University of Utah DPT interview help.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

snowwake202

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received a notice that I am invited to an interview at University of Utah in February for the DPT program. I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at U of U before and if they could give me a heads up on what to expect or what they may ask.
I know that they have a group interview as well as an individual interview. Do any current students remember questions they have asked in the past.

This is also my first time interviewing for any DPT program. I have prepared by reviewing common questions asked in interviews, any other ideas on how to prepare would be great.

Who else will be joining me in February? Good luck to everyone who is applying 😀
 
I'm a current U student. You will have both individual and group interviews. The individual interviews are all kind of different depending on the professor you get. If you find out who you have prior to interviews, you can shoot me a PM and I'll try to tell you all I know about them. The group interviews are with 2 other applicants, a professor, a PT from the community, and a 2nd year student. You will be asked to do some kind of group activity and then they will take turns asking you questions. Some questions I can remember (for both individual and group) were:

Why do you want to be a PT (of course)?
What part of PT do you not enjoy?
Tell me about a time you had to take on a leadership goal.
What's your role in a group project?
What would you do if a CI asked you to alter your documentation in a non-ethical manner?
What was your favorite class in undergrad?
Why the University of Utah?
What issues are of great importance in the PT profession?
Do you have any questions about the program?

Good luck 🙂
 
Thank you so much for your reply 🙂
A few more questions..... for the group interview (if you remember) what kind of activity did they have you do? also did they tell you who you were interviewing with before your interview? how many people were at the 2 day interview, were you able to meet everyone? Lastly how long were the interviews?
Thanks again!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone had a different activity from the sounds of it. Mine was discussing an alternative method of fundraising for the program. They gave us ~10 minutes to discuss among ourselves (although one of the interviewers were always watching how we interacted with each other) and then presented our ideas to them afterward.

I don't know how they do it these days, but I didn't find out who I was interviewing with until the day of individual interviews. Group interviews were the next day, so I knew who the faculty member was going to be for that before going.

90 people interviewed my year. I chatted with some while waiting, but not a whole lot. They do a pizza social the night after interviews are over, so if you want to meet more people, that will be the place to do it.

My individual interviews were 10 minutes each. My group interview was about 30 min.

Hope that helps!
 
Anyone accepted who plans on attending another school? I was placed on the wait list and would really like to attend this school.
How long do they give the students to send in their reply?
 
Unfortunately they do reject people. As I was one of the ones to be rejected. . . I took it a little hard cause it was my top choice but I got acceptance to ISU on the same day so that took out the sting just a little bit. Good luck, I hope you get off the waitlist!
 
Unfortunately they do reject people. As I was one of the ones to be rejected. . . I took it a little hard cause it was my top choice but I got acceptance to ISU on the same day so that took out the sting just a little bit. Good luck, I hope you get off the waitlist!

Thanks, I currently have been placed on multiple wait lists with no acceptances so im getting worried. I was scared that they would have a huge wait list of 70 people so this makes me feel a bit better. Sorry to hear about the rejection but congrats on ISU! Did you travel from out of state?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, I currently have been placed on multiple wait lists with no acceptances so im getting worried. I was scared that they would have a huge wait list of 70 people so this makes me feel a bit better. Sorry to hear about the rejection but congrats on ISU! Did you travel from out of state?

Yeah it kinda sucked but I have been accepted to two other places as of now so its not that big of deal, and no I didn't have to travel from out of state so it wasn't too big of an issue to go to the interview. But I can understand about being on waitlists that is all I was getting for the longest time. I think you have a pretty good chance of getting in I know of some people who are already thinking about declining the U.
 
I got called off the waitlist last Wednesday and I will be attending. I was wondering for those accepted if there is a Facebook page for the class?