University of Puerto Rico Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psi1467

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me any insight on this program? I see that it is ACGME accredited, but I wonder if anyone has any info on if it's a reasonable place to train. Likewise, what are the possibilities/difficulties of getting back into the U.S. to practice? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

psi1467 said:
Can anyone give me any insight on this program? I see that it is ACGME accredited, but I wonder if anyone has any info on if it's a reasonable place to train. Likewise, what are the possibilities/difficulties of getting back into the U.S. to practice? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hmmm...well since Puerto Rico IS considered a US territory (so while not IN the mainland, still part of the US) and the program is ACGME accredited, I don't forsee any problems with getting "bacK" into the US, relative to the location of the program itself (ie, independent of your grades, exam scores, LORs, etc. when looking for a job). It would be no different than training at any other US Ortho residency (reputation of program aside).

However, as expected, I don't have any information on the perceived quality of the program.

Kimberli Cox said:
Hmmm...well since Puerto Rico IS considered a US territory (so while not IN the mainland, still part of the US) and the program is ACGME accredited, I don't forsee any problems with getting "bacK" into the US, relative to the location of the program itself (ie, independent of your grades, exam scores, LORs, etc. when looking for a job). It would be no different than training at any other US Ortho residency (reputation of program aside).

However, as expected, I don't have any information on the perceived quality of the program.

Is it a ortho residency or a med school? Is there any website for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:
Is it a ortho residency or a med school? Is there any website for it?

Both. University of Puerto Rico is a LCME accredited medical school and offers some ACGME residencies as well (including Ortho).

Forgive me if I'm making assumptions here, but no one should assume that because the program is located "off shore" that it is any easier to get into than any other US Ortho program. It is not considered a foreign school.

Kimberli Cox said:
Both. University of Puerto Rico is a LCME accredited medical school and offers some ACGME residencies as well (including Ortho).

Forgive me if I'm making assumptions here, but no one should assume that because the program is located "off shore" that it is any easier to get into than any other US Ortho program. It is not considered a foreign school.

O wow thats cool, i don't really know much about residency programs just trying to find out more.

HI everyone..

I think this program" U of Puerto Rico Ortho Prog" had 4 unfilled positions last year's match. Does this mean that this program may not be competitive :eek: ? or they have filled their spots PreMatch??

Thanks

University Of Pr Is A Medical School Similar To Every Medical School In United States, We Take The Same Shelf Exams, We Have To Pass The Usmle 1 To Pass To 3rd Year And Pass Usmle 2 To Pass To 4rd Year And Pass The Same Exams That Every Doctor In Us Has To Take. And We Have The Same Curriculum....

Do You Also Have To Capitalize Every Word? That Could Get Tedious.

drfrompr said:
We Have To Pass The Usmle 1 To Pass To 3rd Year And Pass Usmle 2 To Pass To 4rd Year And Pass The Same Exams That Every Doctor In Us Has To Take. And We Have The Same Curriculum....

flynnt said:
Do You Also Have To Capitalize Every Word? That Could Get Tedious.

hahahahahah :laugh:

drfrompr said:
University Of Pr Is A Medical School Similar To Every Medical School In United States, We Take The Same Shelf Exams, We Have To Pass The Usmle 1 To Pass To 3rd Year And Pass Usmle 2 To Pass To 4rd Year And Pass The Same Exams That Every Doctor In Us Has To Take. And We Have The Same Curriculum....

Just curious then, if you know the above, why are you then asking (in another forum) if you are considered an IMG?