University of Minnesota Immediately Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RU1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if people that graduate from the University of Minnesota typically go out and practice or if most people do a residency. In the interview, I was told most people go practice immediately but I want to confirm the validity of this. I'm really interested in finding this out in order to determine whether or not their clinical experience and requirements are comparable to other schools. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say 70% went into practice. You will be competent when you graduate. Good overall exposure.

So you would recommend I go there over Boston? Is there anyone else who could provide some input? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
So you would recommend I go there over Boston? Is there anyone else who could provide some input? Thank you!

I would go to Minnesota over BU. Apparently they have some really nice technology in their preclinical labs, and can bully those dental therapist kids while you're there. Based off what I've read about BU here on SDN I wouldn't choose that school over any other.
Which one is cheaper overall? I would also imagine that housing is cheaper in Minneapolis than Boston.

Minneapolis ends up being cheaper overall, but its just location thats really bothering me (far from home).

go to the cheaper one.... which is Minnesota.

I'm applying for the NHSC Scholarship, so I'll be really upset if I picked the cheaper/farther one but got the scholarship. It would defeat the purpose.

I'm applying for the NHSC Scholarship, so I'll be really upset if I picked the cheaper/farther one but got the scholarship. It would defeat the purpose.

When do you plan on hearing back for the NHSC scholarship? You can hold your deposit at both schools until April I believe and then you would have to make a decision. If you hear back before April, then the decision will be easy (BU), otherwise Minnesota.

I don't hear back until July, the earliest. That's where the issue is.

I don't hear back until July, the earliest. That's where the issue is.

If I were in your position, I would just go with Minnesota. It's really a win-win situation if you ask me, where as Boston could be a win-lose situation because if you don't get the scholarship you will have to put up with a bad school for four years.
Although Minneapolis is considerably further away, put aside $50-100 from your stipend money every month into a travel reservoir and use that to buy plane tickets back home and go back during every break you get and that'll help you get through homesickness. If you don't get the scholarship, you will at least get the satisfaction of attending a better school and becoming a more competent dentist.

When I got the invite for Minnesota, I didnt expect much besides looking at their website and google maps. When I got there I fell in love with it as the area has the college feel and the school houses all of the health professional programs. I loved the atmosphere within the school and its what made it one of my top choices after my interview. I made sure I got much info from the students there and they feel competent in their 4th year.

everyone seemed happy there!

I was just wondering if people that graduate from the University of Minnesota typically go out and practice or if most people do a residency. In the interview, I was told most people go practice immediately but I want to confirm the validity of this. I'm really interested in finding this out in order to determine whether or not their clinical experience and requirements are comparable to other schools. Thanks in advance!
Why are you so concerned about practicing immediately after graduation? In my experience, very few graduate with sufficient knowledge, speed or skills to go into a successful practice immediately. Personally, I learned more in the one year I spent doing a GPR at a level 1 trauma center, than in 4 years in dental school. Talk to the junior and senior students who go to either school...and find out how much live hands-on experience they get. Four years flies by...don't let location sway you.

Hii .. I m an international dentist, currently married n live in minneapolis. I was wondering if this above is by PASS program students or regular 4 yr students??

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really know how to get a hold of those students honestly. I want to get in touch with students at both schools but don't know how to reach out to them. Do you have any recommendation?

OP, do you realize how competitive the NHSC scholarship is? I'd be willing to bet that unless you've made some significant strides in community service, and your grades are top notch, you won't get it. My buddy's girlfriend was wait-listed for the scholarship, and her extracurricular activities were out of this world. She had a 21 DAT score and dang near a perfect GPA. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but you should know that the scholarship is pretty tough to get. I also know of a few of my friends in dental school now that didn't manage to get the scholarship, and their stats are very competitive with excellent extracurriculars. In my opinion, factoring that into your decision is a stretch.

UMinn is a fine institution, OP. Congrats on getting in there. One of my fraternity brothers actually transferred out of Boston University to come back to California. He did not have the greatest things to say about the school at all.

Last edited:
I understand its very competitive, but I also know that the first priority is given to students who are financially disadvantaged and their EFC is between $0-$5500. That would nearly exclude all of the students whom you mentioned above, as academic ability (of which DAT scores are not included) and extra curricular are taken into account after financial ability is considered. I do understand that it is very competitive though, and am not basing my decision on that at this point. Both schools are about evenly priced with the scholarships considered.

I would like to research both schools' clinical requirements. Does anyone know where I can find the minimum requirements for each school, as I cannot locate them on their websites?

I understand its very competitive, but I also know that the first priority is given to students who are financially disadvantaged and their EFC is between $0-$5500. That would nearly exclude all of the students whom you mentioned above, as academic ability (of which DAT scores are not included) and extra curricular are taken into account after financial ability is considered. I do understand that it is very competitive though, and am not basing my decision on that at this point. Both schools are about evenly priced with the scholarships considered.

I would like to research both schools' clinical requirements. Does anyone know where I can find the minimum requirements for each school, as I cannot locate them on their websites?

boston has minimal requirements to graduate.. No root canals ..confirmed by students

minnesota has comprehensive requirements and root canal is required to graduate... just saying

you have your answer on which has more requirements...

BTW, why didnt you ask the students when you interviewed at both schools?

READ THIS:
Boston: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5386835&postcount=81
Minnesota: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7599745&postcount=180

Students typically didn't know the exact number of requirements for each, but gave me estimates. I really prefer reliable sources like schools' websites or curriculum's. I'm anticipating a response from both schools within the next few days regarding the answer to my questions as well.

I heard their dental therapists try to rule the school and take all the patients, is this true???

One of our residents from next year is from BU. Send me a private message with your email and I will forward it to him. I don't think he is on the forum.

Are the dental therapists running dentistry at the school?

Um, no. I had the opportunity to see the therapists and dental students in action at one of their clinical sites just a few weeks ago. We did not get a chance to go to the school. I thought the therapist students and dental students got along well. The UMinn Dental Therapy program is a 28 month program for non-hygienists.

If I were in your place I would probably select UMinn if cost is a concern. The tuition is less along with the cost of living.

TJ, where did you hear that from???????? Im considering applying to the dental therapy program there, is it any good?

TJ, where did you hear that from???????? Im considering applying to the dental therapy program there, is it any good?

WnR, I saw an article posted on here how a therapist is not any ordinary dentist, so I think it must be damn good! They get like 7 months in clinic after their breaks and get to drill n fill!

Um, no. I had the opportunity to see the therapists and dental students in action at one of their clinical sites just a few weeks ago. We did not get a chance to go to the school. I thought the therapist students and dental students got along well. The UMinn Dental Therapy program is a 28 month program for non-hygienists.

If I were in your place I would probably select UMinn if cost is a concern. The tuition is less along with the cost of living.

I heard that the dental students and therapist dislike each other. One student from ASDA said it was the Klu Klux Klan. Seems they are infiltrates instead of students.

WnR, I saw an article posted on here how a therapist is not any ordinary dentist, so I think it must be damn good! They get like 7 months in clinic after their breaks and get to drill n fill!

How do you apply to the program?

its so great, u dont even need a bachelors degree!!! they will let u drill on teeth w/o bach degree and grad with it in 3 yr after 1 yr of prereqs.

When I'm done with my Peds residency I'm definitely applying!

I heard that the dental students and therapist dislike each other. One student from ASDA said it was the Klu Klux Klan. Seems they are infiltrates instead of students.

maybe its dental students from other schools that dislike the DT students.
dental students at UMN get along with DT students and THEY DO take classes together.

maybe its dental students from other schools that dislike the DT students.
dental students at UMN get along with DT students and THEY DO take classes together.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
How many classes they take together? three and they are all graded on different scale bc they are so dagone *****ed. They got poo brain.

So.. patients hate the dentist.... the dentist needs someone to project that onto, so they now hate the DTs.. Circle of life.

How many classes they take together? three and they are all graded on different scale bc they are so dagone *****ed. They got poo brain.

I heard the dental therapists are allowed to take the classes online instead of with the dental students.

I heard the dental therapists are allowed to take the classes online instead of with the dental students.

no, friend goes there, said they take a lot with the dental hygienest. but they cant scrape plaque or do prophy! no idea what they do aside hack up teeth.

it is true that they are graded on a different scale but Im sure it is basic sciences.

it is true that they are graded on a different scale but Im sure it is basic sciences.

how are you sure? they take peds with dental students and had to have diff scale, class average was 60% for the ten of 'em!

Dont take perio, they do however take anesthesia- they may not curved it in that class. Bottom line is, if you saw or heard what they did, you would not let your mother, father, or worst enemy to them.

how are you sure? they take peds with dental students and had to have diff scale, class average was 60% for the ten of 'em!

Dont take perio, they do however take anesthesia- they may not curved it in that class. Bottom line is, if you saw or heard what they did, you would not let your mother, father, or worst enemy to them.

minn students told me that (i ask the students that werent part of the tour.)

minn students told me that (i ask the students that werent part of the tour.)

Well did you ask some clueless d1 who doesn't even really know what dentistry and how under prepared they are! Entire state of Minnesota hates their guts.

Well did you ask some clueless d1 who doesn't even really know what dentistry and how under prepared they are! Entire state of Minnesota hates their guts.

i asked d3s and d4s lol

i dont trust d1s for some reason

i asked d3s and d4s lol

i dont trust d1s for some reason

did you talk to the DT who is remediating clinic sessions bc she failed boards too many times?? or did you talk to the DT who is teaching in the ugrad peds clinic???? Thx

did you talk to the DT who is remediating clinic sessions bc she failed boards too many times?? or did you talk to the DT who is teaching in the ugrad peds clinic???? Thx

i couldnt tell which was a DT student, if i wouldve have known I wouldve asked. Btw, why u do seem harsh on Minnesota? or is just DTs?

i couldnt tell which was a DT student, if i wouldve have known I wouldve asked. Btw, why u do seem harsh on Minnesota? or is just DTs?

the breeder of the sub par practitioner, DT.

:smuggrin:

I love your sense of humor TJ! (at least that is, until it turns on me!)