University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
All great programs. Personally, I would definitely put UCLA and Michigan above UPenn. I think UCLA and Michigan both have much higher clinical volumes than UPenn and during residency, it's a time to get a very strong clinical training. Research will come later on in academics or fellowship-- and Scheie is awesome for research, but I just didn't get the impression that they were quite as strong clinically. As to how to rank UCLA vs. Michigan, that's up to geographical preference and style of learning and happiness of residents- so a tougher more personal decision will determine which one you rank higher out of those 2.

Michigan was one of my FAVORITE programs during the interview season. Not only do the residents have wonderful (probably the best) benefits, but this is certainly a powerhouse Ophthalmology program. The name carries a lot of weight, the environment is resident friendly, the chair is extremely committed to keeping Michigan among the elite programs. They already have an incredible eye building, but Dr. Lichter (chair) has been able to get more money from UMich to build another one. I honestly had trouble finding any cons. Anyone that matches at Michigan will probably have an outstanding experience and feel extremely well tranined upon completion.

Additionally, this is one of the few "top ranked programs" that cares more about the quality of applicant than the name of the medical school. During interview day they listed all the many different schools from which their matched applicants came...which was different from what I was used to (and I come from an unranked medical school). While they do match many outstanding applicants from the Harvards, Hopkins, WashUs of the world...their recent match lists included MANY other medical schools. If you can handle the cold weather of Michigan, this is a program to which I would definately apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
They also are exceptionally friendly, even to people that are barfing all day form some viral enteritis they picked up on an airplane. Provided delicious ginger ale which eased the stomach. If only it wasn't so cold for so long (I think I have a touch of Raynaud's).

Agree with above that it was one of my favorite programs on the trail and I would have been very happy if I ended up there.

Anyone have any thoughts on how autonomous residents at Michigan are?

It's definitely a graduated responsibility. They put little pressure/responsibility on the 1st year residents, which is nice because you barely remember how to operate a slit lamp. The upper levels will buffer you from having to "move the clinic" or do much in terms of grand rounds presentations, etc. The VA experience is targeted toward learning, and there is good supervision for 1st year residents.

Second years usually take the responsibility for helping run the specialty service for each rotation they're on. Each resident probably has a different style for how much responsibility they take, and they are buffered by the fellows as well. The VA clinic is run entirely on the back of the 2nd years. This is where you will learn to be fast or die under the increasing volume of vets without other insurance options.

Third year is 75% your own clinics (general clinic at Kellogg and VA) and your surgical cases.

It's definitely a graduated responsibility. They put little pressure/responsibility on the 1st year residents, which is nice because you barely remember how to operate a slit lamp. The upper levels will buffer you from having to "move the clinic" or do much in terms of grand rounds presentations, etc. The VA experience is targeted toward learning, and there is good supervision for 1st year residents.

Second years usually take the responsibility for helping run the specialty service for each rotation they're on. Each resident probably has a different style for how much responsibility they take, and they are buffered by the fellows as well. The VA clinic is run entirely on the back of the 2nd years. This is where you will learn to be fast or die under the increasing volume of vets without other insurance options.

Third year is 75% your own clinics (general clinic at Kellogg and VA) and your surgical cases.

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!

Any updates or major changes to the program over the last few years? I would really appreciate input from current residents. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Winterpowder-I was a rotator at Kellogg and didn't get the interview, so I'm happy to chime in early:

Facilities-Incredible facilities, maybe only better at Utah or Wills. Two towers of dedicated eye institute, efficiently run and gorgeous ORs, clinics very nice and logically oriented. The auditorium where grand rounds are was under construction when I was there, but they let us peak in and it was fantastic. Same size and quality as Bascom's.

Faculty-Fantastic! Heavy-hitters in all fields. Some were more interested in teaching than others, but that's OK. The Chair is fabulous, the PD is brilliant but somewhat more aloof. I liked both of them. Dr. Trobe is brilliant, extremely well-known, and one of the most enthusiastic teachers I've had in medical school. I also really liked their comprehensive faculty. Very bright, enjoy teaching, and nice. The program coordinator, Kathy, is awesome!

Training-Very good. Certainly in the upper quartile. Surgical numbers were ~180 cataracts, but they are very well-covered in all of the other areas. I am not one to harp too much on cataract numbers as I'd rather have a great spread of experience through the specialties rather than just doing cataracts all day (assuming you still get an average number of cataracts). They are exposed to a ton of pathology, the U Mich main hospital is extremely busy and a massive tertiary center, top level children's hospital, etc. Overall I got the feeling that it was in the top tier training, and you didn't have to sacrifice clinical/surgical training for the brand name.

Research-One of the few places that give you dedicated time (maybe only others are Casey and Utah?), which I thought was great. Residents can do anything from top level basic science, translational, to clinical trials. They are doing all the latest, including Argus II implants, in-vivo confocal microscopy, telescopes for MD, etc. Essentially as good as you'll find anywhere.

Overall impression: I loved the program. I thought it was the perfect balance of clinical and academic training. They definitely want you to go into academics but are proud that they can train competent comprehensive ophthalmologists. I personally think that you should pick a place like Kellogg if you're more interested in academics/research than comprehensive or private practice (i.e. not just for the prestige), but I still think a wide range of goals can be met by training here. Ann Arbor is a great place to live. It's got a cute downtown with tons of shops/restaurants, very nice and safe neighborhoods, and a very educated population of families and young professionals. There are plenty of things do to outside of the city and it's close to Detroit as well. Reminded me a bit of Charlottesville, but obviously less Southern/historic. I was disappointed to not get the interview there as I loved it and felt that I fit in, but there were no hard feelings. I've seen a lot of people complain, particularly about places like Utah and Bascom, about not getting interviews after rotating. I feel this is the wrong attitude. Many of us are qualified, and though I understand the disappointment, another point of a rotation is also to experience a different culture, learn old things in new ways or new things entirely, and maybe get involved in something unique that is not offered at your home institution (big one for me as I have no home program). Places like that have 30+ people rotating/year. If they interviewed them all, they'd literally have no spots left! And if all programs just interviewed who rotated we'd essentially have to choose where we wanted to go from the get-go. I'm happy I rotated here, and I'll definitely look at Kellogg for future training. I highly recommend the program. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 8 users