University of Rochester ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahlalalji

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I interviewed here, and had this strange experience... am wondering if anyone else interviewing here felt this way, and what people think about this:

It seemes like to em that the chair of neurology who's a new guy (from Colombia, i think), and the program director did not seem to see eye to eye or at least that they had some drastically different views of the residency training program, its goals, and long term plans.

on the day of my interview, the program director came in and talked to us, outlined the strenghths as a very good clinical program, and said it would continue to be that way... then he left when the chair came in...

the chair said that the program is going to shift gears and become one that is very basic science research oriented, and tyo the extent that he said "if we were not looking for that then this would not be a good program for us" He also touted more stronger ties with neurosurg, and building of a new ICU, and moving towards intervention, which it seemed was not the plan that the program director seemed to have?

any thoughts, suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I got the same vibe. Someone high up in the hospital or university wanted a more academic emphasis when they hired the new head.

I think that they are not mutually exclusive however and I think a program can be awesome both clinically and in terms of research. Most of the top programs are.

There is not a ton of time for research during residency, but developing connections and hitting the ground running with a K award during your fellowship are important if possible.

Both the program director and the new head are big time in their own realms. I loved the program director there. I also liked some of the investigators the head brought from New York. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

I got the same vibe. Someone high up in the hospital or university wanted a more academic emphasis when they hired the new head.

I think that they are not mutually exclusive however and I think a program can be awesome both clinically and in terms of research. Most of the top programs are.

There is not a ton of time for research during residency, but developing connections and hitting the ground running with a K award during your fellowship are important if possible.

Both the program director and the new head are big time in their own realms. I loved the program director there. I also liked some of the investigators the head brought from New York. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

They did seem a bit out of sync. But I second the notion that both bring good diversity when put together...

Members don't see this ad :)
i havent interviewd there yet but i heard from a former resident that its an awesome program. thanks for this info...

let's say that i'm from a medium sized city in the midwest.

I'm not from the mid-west so I might not be the best person to ask, but I was surprised by the level of crime there.