University of Pennsylvania Special Science Program INFO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bkiddoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Well, I've decided to post some info on the program I'm in since I've been getting a lot of PMs about the setup and for information and I just don't have the time right now to reply to everyone (and I feel so terrible about it). I wanted to put up some direct links to the program so you can see the school's description itself, and thought this would be a great way to collect any questions (and answers from current students) about applications, courses, professors, extracurriculars, philadelphia, etc. Current (or former) Special Science Students, pls feel free to answer any questions that surface, as its one of the best ways to get the word out about our program.

Please realize this program is DIFFERENT from the "Traditional" post-bacc programs many on this forum speak of where you take your general medical school requirements. There is a separate program at Univ of Pa for that purpose although the administration and advisors are the same.

Program Description
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/CGS/postbac/premed/specialscience/

Sample Schedule (note: Penn uses 1 credit unit per course for ALL courses offered by the University)
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/CGS/postbac/premed/specialscience/sampleschedule.php

Pre-Health Events
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/CGS/postbac/premed/pmedevents.php

Hope this helps!!!

Members don't see this ad.

bump... congrats to those of you who are starting this summer and fall... :thumbup:

Hey 2bkiddoc,

Thanks for the info! I was curious if you thought this program would be good for someone who had a lower GPA, for health reasons, and needs to bump it up some before applying. Most everything else in my app is good.

I was also wondering if you knew how tough it is to get into?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi spe12med,

i think the program is great for a person who wants to pump up the lower GPA, especially one thats due to health reasons. my "story" was all related to health/personal circumstances and i think the program has done exactly what i needed it to. ive been in the program a little longer than most, since i made some committments to the childrens hosptial of philadelpha (where i work full time in clinical research) and havent regretted a second of it.

along the lines of how hard it is to get in... i honestly can't answer that question for you, but wish that i could. maybe someone else out there on SDN can get a better feel of it... sorry i cant be of more help.

have you applied yet?

spe12med said:
Hey 2bkiddoc,

Thanks for the info! I was curious if you thought this program would be good for someone who had a lower GPA, for health reasons, and needs to bump it up some before applying. Most everything else in my app is good.

I was also wondering if you knew how tough it is to get into?

Thanks again!

Hey 2bkiddoc,

Thanks for your reply, yeah I just sent in my appication about a week ago. I e-mailed Dr. Hunter and she was really helpful. I also applied to a couple master's programs. I like how the program can be done in a year or so, since I feel like like I'm getting old, 25!

Are you applying right now or are you starting this summer?

Take care and thanks again!

How much does the UPenn program cost overall? Also, you (2bkiddoc) mentioned that this is not the "traditional" post-bac program that a lot of people on the forum talk about. What is the traditional post-bac program at Penn called and if you could guess, how hard would that be to get into? This is a subjective question, however, which would be perceived as more beneficial...enrolling in a Masters Program and doing the two years (with research) and taking similar classes as pre-meds.....or boosting undergrad GPA and doing this program if you were an admission counselor at a professional school? I am assuming because a person went back to do any extra work and gave up a year of applications to focus on any program makes an applicant look better, however, when doing a Masters Program you get a degree...at UPenn this is not the case...no certificate either. So I guess my question is what makes UPenn's special sciences program better than anything else out there?

Thanks for the post.

A few questions,

How hard is it to get into the linkage program with RWJ? Do people apply the same year they start taking courses? How long do you have to be in the program to apply for the linkage?

Thanks very much in advance.