University of Virginia (UVA) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwgs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had my UVA interview. One word to describe it ... Painless. Five 20 minute interviews with faculty, all very nice. Plenty of breaks in between the meetings. Interview day began at 7 and ended at 3:30. Faculty interviews in the morning, lunch at a nearby bistro and then a tour of UVA and finally the ED. Parking is free for the day in the garage directly accross the walkway from the ED. Stayed at the Red Roof Inn which was walking distance from the hospital; clean, but pricey at 72$ per evening, including taxes. City is totally "yuppie" and traffic in town is horrific. All in all, a very nice program in a nice town. Any questions are welcome.

Dwgs.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a great idea!
I've interviewed at UVA and Stony Brook so far.

UVA - agree with dwgs (we may have been there on the same day). This was very painless. All interviewers were very relaxed and nice...no hard questions. The ED was fantastic with chest pain center, nice trauma bays with sliding xray equipment on ceiling, very modern. Residents seemed very nice. Shift schedule (admit it, we all want to know) starts as all 12 hours in the 1st year then down to a mix of i think 8-10 hours for PGY2-3. Overall a great program. Charlottesville is a nice college town but don't expect to stay after residency as UVA is the only game in town and they won't hire anyone straight out of residency.

Stony Brook - Also pretty low key interviews, except for the research director who was a little sarcastic. Met at 10am for a 1 hour conference then we met as a group with the residency director who told us about the program, after which, half of us had tours while the other half had 3, roughly 20 min. interviews. The program director and his assistant PD are both very young and seem very pro-resident. Residents were all very nice and seemed happy. Not the most impressive hospital, but a large ED expansion is underway. It sounds like it will be under construction for the next 2-3 years - something to think about. Shift schedules are 19 12-hour shifts per 28 day cycle for PGY1 then slightly fewer, but still 12 hours, as you progress. Only one thing to say about this part of Long Island: Traffic, traffic and more traffic. If you ever plan on getting into NYC, it will ALWAYS take you about 2 hours to drive 55 miles on the highway. I'm from NY, and this has always been the case. 495 has been under construction since the beggining of time (welcome to the reality of organized crime in NY - AKA labor unions). The great thing about this program is the Peds exposure. You will see kids every day as a resident at SB, as there is no Peds ED. Additionally, you spend 1 month at a nearby Peds ED. The program director did a fellowship in Peds-EM, so this is heavily stressed during your residency.

Good luck to everyone on their interviews and lets keep the info coming.

I've completed all of my interviews & would be more than happy to share my opinions on the following programs:

Beth Israel Deaconess/Harvard - awesome facility & equipment, very academic, optional 4th year as research/junior attending position. Residents are a very friendly & laid-back crew, and they seem genuinely happy. Faculty seemed nice & eager to teach, occasional tendency to throw the HARVARD name around but not bad. Program director was a little dry during interview & presentation, but that's kind of his way per the residents - assistant program director is very engaging & friendly.

Duke - as mentioned previously in other threads, the program director is a very strong plus. The faculty are very young, energetic, & eager to teach - a lot of diverse interests are available. The Duke hospital is beautiful & huge, but the ED is about average in terms of layout & size. They've renovated the psych section & supposedly plans are in place to build a new ED in the vaguely distant future. Off-service rotations - YOU'RE WEARING THE SHORT INTERN COAT...not to mention white pants on the surgery services! To me this is an extremely unnecessary addition to internship - the year's tough enough without the added humiliation of short coats & white pants. Attire aside, the off-service rotations are reportedly very good. Current residents seemed happy, but a fairly eclectic group of personalities - couldn't get a good grip on the group as a whole. I think it'll be a great program in 5-6 years.

Hopkins - Program director & coordinator were the two biggest positives for this program. Although my interview day was cut short due to inclement weather & I may have gotten a slightly skewed perception - it seemed to me that the program was very much about the "This is Hopkins...you should come because it is Hopkins" idea. This is not based on anything concretely said, but just my overall gut-feeling.

Maine - a very nice little ED, good facility/equipment. Residents seemed like a good group, very happy with their program & decision. Department Chair & Program Director are great - one of the biggest draws to this place. Dynamic young faculty mixed with some emergency doc's with 20+ years there who still love to teach. Portland's a great little town & the pay is the best of any place I've been. Only concern is if it's too small...

Maricopa - the only true "county" program I interviewed at, recently got a funding bill passed to provide for the next 20yrs worth of funding. Program director is great, they just hired the new chair of the dept - one of the editors for Tintinalli's. Residents seemed great & very happy. Good housing market. The only non-East coast program I applied & interviewed at.

Maryland - awesome facility/equipment, new ED, Shock Trauma, very academic/political. Chair & Program director are great. Very impressed with their academics & career development. Residents seemed very happy, personable & capable - current president of EMRA is there & interviewing applicants along with the faculty. Baltimore is fun city, quite a few rough areas but also several great areas - Inner Harbor, Fell's Point, Federal Hill, etc. The only knock that I could possibly come up with is that it's all 12-hr shift over all 3yrs...pros & cons to that, more hours but fewer shifts. I did a second look here & had a great shift in the ED - high acuity but also good bedside teaching, both from ED staff & consulting services.

UMASS - as mentioned by an earlier reviewer, it is a very busy & overcrowded ED (kinda similar to Maricopa in that aspect) although they are building a new ED to be completed in spring/summer of 2005 (start of our 2nd year). Great lifeflight program - not optional. Big on disaster/international medicine. Faculty were great, chairman has been there 20yrs - very stable & established program. Program coordinator is awesome. Very pro-military group, several reservists in the faculty & residents. Rotate at a couple other community hospitals in Worcester - taken there on tour...nice facility. Several nice perks: proximity to Boston yet reasonable housing market, good pay, state-sponsored 401K, free tuition at UMASS for spouse/children.

UVA - great facility/equipment, awesome college town environment. Chair is active in dept - was working shift in ED during my visit. Program director & coordinator were both very personable & seemed genuinely caring. Faculty was nice mix of young & experienced. Residents were happy & laid-back. Definitely the community-program feel, although it's in a large university hospital. Nice chest-pain center in the ED

I think any of these 8 will give me a good experience & training, and I plan on ranking them all. However, my top 5 are clearly Maryland, Maine, UVA, UMASS, Beth Israel Deaconess - order yet to be determined.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought UVA was just an awesome mid-size program with all the benefits of being on and undergrad and medical campus. I thought the US experience was a little suspect, though I can't remember specifically why. I would love for a UVA resident to sell their program here. Please :)

I thought UVA was just an awesome mid-size program with all the benefits of being on and undergrad and medical campus. I thought the US experience was a little suspect, though I can't remember specifically why. I would love for a UVA resident to sell their program here. Please :)

I second that request! :banana:

I second that request! :banana:

OK dancing banana, here goes -

UVA is a mid-volume ED so you get a nice volume of patients while still not being so burnt out that you can't read at night. It is about middle in the learning by reading, learning by doing spectrum. Faculty are GREAT. Very cohesive, very knowledgeable, very supportive. We have a new chair which is a huge bonus to the program -- we've just gotten 3 brand spanking new ultrasound machines in our ED and are hiring ultrasound faculty. Research is also accelerating here with new hires. One of our faculty just got a tox position with Department of Homeland Security, so we are increasingly becoming strong in the disaster medicine/EMS/tox arena. We are a flight program. Cardiology is very strong here; one of 2 places where you can do a cardiovascular emergency fellowship. Peds ED is a very good experience because we don't compete with neighboring children's hospitals for patients. You can get slammed on a peds shift which is not true in many places. I've really enjoyed working with consultants here; I don't hear the ED put down a lot when I am on off-service rotations. A collegial atmosphere. I've enjoyed all my off-service rotations and think it is very helpful in residency to have at least a strong medicine program (as long as the relationship with ED is collegial) and to have strong off-services in general. Across the board UVa is pretty balanced with its residency programs/department strength so you can learn a lot from others when rotating through.

Charlottesville is a nice place to live, especially for those who like the outdoors. There is some great whitewater-rafting, ATV adventure, and respectable skiing in the vicinity because of West Virginia, some very very nice cycling/hiking because we are right by the Shenandoah Valley/Blue Ridge Mountains. There are also some urban adventures for those who want to have the city experience because we are 2 1/2 hours from DC and about an hour away from Richmond. Within Charlottesville itself there is a lot of the Thomas Jefferson "academical village" spirit, very cultured atmosphere, delicious places to eat/drink. It's a college town/the bonus of that is the amenities 2/2 UVa - libraries, gym facilities, etc
Some residents will live slightly outside Charlottesville b/c within 20-30 min you can experience long, winding hills, horse country, wine country, beautiful vistas etc.
Some of the graduated residents are faculty here now and quite strong so I think the program turns out a good product. Hope that helps!

UVA

Residents: 9 residents/yr. Laid-back residents who get along well. Off-service residents are strong and relations with other services are good. They typically take residents from all over the country and therefore have alumni all over the country. Evaluations are, I think, every month plus a quarterly meeting with your faculty advisor.

Faculty: Faculty are great and super nice. Many are double boarded in meds/peds/neurology. New US guy just hired. ED teaching good but varies as always. PD is great, as is the new chair who came from Christiana. I didn’t ask specifically, but am sure the PD/chair would make calls on your behalf to get you jobs.

Ancillary Staff: Nursing staff is your standard ED nurses. A few excellent ones with most being pretty good.

Curriculum: Three year program with standard stuff. Average amount of critical care and one ward medicine month. They cover pretty much the whole western part of VA as well as parts of WV, so they see a diverse group of patients. They get a mixture of indigent, local regular stuff, and tertiary care. Average amount of trauma with most of it being blunt. Rarely is anything shipped out. 25/75 academics vs community. New US machines with new US attending just hired who is outstanding and I’m sure will really do great things here. This is probably their biggest deficiency with it in process of being rectified. Regional EMS command center with frequent flights in here and fellowship. Starting R2 year, you take all EMS calls in ED and provide medical direction. Excellent tox program with fellowship available. Can do international trips to Padua, Italy or Guatemala (or set up your own), but apparently most residents don’t take advantage of this b/c of cost. I don’t think there is any disaster stuff, but I could be wrong. New simulation center being built in new medical school building, which will be finished 2010. Right now there are 4 high-fidelity manikins and some peds manikins as well. Simulation time qmo – qomo. Residents can moonlight, but many choose not to. EM gets all airways – I think EM2 with EM3 running code. Interns do 17x12 hr shifts with upper levels doing 19x8 hr shifts, with 10 hr fast track shifts and 12 hr weekends (get 2 weekends off per mo). Everyone comes in a little early to spare the person before 30 minutes worth of patients. Interns start off seeing 1 pt/hr with seniors seeing 2.5 pts/hr thus making transition to community practice easy. No restrictions on elective time and off service months seem to be good and goal-directed. There is a cool optional longitudinal program where the resident gets shift deductions to allow more time to develop outside interests (peds, admin, EMS, education, disaster, public health, basic science research, can develop own).

Peds: Peds ED adjoined to regular ED and run by Dept of EM. Residents do ~4 shifts/ED mo in peds ED. PICU rotation also present.

Didactics: 5 hours weekly; protected time. Prog provides you with Rosens and Tintinalli and follow 18 mo reading curriculum. Unsure of board passage rates and inservice scores.

Research: Research project mandatory. Really big government-funded (I think) biomechanics lab to do research on car crashes with test dummies, etc.

Facilities: Trauma bay and rest of ED is fairly new but I’m not a big fan of layout (I like the circle layout). Split into two sides with each side getting same kind of patients. Chest pain center for CP r/o which will be expanded soon. Mostly rooms with two people per room and a curtain, but some individual rooms.

Charting: Charts, orders, labs, and rads all on new computer system. Scribe system in place for upper-levels who are basically undergrad students trained in documentation, and they do all documentation for upper level residents. This is nice, but I am unsure of how it affects documentation skills. When order is put in it automatically pages the nurse with order.

Location: Charlottesville, VA. It is a great college town with lots of culture, arts, music, outdoor sports, seasons, sporting events, hiking, and food. Decent skiing nearby for those interested, as well as some decent wineries nearby. Beautiful weather. Family friendly. Good cost of living. Nearest real airports are in DC or Richmond. Good mixture of people who buy and rent.

Extras: Vacation must be taken in certain months, which you can put in request what order you want months to be in. Take 1 week at a time. Chiefs make the schedule and can request days off. Accreditation status is fine without problems. No discount for spouses wanting to do grad school programs. Send all interns to SAEM and make a promise that if you present at a meeting, they will pay for you to go regardless of where it is. Can pay for access to undergrad gym and can volunteer at college sports. Strong medicine dept so may still be several battles to be fought. Some of the faculty are involved in this yearly huge weekend medical mission where a giant tent is set up out in the middle of nowhere and free care is provided to thousands of people over the course of the weekend. It sounds like a really awesome and rewarding experience.

Interview: Quick and to the point. Brief intro by PD. Five quick interviews all very conversational. Tour and lunch. Done by 2pm.

I originally posted this in the Unofficial 2009 ROL thread but I'm posting here so that folks down the line can get more hits when they search for various programs.

1. Texas A&M-Scott & White - Loved the facilities, great reputation in Texas and surrounding regions, LOVED the residents and faculty. Feels like home. Brought my wife back for a second look and it was a giant love-fest. :) Training is extremely good, great location, and extremely family friendly.

2. Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC - I loved the PD (Sarah Stahmer), the faculty, and the residents. I definitely felt as if I could spend three years with these guys. The feel-goodness started at the resident social and continued on. I was also impressed by the group of applicants who were there with me (one of my hidden indicators). Excellent training, though a bit too university hospital biased. Duke name and reputation, facilities, and Raleigh-Durham is gorgeous. Family in the area. Would be excited to end up here.

3. UC San Francisco-CA - One of those programs with that "X-factor" that's hard to describe; yet you know it when you see it. Really liked the PD and Assistant PD. ;) Fantastic facilities, really top-notch faculty, residents were nice and very welcoming. New program and that brings with it problems; however, I've made something of a habit of helping to establish new organizations and I love a challenge. Though SF is hideously expensive, we think that we can make it happen. Plus it's SF! Gorgeous city and TONS to do when we're not working. Family (a well-traveled bunch) would be thrilled too and have already promised to visit all the time if we end up there. :)

4. University Hosp-Cincinnati-OH - My favorite program by far when considered in and of itself. However, when those "other factors" get thrown in, it was hard to rank them higher. Spent a month there, absolutely LOVED the program. Seriously. This is truly one of those X-factor places and watching their fourth years was insanely impressive. Wish that I could have ranked them higher. But if by some ridiculous longshot we end up there, then I will probably be their most enthusiastic resident EVER. :)

5. U Texas Med Sch-Houston - solid program in a city that I love, close to family and friends, good research available, extremely familiar with the medical center and area.

6. University of Virginia - Very good program that a friend rotated with, so I know it's dirt to a degree. Gorgeous town, decently close to family. Kind of isolated and would be harder for my wife to find a job since it's primarily a college town.

7. Ohio State Univ Med Ctr-OH - Heard great things about the program, really enjoyed my interview, residents at my med school rave about the city. Would be very happy to end up there.

8. Christiana Care-DE - One of those programs that I wish that I'd been able to rotate with because I hear so many great things. Really clicked with the faculty, kind so-so with the residents. Newark didn't really impress me much as it reminded me of the concrete suburbia that I wouldn't mind leaving behind. Nonetheless, would be happy to match there.

9. U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor - Fantastic program, not really thrilled about the amount of snow/winter/winter schmutz we'd have to deal with. Not looking forward to buying a light box and possibly dealing with SAD.

10. U Arkansas-Little Rock - One of the most relaxed and enjoyable interview days I had on the trail. Brand-spanking new ED which is gorgeous and well thought out. A little concerned about the volume and pathology that they see there. Good faculty and the residents seem like people I'd want to be friends with outside of work. Little Rock seems like a very pleasant place to live, and quite affordable.

11. Christus Spohn Mem Hosp-TX - I think that this program is going to be really outstanding in a couple of years. I had a great interview and with the relative lack of other residencies, you get treated like royalty by the hospital - Close, free parking, free food in the Dr.'s Lounge, relatively few low-yield rotations. However, the wife and I weren't too thrilled at the prospect of living in Corpus for three years, and their are still some rough edges to the program. Nonetheless, I believe that you'd come out of this program a very well trained EP.

12. Pitt County Mem Hosp/Brody SOM-NC - Solid program, had a so-so interview day. Location was a bit of a negative for me as Greenville is so small. On the other hand, it is only about forty minutes from family and it's insanely cheap to live in. I've known some folks from the school and they had very good things to say about the program. Would be okay with matching here.

Bottom line is that I didn't interview at a single place that I wouldn't mind training at. I do think that there is a nearly intangible but real difference (for me) between the top-tier and other programs. Having said that though, the one thing that I've learned from this interview season is that the saying "You get a solid education at any of these places because of the RRC," is probably pretty close to the mark.

Thought I should chip in since I know I read these threads incessantly last year. I added in a bit about my overall thoughts on each program, in case anyone finds that helpful. Feel free to PM me if you have questions and I'll try to at least give my personal insight (which was mostly gleaned from a 1 day interview so it for what it is!).I didn't go to all the interviews I was offered, but I ranked all the places I interviewed and honestly feel I'd be happy at any of them. Yay for EM. :)

1. Vanderbilt:
Loved this program. Had everything I was looking for in terms of having great people, tremendous leadership, great academic/research opportunities, nice city with good COL. Overall the hospital is super supportive of resident education, good benefits, etc. SO liked it too, so it was a fairly easy choice.

2. U of AZ: This was a strong #1 for me until I went to Vandy (which was my last interview). Totally loved the residents, wanted to go out for drinks with the rockin' PD, and Tucson in December was awesome. Great research and terrific curriculum, too. In the end, though, it's far from family and didn't outshine anything Vandy could offer so being a direct flight from family won out.

3. Maine: Totally loved this program, too. Fantastic residents, great hospital, fabulous location. I've spent a lot of time in Maine so this place felt great to me. Thing is, they have no NIH funded research, and since it's important to me to have mentors with NIH grants, etc, I decided I had to pass this one up. I do hope to get back there later in my career, though, and if Match Day brings me there now I'll still be really happy.

4. Carolinas: Great, well established program that has been turning out fantastic EPs for a long time. I liked the new PD a lot on a personal level, although it felt like she's still working out her vision for the direction of the program from here. I don't think that really takes away how great the program is, necessarily, but the leadership at other programs pushed them above this one for me. Again, I think I could be very happy here.

5. UMass: Again, another very well established, very strong program where I could be very happy. I absolutely loved the PD here and it's clear that he puts the education/health/happiness of his residents at the top of his to-do list every day. Worcester is really a drab, post-industrial city with horrendous winter weather, though, and SO was pretty dead set against moving there. So down it went.

6. Utah: I rotated here and really enjoyed my month. Really fun people, good focus on education, could not really be in a nicer location. In the end it was also far from family, and it's a young program that still seemed to be finding its place in the overall hospital scene. I know some residents in other departments at the U and it seems from their experiences that there's an overtone of 'residents are here to work' instead of 'residents are here to learn.' I figured out on the interview trail that this distinction was important to me. I don't think that was true in EM there at all, but you do have to do your off-service rotations. This could be off, it just seemed that some of the other programs I saw had a bit more to offer me in the end. Despite that, I would be more than happy to train there, and I'm sure I'd get a great education, if that's how things go.

7. Georgetown: Dr. Love (the PD here) was actually the one who drew my attention to the point mentioned above, that you want to go somewhere that you're not just a cog in the wheel of the hospital but that your education is primary. He has such a well-defined, clear vision for his program. It was really inspiring. I'd be really happy to train here, in theory, but the logistics were just not going to work for me. COL was way too high, you have to drive to locations that aren't near one another in crazy DC traffic, etc. I was kind of bummed I couldn't easily make this one work for us. We'll figure it out if match brings us there, but it'll be a challenge.

8. UVA: I definitely loved Charlottesville and the residents I met. I went here after I was at G'town and I wanted to take that program and move it to Charlottesville. The PD here is new and just wasn't a great salesman. I don't doubt they have a great program, but he did a lot of handwaving and literally saying 'blah blah blah' during his PPT and I felt like I didn't get a sense at all of what he was offering. That said, I'm sure I would be happy here and I certainly loved the scribes program.

9. Rochester: Definitely a strong program, nice people, good COL, strong research, but SO wouldn't budge on location.

That's all she wrote. ;) Bring on 3/17!!

Posted anonymously on behalf of a student who interviewed there.

UVA Review

Pre-Interview Social: The pre-interview dinner was at the Mellow Mushroom, which is this interesting pizza place with a kind of psychedelic décor. It was really good, and as far as I know, there wasn't anything "special" in the pizza!

Interview Day: The interview day started at 7:30 AM with breakfast and a talk by the PD. He went over the curriculum, didactics, benefits, etc. This was followed by interviews, lunch, and a tour. I had five interviews with the PD, the vice-chair, two other faculty, and a resident. The interviews were 20 minutes each, plus one 20 minute break. All of the interviews were pretty relaxed. I was asked what I thought would be my greatest challenge in EM, where in the country I was looking to end up, and to talk about one of the experiences I had listed on ERAS. Everyone also asked me what questions I had, so make sure you're prepared to ask questions!

Curriculum: UVA is a three year program. The hospitals are the UVA Medical Center (tertiary care academic hospital) and Culpeper Regional Hospital (community EM site). The residents also spend two weeks at Portsmouth Naval Center during PGY2 for their OB/gyn rotation. (They get put up in a bed and breakfast for those two weeks.) The UVA Medical center has peds and women's care emergency areas along with the general ED, and the hospital is level I trauma for both adults and peds. They try to schedule the shifts together in blocks (i.e., nights together). There are around 20 shifts per month, with interns working 10s and upper levels working 8s during the week. Weekends and nights are 12s. There are no official peds EM months. Instead, the residents have some peds shifts during each EM month so that they get longitudinal exposure and seasonal variation. It works out to be approximately one month of peds EM per year. Total EM time is 21 months, including the community EM block. There are three ICU months.

The first block is an orientation block for all of the interns that is a kind of immersion month. The off-service rotations are the usual. Ortho is done in clinic seeing preop and post op patients. OB is a required two week away rotation. There is a cards consults block where the residents are seeing acute chest pain patients in the ED. There are two floor months (peds surgery and IM). The anesthesia month is at UVA. There is a two week research block during PGY2 for residents to start working on their scholarly project. There is a new clinical selective block being added to the PGY2 year. Residents also get two blocks of elective time during PGY3, with some cool options like disaster medicine in New Mexico, space/aeromedical sciences, and wilderness medicine in Alaska. International electives are also available, but it doesn't seem like most people take advantage of them because of the expense.

All of the major EM subspecialties are covered. I already mentioned peds and ICU. There is a tox block at the Blue Ridge PCC, and two weeks each of U/S and EMS. They have one block of trauma. There aren't any designated teaching blocks, but clinical responsibility is graded. Residents are also expected to give one or two lectures per year.

UVA has a system of optional longitudinal tracks that residents can join as PGY2s and PGY3s. The idea is to give them dedicated time to learn about a specific area in EM. Track choices include education, peds, EMS, administration, disaster, rural medicine, and tox. I think it might be possible to do other things as well if you can find enough other people to join you. Residents who participate in a track are given reduced numbers of shifts (two less per block, which works out to be about 16 hours less ED time). They can switch tracks if their interests change later, or even drop out of the track altogether. It seems like most if not all of the junior and senior residents participate in a track.

Didactics: They have your standard five hours per week of didactics on Wednesday mornings. This is protected time for most rotations. There are also sim cases, monthly procedure labs, grand rounds lectures, and journal clubs. The residents go through the ABEM curriculum twice and have a monthly exam. UVA is in the process of uploading lectures to Itunes as podcasts.

Benefits: UVA has good benefits. The salary is very reasonable for the COL in the area. The hospital does charge for parking, but the program gives residents extra money to cover the cost of parking, so it winds up being like it's free. They pay for EM organization memberships, have a yearly book stipend of $300, and pay for residents to present at any meeting where they have an accepted abstract. Also, your health insurance is covered, which is a very nice perk.

Administration: I don't have a good read on how much the PD goes to bat for the residents, but the residents felt that the administration was responsive to their concerns. There is a curriculum review with the residents twice per year. Residents are assigned faculty advisors who evaluate them four times per year and mentor them in general. Mentoring is also available via the longitudinal tracks.

Charlottesville: This part of Virginia is one of the nicest areas of the country, with beautiful mountains, parks, wineries, etc. I really want to come back and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway at some point when it's not winter! The city itself is small (population ~ 40,000), and it is a college town, with all the pros and cons that come along with a college town. The nearest "big" city is Richmond, and DC is about two hours away.

Summary: I like the general framework of the curriculum at UVA. They start with an orientation month to ease people into their intern year, and they have longitudinally integrated PEM shifts so you won't just get a straight month of one disease. The cardiac consult month sounds like a great experience. During the other two years, there are the tracks so that residents can get involved with a potential future subspecialty while still finishing training in three years. Probably the strongest EM subspecialties are disaster medicine and tox, but there seem to be several medical education, cardiac emergency, and rural medicine projects going on too. You can get involved with research if you want, but even though UVA is an academic center, it doesn't seem like this program is as academically-oriented as some others I've visited. (That could be a positive or a negative depending on what you're looking for.) The residents I met seem happy, and I got the impression that they are a friendly and fun group. (Oddly enough, the majority of residents in all classes are males.) Travis (the PC) is very friendly and helpful, one of the nicest PCs you'll meet anywhere. The scribes are apparently pretty popular with the residents, although I didn't really hear too much about them from the PD or residents. Obviously, location is a big draw for this program for anyone who likes outdoorsy things. There aren't too many other places in the country that are nicer, especially with the COL being so reasonable and the benefits being on the generous side.

I think one of the biggest problems with UVA is that they don't do nearly as good a job of selling themselves as they could (and should)! Sometimes the PD seemed almost apologetic during his presentation, as if we might be disappointed with what we found. But I was impressed overall with a few concerns, one of which is that the EMS experience seems a little weaker compared to many other programs (mainly two weeks of shadowing). Also, there are two floor months, one of which is peds surgery. (One of the residents said it's supposed to be a second trauma type of experience, but it doesn't sound like that when you read the rotation description.) I'm not keen on doing a month of ortho clinic either. Finally, I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy living in a college town at this point in my life.

Overall, I liked this program and think I'd get solid training there.

Last edited:
What do you think of UVAs:
1) sending all PGY1s to SAEM + half PGY1s & rest in PGY2 to ACEP? (As supposed to most other progs doing SAEM PGY2, ACEP PGY3- helps network for next step)
2) trauma vol (esp. penetrating). Also, fast-track was clustered smack-dab in the middle of ED. Sucks that the new ED won't be done till post-2017 :(
3) scribe program

I am wondering this too. I remember it being on the lighter end but not sure what it was exactly.

PGY1: 12h shifts x22/mo.
PGY2+3: 8h shifts x18-19/mo. (2 shift reduction from 20-21, when you choose a "track"). 12h shifts on the weekends.

It's definitely a great place to train. We work hard in the ED and even harder on off-service months to build a great relationship with consultants. Tons of time to hone procedural skills, read, and explore beautiful Charlottesville. Not to mention, UVA athletics brings it every year. BIG mens bball game against Duke tonight. Wahoowa! Msg with any Qs.

Last edited:
PGY1 is actually mostly 10h shifts with occasional 12hr shifts if you are working a peds shift or express care (urgent care type shift). Approx 22 shifts a month.

Anyone have an update on this program? Especially regarding hours per shift, patient population, and traumas?

Reactions: 1 user
It has been a while since someone updated this, and as applicants start getting interview offers and deciding where to spend their money/time, I wanted to make a plug for my program. I am a current upper-level resident at UVA and have very much enjoyed my time here. I am fairly active on SDN, so this is a throw-away account. However, if anyone has questions/concerns, I will respond on here or through direct messaging.

Curriculum: We are a three-year program at a tertiary care academic hospital in Charlottesville, VA. UVA has been ranked the #1 hospital in Virginia by US News & World Report for the last two years. There are 10 residents in each class, although reportedly the ACGME has approved us to have 12. Currently, we staff an older ED that has ~40 monitored beds (plus a multitude of hallway and fast-track type areas). I believe in 2016 we saw ~63K patients with an admission rate of 28%. The ED underwent a "facelift" over the last 12 months, but there is a state of the art ED (and accompanying hospital tower) currently under construction - this is scheduled to open in early 2019.

Each year of residency is divided into 13, four-week blocks.
PGY-1: 5 EM blocks (1 of which is Orientation), MICU, Trauma ICU, Pediatric Surgery, General Medicine, Cardiology Consults, EMS, Anesthesia, Ultrasound
PGY-2: 7 EM blocks, Surgical ICU, Orthopedics, Toxicology, Community/Rural EM (in Culpeper, VA), Pediatric EM (at St Mary’s Hospital in Richmond, VA), OB/Research
PGY-3: 9 EM blocks, Trauma ICU, Pediatric ICU, 2 elective blocks

I think a somewhat unique part of our residency is the “longitudinal tracks.” During the beginning of second year, if you choose a track, it can replace 2 shifts a block in the ED. These pursuits can be especially valuable if you are considering a fellowship. You can view some of the options at the residency website (SDN won't let me post links).

Didactics: We do the traditional 5 hours of conference every Wednesday. It goes from 7 AM-Noon and usually consists of 5 lectures. On the vast majority of blocks, this is protected time, although not while in the various ICUs.

Benefits: Choosing residency based upon salary is not wise, but we get a competitive salary, especially for the cost of living. Obtaining care at a UVA-affiliated office or specialist is virtually free with the health insurance. Parking is free, and residents also get like $40 a month in meal money.

As far as residency specific benefits, you will get copies of Rosen’s and Tintinalli’s as interns and then get $200 a year for books or Step 3 studying materials. They will pay for your required ATLS, ACLS, PALS, BLS (and when you need to re-certify) as well as EMRA/ACEP membership. The Department also pays for the entire intern class to go to SAEM together in the spring, which is a fun/much-needed break and bonding time. Going to ACEP once during residency is also covered. You get three weeks (21 days) of vacation a year, and as a PGY-2/3 you will get another 5 days off at either Christmas or New Years.

Charlottesville: We have been in the news quite a bit recently, for unfortunate reasons…but this town is a great and safe place to live. It is a foodie town with fantastic restaurants and dozens of wineries and breweries within 20-30 minutes. The typical outdoorsy EM person will fit in with hiking the Blue Ridge Mountains, biking, and physical fitness all being popular activities. The Downtown Mall is also worth visiting if/when you interview here. Residents tend to rent and commuting is never more than 15 minutes. I come from some bigger cities, and although Charlottesville has the feel of a college town, it doesn’t feel small.

What are the average number and length of shifts (in hours) per month for each year of residency?

Intern year is busy; you work 20-22 shifts during the 4-week block. Intern shifts are 10 hours in length, with probably two or three 12 hour shifts mixed in. During PGY-2/3 the shift length and number are reduced (especially if you choose a “track”). Typically, you will work 16-19 shifts a block, and these are 8 hours in length. The exception is Saturday/Sundays when upper-levels work 12-hour shifts, but this enables us to give each 2nd and 3rd year two "golden" weekends a block.

How does the ED work?

As of now (not sure how new ED will work), there are four divisions within the ED. There are the Pediatrics and Express Care areas. Then the adult/main ED is split into two teams: Orange and Blue. An upper-level resident will always be on to lead the Pediatrics, Orange, and Blue sides and work directly with an attending and 1-2 interns (or off-service residents). During each block, residents will work a mix of shifts. Usually, you will work 3-4 Pediatrics shifts, 1 Express Care shift, and the rest a mix of Orange/Blue. Night shifts are clustered together.

Do EM residents own airways and how do traumas work with the surgery team?

UVA is a level I trauma center with something like 1800 injury-related admissions a year. The majority (80%) of these are blunt trauma. We get lots of MVCs and farming/horsing accidents. As the referral center for the western/central portion of the state, a ton of operative traumas are flown as transfers into the ED. We always own the airway and head of the bed. The trauma service tends to run things from the neck down, but that team usually consists of a surgery and EM resident. You will get your procedure numbers easily.

What is the patient population like?

I feel like UVA patients tend to be very medically complex and sick as you can tell from the admission rate. Lots of patients in the area with congenital heart disease, undergoing chemotherapy, or s/p transplants. Very few shifts go by where I don't admit multiple patients to the ICU. Of course, you also see all of the bread and butter complaints, the uninsured, the tertiary referrals, and the worried well.

Where do graduates end up?

It seems like there is usually a 70/30% split with regards to community/academic pursuits after residency. Two residents from last year’s graduating class are pursuing fellowships, one is working academics in the NE, and the others are rocking community jobs. Jobs seem to open to UVA grads across the country. Going wherever you want after graduation should not be a problem.

My Overall Thoughts:

• With the smaller size, your residency class quickly becomes your family. We are a close-knit group and every Friday/Saturday there is a chance to hang out with some of the other residents and their SO’s.
  • Along those same lines, getting to know the faculty on a personal level is a huge bonus. There is a nice mix of older and younger attendings with varying practicing patterns. We also have nationally recognized faculty in EM Cardiology, Neurology, Toxicology, and EMS.
  • Dr. Woods (the PD) is great. He is one of the smartest men I have ever met and is only a text message away if you need him. Don’t let his interview day PowerPoint presentation affect you…
  • Aileen (the program coordinator) is fantastic. No one will care more about your questions/concerns and help organize your work life. She remembers birthdays, family events, and is always providing food/lunches, concert tickets, or a smile.
  • From your very first shift as an intern, you have a scribe. Scribes make charting more efficient and less painful, allowing you to see more patients. They also tend to be awesome people and quickly become your friends.
  • I love always having an ED Pharmacists to bounce ideas off and to learn from.
  • The ICU months and Toxicology block feature fantastic teaching and exposure to a broad range of pathology and procedures.
Potential Cons
  • We are not a knife and gun club, so if that is your “thing” in EM, it probably won’t be the best fit.
  • Most of the residents that match here seem to be in serious relationships. I don’t know a lot about the single scene, but Charlottesville certainly isn’t a big city for that type of thing.
  • Conference is 5 hours rather than 4; no asynchronous learning yet...
  • Rotating in Pediatric Surgery as an intern is hit or miss among the residents. You will get a ton of pediatric abdominal exams and get comfortable with G-tubes and anxious parents, but it wasn’t my favorite 4 weeks.

Overall, I'm very thankful I matched at UVA. I enjoy going to work, love my colleagues, and feel like I make a difference. We get to stabilize a lot of sick/complex patients and get good autonomy through-out the hospital. Charlottesville has also been a good home for my SO and I. Happy to answer any questions - reply here or shoot me a message. Good luck this interview season!