University of North carolina, physics class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fierycosi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just received an interview at UNC which is very exciting. I am however upset that with the interview letter I got a notice saying that I need 4 credits of physics with a c or better grade. My problem is that in my physics I course I got a c-, I then took physics II at another college and earned an a-. I am wondering if anyone that applied at UNC knows about their policies. I'm going to call them on Monday but for now I'm worried that I'll have to withdraw my application. I am college graduate and I dont' plan on taking physics ever again.. I would shoot myself!!!!! Please help :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the interview. I have a friend in dental school here in boston who also had to take a physics class before the summer she started dental school. she had graduated college and she actually got in the dental school with the understanding that she takes the couse. i wouldn't get all worked up about it...it's a requirement and they might prefer u taking the course at a regular univ.

fiery...

Congrats....I think we'll both be interviewing there on the same day, Sat. 9/29th right? Cool.....yeah, I agree, if the class was that important then they wouldn't have even bothered to interview you. I'm sure they'll let you take it over the summer before school if it proves neccess.

BTW, are you coming from out of state? I'm here in the area so I could give you some advice on where to stay, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel really silly replying to this but when I got the letter with the interview I didn't look carefully on the envelope and saw the school's initials and thougght they were the initials of North Carolina, but instead it was an interview from Nova Southeastern.. My excuse for this embarassing blunder is that I had just come back from the beach and maybe I was in the sun too long.. I couldn't wait so I just got on the computer and wrote. I feel so stupid!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I probably will withdraw my application from NOva since I dont' want to take the physics class. I am however happy that North Carolina is still one of my top choices.
Crimson and Waiting, thanks for the responses. Waiting, I live in Queens, NY so if I ever get an interview at UNC I would love to get some advice on the area. I heard it's gorgeous around there.. :D

Don't mean to burst your bubble fierycos---but you are going to end-up taking Physics I---again. To my knowledge there are FEW, if any, schools that accept a C- in any of the pre-reqs. In fact I believe that all pre-reqs nation wide are under one standard. That being----no grades lower than a C.

It is unfortunate because some schools do not give out +/-. Therefore if you went to another school you would have been fine. The next issue to look at is why wouldn't you want to improve your grade? It is too competitive not to give attention to weaknesses in an application. It simply draws attention to you----whether you like it or not. The admission committee knows that physics is a dreadful class---- it is simply a weed-out class and a gauge to judge how one handles difficult material. You can be assured the C- in physic does not help your application. My reasoning is don't give them a reason to choose another student. Or at least make it a difficult one.

If you hate physics so much and don't want to repeat---- I suggest you talk to the admissions director at the school you want to attend and work out a deal. One that might include some research for a semester in a physics area for credit. Sounds bad but it really isn't. Find a cool professor----explain your situation and you'll be fine.

R.R.B