University of Washington Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hmmm good question... I did email it to kathy but all I asked was if it was required on top the physics lecture class I am taking this semester. Kathy said it wasn't, but I didn't really ask about the whole AADSAS stipulation. Maybe I should just call her again and make sure...

Yeah it doesnt say on the acceptance letter about planned coursework but it's good just to check. I emailed her about this also but haven't heard back, let me know if you get a hold of her, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey have any of the December 14th interview girls heard anything yet???

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm not a 14th interviewer but I did have mine on the 21st and have yet to receive news. I noticed some other applicants were accepted on the Jan 8th and 11th, however, they interviewed back in November... did they get called before us because they were interviewed so much earlier? I have no idea how all of this works :(

Well, I'm not a 14th interviewer but I did have mine on the 21st and have yet to receive news. I noticed some other applicants were accepted on the Jan 8th and 11th, however, they interviewed back in November... did they get called before us because they were interviewed so much earlier? I have no idea how all of this works :(

I had my interview on the 21st as well and have to yet to hear anything. There must be some sort of positive correlation between rising blood pressure and days waited for news after a dental school interview...

If so, my blood pressure must be off the charts. I had an early nov interview and am still waiting.

I cannot even talk right now, so I'm writing this. I just got accepted. I can't wait to start and see you there. :)

UW School of Dentistry Class of 2014.

^Congrats! Could you tell us when you interviewed?

I never received a acceptance letter or call. AADSAS however updated with Offer Accepted" anyone else have this happen?

I think most people received a phone call from Kathy Craig. A letter then came a couple days later. When did AADSAS update for you?

I think most people received a phone call from Kathy Craig. A letter then came a couple days later. When did AADSAS update for you?

Today, said "offer accepted" not "offer made". In comments applicant responded yes to offer of admissions. SO basically saying they have contacted me already and I said yes. So im just wondering who the heck has been posing as me. aparently there will be two of me attending dental school in the fall

My AADSAS went straight from no response required to offer accepted on dec. 4th, the same day I received my phone call. You'll probably get a phone call and a letter Monday or Tuesday.

My AADSAS went straight from no response required to offer accepted on dec. 4th, the same day I received my phone call. You'll probably get a phone call and a letter Monday or Tuesday.

Oh got ya, thanks for the info. So basically they are counting their chickens before tehy hatch, thats funny. thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know if UW has good placement into SPecialty. \

anybody know how many hours are required by UW for job shadow and volunteering?
also how much they value research and paper?
I am applying for 2011 cycle and I only have 50 hours job shadowing. I also have a paper published with one of the UW faculty. I should say I have MSc in math and I took my prerequisites and preparing for DAT test by taking Kaplan.

anybody know how many hours are required by UW for job shadow and volunteering?
also how much they value research and paper?
I am applying for 2011 cycle and I only have 50 hours job shadowing. I also have a paper published with one of the UW faculty. I should say I have MSc in math and I took my prerequisites and preparing for DAT test by taking Kaplan.

I think it near 40 or so. But there is no real set amount. I shadowed 4 hours. and volunteered in the UW DUCC for 100 hours. I got in. I know others who have had 500+ hours. SO just depends on your whole app.. They just wanna see some interest in teh field and have done some work in it.

I would shoot for around 100 and you would be fine.

UW is HUGE on research. they are in the top 3 for dental schools in the us who receive NIH funding every year. Papers go along way. BUt just dont bank all on research. You need a well rounded application.

HOpe that helps. good luck!!

They want 100 hours of shadowing - that's what's listed in the ADEA guide.

^Congrats! Could you tell us when you interviewed?

I know how excruciating waiting for a response can be. I did not want to make it worst for people waiting for a response, so I was reluctant to state exactly when I interviewed. However, I guess I should give hope to people who have interviewed recently or who will be interviewing. To those late interviewees, do not despair because there are still spaces available. That being said, my interview was in January. Good luck to all.

Anyone got any interviews coming up? Or some acceptances lately? I'm interviewing in Feb and am quite scared...hopefully there are spots open. And I'm even out-of-state...:(...anyone out-of-state got accepted yet???

Yeah, some out of state have been accepted I think. And no one posted if they got in last Fri (which seems to be the day people get acceptance calls) so maybe they skipped a week?

Anyone got any interviews coming up? Or some acceptances lately? I'm interviewing in Feb and am quite scared...hopefully there are spots open. And I'm even out-of-state...:(...anyone out-of-state got accepted yet???

I know of one girl from Wisconsin that was accepted. However, UW traditionally doesn't fill up the class until mid-March in order to give all interviewed candidates a shot at getting in. I have heard from many current students that interviewed in Feb that got in, so even though you have a later interview you still have an opportunity to get in

I'm OOS, got accepted, and am attending :thumbup:
There should be spots left..you got an interview and that's the hardest part for OOS applicants it seems. Good luck.

Thanks so much guys....hearing that makes me feel much better....:xf:

wow, congrats everyone! i've been staying off SDN the past month or 2 to try to stay as sane as possible. i applied pretty late but got an interview invite last week! i knew after midterms (and being sick) i wouldn't be ready for an interview today..but i'm up next week! i'm almost overwhelmed by excitement and from my nerves. i've never really had interview experience so i'm nervous, especially cause this is the big one! gonna check out the interview feedback section but not sure what else to do to "prepare" haha. wish me luck! :)

wow, congrats everyone! i've been staying off SDN the past month or 2 to try to stay as sane as possible. i applied pretty late but got an interview invite last week! i knew after midterms (and being sick) i wouldn't be ready for an interview today..but i'm up next week! i'm almost overwhelmed by excitement and from my nerves. i've never really had interview experience so i'm nervous, especially cause this is the big one! gonna check out the interview feedback section but not sure what else to do to "prepare" haha. wish me luck! :)

I guess as most people/sites will tell you - there really isn't a need to prepare, just be yourself and know why you want this so bad. And also, the interviewers are awesome and make you feel really comfortable. It's just a conversation pretty much.
Good luck!! :)

The UW interview is going to be more conversational than anything else, so don't sweat too much. If there is any hole in your application (i.e. low DAT score or GPA), they will ask you about it. One question that I found difficult from a past year's interview at UW (which I haven't heard of anyone being asked this year) is, "What does it mean to be a professional and how do you exemplify professionalism?"

Mostly, get ready to chat with them about your interests from your application.

From what I have heard from current students that they had interviewed late in their cycle, so I know UW holds open spots for late interviewees.

Good luck!

I second what baseballjunkie said. The best advice for the interview is to relax and be yourself. Try to view the interview as a conversation, but I know that it won't be easy especially if UW is your top choice.

There are spots open for each interview. If you look at predents, you will see that a couple of people who interviewed on 1/25 received offers on 1/28.

I wish you good luck.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I completely disagree with this.... I think it totally depends on what interviewers you get. Mine were pretty awful- tag-team firing questions and no sort of facial expression or response to any of my answers. I think the fact that they had no interest in making it conversational at all made it a lot harder on me, and I was really glad I had prepared for it (turns out it didn't matter since I didn't get in but oh well). They also took strong points of my application (high gpa, masters in a public health field) and asked questions that phrased these as a bad thing, asking me to explain myself. It was weird. That said, sounds like other people on here had more laid-back interviewers. I hope you get those, but I'd recommend preparing a bit just in case you get the ones I had.

+1...I got grilled on lots of stuff.. But I got in. Just be honest and be positive.

+1.5 - I got semi-grilled from my interviewers. No change in the facial expression and they asked some questions that I wasn't really prepared for. (Have you ever taught anybody? What can you give back to the University? - Not hard questions, just a little obtuse, especially since I have never had any teaching experience and am going to school to receive education?). They were pretty friendly and didn't make me feel comfortable but definitely spend some time reviewing questions and be prepared for the worst.

I got asked the professionalism question, but just simply how I would define it. I felt like I was semi grilled as well. And still waiting to hear. *sigh*

I got asked the professionalism question, but just simply how I would define it. *sigh*

yeah got that one too, and ethics, all with examples...I guess that was semi-grilled? I'm just glad I didn't get that question about being the head of Department of Health and using 1 billion $$ towards dentistry...that one just sounds horrid.
When did you interview flying rider?

yeah got that one too, and ethics, all with examples...I guess that was semi-grilled? I'm just glad I didn't get that question about being the head of Department of Health and using 1 billion $$ towards dentistry...that one just sounds horrid.
When did you interview flying rider?

Nov. 2.

Does the committee meet weekly or biweekly?

I think they meet weekly, but are running slow and hence replies might be 2 weeks after your interview...that's what Kathy mentioned

Next Admissions Committee meeting is next week.

How do you know that? Are you suggesting that the next committee meeting will be 2/11?

Thanks for the advice and support everyone! Just wondering, when answering questions, are you assuming they are well acquainted with your application (like things you said in your essays) so you don't have to repeat things over again/so you can refer back to it?

How do you know that? Are you suggesting that the next committee meeting will be 2/11?

I asked. I am not suggesting a date. I am suggesting a timeframe...next week.

Thanks for the advice and support everyone! Just wondering, when answering questions, are you assuming they are well acquainted with your application (like things you said in your essays) so you don't have to repeat things over again/so you can refer back to it?

It's open file. They may know a lot about you already, they may not. Probably best for you to feel it out.