University of North Texas for pre-med Undergrad College of choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATexas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info. on this college?
First I was trying to transfer into UT Austin as a pre-med with Biomedical Eng. but was too late for admission. I got into Texas State but considered Baylor and others. Since money does matter for college students despite of having to work part-time and taking loans, I am thinking about UNT which seems to be a cheap alternative too.
Only question is, is it a good school choice if I ultimately want to get into Medical School no matter what or does it not matter?
Any advice at all would be really appreciated.
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any info. on this college?
First I was trying to transfer into UT Austin as a pre-med with Biomedical Eng. but was too late for admission. I got into Texas State but considered Baylor and others. Since money does matter for college students despite of having to work part-time and taking loans, I am thinking about UNT which seems to be a cheap alternative too.
Only question is, is it a good school choice if I ultimately want to get into Medical School no matter what or does it not matter?
Any advice at all would be really appreciated.
Thanks so much!

The reputation of the school that you get your undergraduate degree from matters. Name recognition is valuable.

The reputation of the school that you get your undergraduate degree from matters. Name recognition is valuable.
But name is one of the least important things to pay for in terms of getting into med school. Yeah my GPA was on average 0.15 lower than the medians of schools I interviewed at probably bc of the brand name school, but I wouldn't have gone without the terrific financial aid I was offered. Not worth it

Have you checked out UTA? It should be the same cost, more urban. We have great premed clubs, a health committee, and several people go to med school every year. Last cycle, highest mcat here was 40. The education can't be that bad right? UNT is a bit out of the way. I can't comment on the school, but I lived down the street from there for a year. I'm not sure of the opportunities for your extracurriculars since the town is only around 60k in population.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you checked out UTA? It should be the same cost, more urban. We have great premed clubs, a health committee, and several people go to med school every year. Last cycle, highest mcat here was 40. The education can't be that bad right? UNT is a bit out of the way. I can't comment on the school, but I lived down the street from there for a year. I'm not sure of the opportunities for your extracurriculars since the town is only around 60k in population.
That's a great suggestion. I'm living in Austin now and one of my friends wanting to go to dental school lives and goes to UNT. He was offering me a great rent incentive and said that there are lots of doctor shadowing opportunities, etc. Do you think it's worth it to go down to Arlington by myself from here? How is rent, shadowing opportunities, part time work opportunities, etc? Thanks.

That's a great suggestion. I'm living in Austin now and one of my friends wanting to go to dental school lives and goes to UNT. He was offering me a great rent incentive and said that there are lots of doctor shadowing opportunities, etc. Do you think it's worth it to go down to Arlington by myself from here? How is rent, shadowing opportunities, part time work opportunities, etc? Thanks.

You should be able to shadow if you're just earnest about picking up the phone and calling people. Most people hit 50-100 hours for shadowing, so it shouldn't be huge criteria for relocation. If you live anywhere in DFW, you're expected to commute so don't worry about it. I actually commuted to the UNT area from Arlington for two whole years.

Arlington is much more urban with 200k+ people, so opportunities are going to be there. You would be a bit closer to Fort Worth and a bit farther from Dallas, but commuting to either wouldn't be bad. I worked a year driving to Dallas from Arlington also. Arlington is just central to everything. Many pre-meds in the area scribe if that's what you're looking for. I don't think you'll have a problem finding other part-time jobs if you look.

Rent depends on what you're looking out for in Arlington. I got a steal of a deal with paying $5XX a month for 2-floor studio next to school in a quiet neighborhood. If you're going to UTA, I would look in north Arlington around that area and avoid living walking distance from school since it's very dense and there are crimes. North Arlington is quieter, safer, and you're still near major interstates that'll get you around the DFW area. I looked at a bunch of places in the $7XX range around there before finding my place.

Reactions: 1 users
Also living in Austin and I really hope my transfer goes through for UT because this is a amazing city and I don't want to leave! I'm also looking at UNT at one of my potential back up schools at the moment.

I would definitely choose UTA, so many opportunities and it seemed to me at most of the Texas interviews I attended most students were from UTA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

But name is one of the least important things to pay for in terms of getting into med school. Yeah my GPA was on average 0.15 lower than the medians of schools I interviewed at probably bc of the brand name school, but I wouldn't have gone without the terrific financial aid I was offered. Not worth it

That is a choice that has to be made. But, it is difficult to say that a degree from an Ivy league school will not draw more attention from a local school.

Look at programs like Austin college or Abilene Christian. They have stellar medical school matriculation numbers.

Graduated UTA, it's not the UT Austin college experience but it's a good place for getting in and getting out. They have a clinic nearby you can volunteer at. Shadowing in DFW isn't bad, just pick up the phone and call everyone and see if they'll let you. I just opened Google, typed doctor on the map and went for it. I was able to shadow a cardiologist at Baylor. Arlington can be shady near school. We get lots of emails of people getting robbed or stuff happening like that (I'm sure we're not the only campus). Cheap housing in Euless and Irving which isn't too bad a drive. If you end up going there I can let you know a few professors to connect with. They even have a winter class under some generic name that's an Mcat prep course I was told by some classmates. Starting med school in a couple months! Good luck!

UNT is too close to Winstar.. I would have been broke by week 3 of undergrad lol....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user