University of OK pre-med committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a quick question. Anyone from OU care to tell me what the pre-med committee interview was like? The one you have to go through to get a LOR?

Anyone from other schools, feel free to pitch in with what your school's interview was like, I'd love to hear.

I'm active duty military. Do you guys think wearing my uniform to the interview would be valuable or detract? I'm thinking it might be a very visible way to establish the things I've done to set me apart, but I worry that I might look like some goober who's a one trick-pony.

Members don't see this ad.

MoosePilot said:
Got a quick question. Anyone from OU care to tell me what the pre-med committee interview was like? The one you have to go through to get a LOR?

Anyone from other schools, feel free to pitch in with what your school's interview was like, I'd love to hear.

I'm active duty military. Do you guys think wearing my uniform to the interview would be valuable or detract? I'm thinking it might be a very visible way to establish the things I've done to set me apart, but I worry that I might look like some goober who's a one trick-pony.

Hey MoosePilot,

I had my pre-med committee interview last May over at
OU.
Since you have or should have provided all your info such as gpa,
personal statement, and extra curricular, the interview will allow them
to see you as a person, much like a medical school interview.

The
interview experience will depend on who the three people in your committee
will be, especially with the person who chairs it.

You can be sure to
expect questions on your motivation to become a physician, and on what
experiences in health care (shadowing, volunteering ect) you have had to
contribute or test your motivation.

You can also expect a possible a
question to deal with ethics.
Questions regarding your classes or grades
may come up, even if you all A's so far.

They will ask you about the
mcat, if you have taken it, how did you prepare, or how you did. They may
ask if you plan to take it again (for those to whom it applies).

The
form for the interview you will have to fill out will ask you to mention
three topics relevant to medicine that you are familiar able to discuss.
So choose carefully and be sure you know those topics you suggested very
well.

They will also as you questions on your personal statement, and
may critique it.

I was asked about my leadership experiences, so
leadership experience question will probably come your way.

They may ask
you what you have to contribute to a medical school class.

The premed
office should have a packet of questions that are commonly asked at
medical school interviews, I suggest you try to get that and work through
it.

Before my interview, the person who chaired my committee gave some
advice. Treat this exactly as you would a medical school interview. If you
don't know the answer, be honest about. Be well groomed.

You asked about
what to wear. If by uniform, you mean a formal suit that an active member wears in the military for special occasions or when you get a promotion ,then
it may ok. You can call Nancy blass at the Pre-med office on what here
thoughts might be.

I personally think you may want to consider wearing a
regular formal suit.
They will probably know that you are active
military, if you have indicated it in the forms you have to turn in before
the interview. If you didn't, there will plenty of opportunities for you
to mention this in the interview itself.

Anyways, I hope that helps. If
you have any other questions, let me know.

Good luck :thumbup:

MoosePilot said:

I can see what you mean, I think if you wear your uniform just to show it off it might seem like you are flaunting it some. Maybe you could do it a little more subtly, perhaps wear only your helmet and not the whole uniform... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Stealth Vector said:
You asked about
what to wear. If by uniform, you mean a formal suit that an active member wears in the military for special occasions or when you get a promotion ,then
it may ok. You can call Nancy blass at the Pre-med office on what here
thoughts might be.

I personally think you may want to consider wearing a
regular formal suit.
They will probably know that you are active
military, if you have indicated it in the forms you have to turn in before
the interview. If you didn't, there will plenty of opportunities for you
to mention this in the interview itself.

Anyways, I hope that helps. If
you have any other questions, let me know.

Good luck :thumbup:

Yes, I meant the service dress uniform, which looks much like a formal business suit, but with military rank, decorations, and badges on it. I wouldn't give a thought to wearing a green uniform to an interview :laugh:

I believe you should wear your uniform. It shows you are proud of your leadership responsibilities and that you take them seriously. Being in the military is a lifestyle not a career; just like medicine. Also, you will turn the tables a bit. Usually, those being interviewed have an enormous amount of respect for their interviewers. Interviewees are there to earn their respect. In your unifor, they will immediately respect you.

Frogmed said:
I believe you should wear your uniform. It shows you are proud of your leadership responsibilities and that you take them seriously. Being in the military is a lifestyle not a career; just like medicine. Also, you will turn the tables a bit. Usually, those being interviewed have an enormous amount of respect for their interviewers. Interviewees are there to earn their respect. In your unifor, they will immediately respect you.

Moose,

After weighing both benefit and risk, I come to the following conclusion.

The nobility of the military uniform is supposed to symbolize your sacrifice for the country, not potential benefits that the service might get you in the civilian world.

By wearing the uniform in a civilian setting where you are obviously stand to gain a great deal, in part based upon the image you project, it could be inferred by interviewers and other applicants that you are doing exactly that.

I highly respect and thank you for your service to our country, and I don't want to see that tarnished.

Good luck.

I would'nt wear it. You don't want the committee to think that "military" is all you "are". You have to be able to fit in with others in the class. You will stand out however (in a good, but not too obvious way). Because it's on paper and you will no doubt be asked to talk about it. The haircut might give it away anyway :) . Good luck.