University of Queensland-Ochsner or UMDNJ-SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad081287

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently deciding between UMDNJ-SOM and UQ-Ochsner (A joint program between the University of Queensland in Australia and Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans.)

I'm interested in neurology or neuropsychiatry and would like to go into academic medicine... teach, publish, possibly do research, and practice in the US.

Any recommendations for which program I should choose??

Members don't see this ad.

Why Australia? There is an Australian medical student in the Australian international forum who posts useful information.

If you want to practice in the US I would stay in US for med school.

I gave you numerous reasons in the other thread why UQ is a bad choice. It seems now that you're looking for people to justify your (bad) choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm... It depends on what you want. If you are like most people and want the MD after your name, then uq/ochsner isn't a bad idea... UQSOM is highly ranked globally and Ochsner provides you with a solid clinical education.

Of course, words are useless. We need data. Come next year, we will have just that with the first match list (n=9). But I will say that the interviews some of these kids have been receiving have been at pretty good institutions (yale, penn, vcu, etc).

I guess folks doing the uq/ochsner program as of now are hoping for the best. The same will apply to you if you start this year :)

Hm... It depends on what you want. If you are like most people and want the MD after your name, then uq/ochsner isn't a bad idea... UQSOM is highly ranked globally and Ochsner provides you with a solid clinical education.

Of course, words are useless. We need data. Come next year, we will have just that with the first match list (n=9). But I will say that the interviews some of these kids have been receiving have been at pretty good institutions (yale, penn, vcu, etc).

I guess folks doing the uq/ochsner program as of now are hoping for the best. The same will apply to you if you start this year :)

Thanks for the response!

You'll be an IMG if you go to Queensland-Ochsner. I hear it's difficult to get residencies in Australia as a non-citizen unless you want to train in the middle of nowhere. It's currently difficult to get a residency in the USA as an IMG. Given that (1) US MD/DO class sizes are increasing (2) AOA and ACGME residency accreditation is merging and (3) there's currently no legislation that promises to increase the number of residency slots to keep up with (1), it seems likely that you'll have a difficult time matching as an IMG. I'm not saying that it's impossible, it's just that you'll be fighting an uphill battle. Choosing the IMG route might make sense if you have no other options but you're already holding an acceptance to a US DO school. Why put yourself at a huge disadvantage?

edit: If you do complete an Australian residency just know that you'll need to re-train, even if you want to practice in the same specialty, to practice in the US.

edit2: The Queensland program's cost of attendance is ridiculous, too. In AUD, estimates are $66k tuition and $26k cost of living = $92k USD per year.

Last edited:
The goal of uq/ochsner is to have you practice medicine back in the states... You could practice in Aus if offered a place but that isn't the goal of the program.

Tuition (~55K) + Cost of living is more around 80K max if you are going to be at St Lucia. Ipswich would be cheaper.

Again, program needs time to grow and a good match list ==

The goal of uq/ochsner is to have you practice medicine back in the states... You could practice in Aus if offered a place but that isn't the goal of the program.

Tuition (~55K) + Cost of living is more around 80K max if you are going to be at St Lucia. Ipswich would be cheaper.

Again, program needs time to grow and a good match list ==

It just sounds like a really bad idea given that he already has an acceptance to a US medical school.