with wayne's med school.

Also, spoke to Dr. Ruiz at the med school today: this program definitely does not and WILL NOT (ever) have the relationship wayne's program has with wayne's med school.

Will you mind asking if they would consider top students of this program to be strong candidates with proper MCAT score please? Only if you think that knowledge would help..

Will you mind asking if they would consider top students of this program to be strong candidates with proper MCAT score please? Only if you think that knowledge would help..

This is basically what he said:

They expect good candidates to come out of it, but they won't ever form a partnership with a program such that they allocate spots to program participants simply because they can be selfish (yes, he said that) since they get the cream of the crop applying. They don't want to lose the freedom to choose exactly who they want. They also used to have a medstart BS/MD program that had that relationship and they stopped it around a decade ago exactly for that reason.

He thinks it will be a good program that will produce competitive people, but there will be no relationships between the program and the med school.

Got accepted recently. Debating whether or not to enroll or attend a traditional SMP... UMich has a nice rep and so does the Phyisio department, but do their courses mirror medical school? Are their courses structured like medical school courses or at least taught by the same professors that instruct medical students? Seems like if you do well, that's a good argument to make in a medical school interview: I did well in this program that is just like the first year of medical school, therefore I will do well in your MD program.... Plus I don't envision myself being a physician-scientist at this point (even though I 200% enjoy partaking in research). The SMP I am looking at seems to be more clinically focused.

SisterDisco, are you currently applying to this program or a student at UMich? Anyone else have thoughts or insights? Am trying to do some digging/research myself...

Got accepted recently. Debating whether or not to enroll or attend a traditional SMP... UMich has a nice rep and so does the Phyisio department, but do their courses mirror medical school? Are their courses structured like medical school courses or at least taught by the same professors that instruct medical students? Seems like if you do well, that's a good argument to make in a medical school interview: I did well in this program that is just like the first year of medical school, therefore I will do well in your MD program.... Plus I don't envision myself being a physician-scientist at this point (even though I 200% enjoy partaking in research). The SMP I am looking at seems to be more clinically focused.

SisterDisco, are you currently applying to this program or a student at UMich? Anyone else have thoughts or insights? Am trying to do some digging/research myself...
Did you apply to any other SMP? If you don't mind me asking what are your stats?

I would like to do the SMP that has more classes with M1s just because it will reflect on ability to do well in medical classes. It would help to know if any of the classes they offer are with medical school..

I recently graduated from UMich, and I'm currently waiting to hear a decision on my application to this program.

I've been accepted at both UToledo and Wayne for their SMPs...really on the fence.

I WONDER IF UMICH MED SCHOOL HAVE ADMITTED STUDENTS IN PREVIOUS YEARS. I KNOW FROM GEORGETOWN SMP SOMEONE GOT IT. I REALY WANT TO KNOW THEIR STATS. DOES ANYONE KNOW MORE?.. or from other SMPs??

I WONDER IF UMICH MED SCHOOL HAVE ADMITTED STUDENTS IN PREVIOUS YEARS. I KNOW FROM GEORGETOWN SMP SOMEONE GOT IT. I REALY WANT TO KNOW THEIR STATS. DOES ANYONE KNOW MORE?.. or from other SMPs??

Dude you're freeeeeeeeeeaking out. Calm down.

Yeah dude.

Regardless of whatever you do, just do your best and rock it. You'll get in somewhere, if you really want it. It might take some time.

Accepted this morning. There are 4 more spots in the program.

It's funny, at first I wasn't considering going if I was accepted, because it doesn't have any linkage, but after speaking with some Deans/Adcoms they all said they would be most interested in seeing me at this program, so I will be going!

Accepted this morning. There are 4 more spots in the program.

It's funny, at first I wasn't considering going if I was accepted, because it doesn't have any linkage, but after speaking with some Deans/Adcoms they all said they would be most interested in seeing me at this program, so I will be going!

Good to hear you'll be attending as well. In your opinion, do you think the Deans/Adcoms believe it's a good fit for you specifically or anyone in general?

Thanks and see you in September,

apr27

Good to hear you'll be attending as well. In your opinion, do you think the Deans/Adcoms believe it's a good fit for you specifically or anyone in general?

Thanks and see you in September,

apr27

I mean, it's U of M, it'll be good in general :) Here's what they told me: I'm not the typical MS->MD candidate--I didn't have a really low GPA. Because of that they said they really didn't care if I was taking grad school classes or med school classes--I've already proven I can do the work. That said, they told me the strength of the programs I'd gotten into was U of M > Wayne > Toledo. Basically they didn't have much of a preference about Wayne vs. Toledo, but said that if I got into Michigan I should go there, because of the reputation of the school.

I think that while Wayne and Toledo have linkages to those schools, the U of M program sets us up better for all of the schools to which we'll be applying.

If any of you still check SDN, what do you all think about thd program now that you are doing it? Is the courseload manageable?

Hello all, I'm just looking for some advice and this thread caught my attention. Do you think I will be able to gain acceptance into the program with a 2.9-3.0 UG gpa and a 16 DAT? (Took the DAT without studying much at all, while taking Orgo 2 and an upper level bio course. Plan to retake in March, but also plan to apply for this program before then) Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

3.25 GPA, scGPA is a little lower. 30P mcat. good amount of ECs... spent two summers interning at a biotech, another summer as a paid research assistant at weill-cornell medical school in NYC. Got to serve as an undergrad TA twice: once for vertebrate anatomy lab, another leading discussion section for environmental studies class. Volunteered at two diff hospitals in emergency room, and GI surgery. Also coached a kids soccer team this past fall. Solid recs (one of my profs just got promoted to Dean at U of Florida). Just turned in my app last week. Thoughts on my chances?

Last edited:
I don't suppose any of the current class students still follow this forum? If they do would they be willing to tell us about their experience? positive/negatives? How was the application process this time around?

thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Just went to an information session on this last week and submitted my app just a little bit ago. Essentially, most of the students in the class elected the "coursework" track, with only 2 of the 15 or so students electing the "research" track. If I remembered correctly, only 6 of the students elected to apply to medical school and 5 received interviews/acceptances. All other students in the program decided to wait until after the program to apply to school. The program coordinators seemed very friendly and approachable, but if there is a current student who wouldn't mind commenting that might be more helpful as well. I suggest you direct any specific questions to "[email protected]"

Also, the program currently does not have any affiliation with Michigan's MD program. So if you're looking at Michigan Physiology because you think it's a way to get into Michigan's MD program, I think you should reconsider. And I believe the current class is the inaugural class, so there's no established record of success for medical schools to go off of. Something to think about

Thanks! I submitted my application this week. Still crossing my fingers that UMMS accepts me off the waitlist!

Will be attending Michigan in the fall, and looking for housing. Anyone looking for a roommate haha?

Will be attending Michigan in the fall, and looking for housing. Anyone looking for a roommate haha?

Did u already get accepted to the physiology program or are u attending Michigan for some other program? Has anyone heard back yet from the physio department?

Did u already get accepted to the physiology program or are u attending Michigan for some other program? Has anyone heard back yet from the physio department?

Got the acceptance letter Friday

Michigan received my application mid-March. So, 6 weeks til acceptance? And its a snail mail acceptance

I got accepted to the Research Track as well. Its a pretty unique option which I think sets this program apart from others

Has anyone who's been accepted been able to formally accept the position online yet?

Sent my deposit in for Columbia MS in Human Nutrition about six weeks ago and just yesterday was admitted to the research track at Michigan. I am intrigued by the research aspect of the program and the flexibility it might give me (I chose the Columbia program for the same reason though I think I might be slightly more interested the subject matter at Michigan). Obviously Michigan is a great school as well. I would be interested to hear impressions from students who are finishing the program now about the coursework, advising, and what they are doing now. I wonder if Angie might give us some emails of students currently in the program or (fingers crossed) one of them runs across this on here and can elaborate!

I just paid my deposit as well! I chose to do the coursework track. I hope some of last years students find this thread and post some of their experiences, so we have at least some idea of what to expect.

Did last years students get accepted in any medical school? I would be very interested in knowing the list of schools they got accepted at.

Did last years students get accepted in any medical school? I would be very interested in knowing the list of schools they got accepted at.

I'm in the program now, and can tell you that 4 of 6 of last years students were accepted to professional school (3 medical and 1 dental). They did not tell us whether this meant MD or DO, etc. so take that for what you will. In the program now, I know a few of us have been accepted, including myself, with one individual receiving acceptance into UM Med.

A word of caution: I believe our success, and success in a postbacc programs in general, is a testament to the quality of STUDENT and not necessarily the quality of the PROGRAM. If you're looking for a way to get into UM Med school by doing the program, I think you're making a mistake. If you're a highly-motivated student who's got a great application and is looking to shore up some academic missteps AND is willing to put in the work, then you're on the right track. Volunteering or Clinic Time doesn't come with tuition. The program does a nice job setting you up with faculty, but you need to be the one trying to make connections.

One thing that sets this program apart from any other post-bacc program out there: the Research Track option. You have an opportunity to have a MEANINGFUL research experience with esteemed faculty in either a basic science or clinical department that's actually written into your program currriculum. I'm pretty sure no other school in the country offers this. We all know how well research is looked upon by medical school admissions committees, so this program offers a great way to establish graduate sGPA AND get research experience. Pretty awesome.

But as I said, I'm in the program and thankfully am also into medical school for next year. Feel free to message me with questions if you have any..

anyone applying to the cycle of 2013-2014 ?