University of Washington: Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that emailed... How did you phrase the email? Still haven't heard so figure I would just send an email! Thanks!!

Here is what I wrote:

Laura,

I was wondering if you were able to tell me the status of my 2016
application? I know that UW started informing students of their
acceptances last week and the waitlist this week. I wanted to be
proactive because my mailing address has recently changed. (This was the truth.)

I'm sure you are very busy at the moment so I really appreciate your
time,

ADPT2B

She responded to me two hours later. But I felt foolish because minutes after sending the email I received my waitlist email. So when Laura replied she said something like: "If only you had been patient for 25 more minutes I wouldn't have to be responding to you right now."

I think they do it in waves but I just couldn't wait any more.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who's gotten in to UPS or UW, I'd love to see some stats. I do my best to stalk quietly, but many of you haven't posted in the GPA etc thread.

Thanks!
Cumulative GPA 3.73 (bio major)
Pre-req GPA 3.83
GRE quantitative 153, verbal 165, writing 4.5
~450 hours orthopedic outpatient in two clinics
~15 hours inpatient
~40 hours chronic pain management/work hardening/conditioning
~15 hours hippotherapy

Anyone who's gotten in to UPS or UW, I'd love to see some stats. I do my best to stalk quietly, but many of you haven't posted in the GPA etc thread.

Thanks!

So I got into UPS and waitlisted at UW. My stats are:

Thanks!

University: Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 168 V 161 Q 5.0 W

Extra-Curric: Anatomy lab TA, Anat/Phys grader (different school), Chemistry tutor, library assistant

Hours: 650 outpatient ortho/geriatric (PT Aide) | 125 outpatient sports rehab (PT Aide) |10 inpatient acute peds | 8 outpatient peds

Applied: University of Washington, University of Puget Sound, UCSF/SFSU, USC

Acceptances: USC (11/23 - Declined), UCSF/SFSU (1/25 - Declined) , University of Puget Sound (2/2)

Wait list: University of Washington (2/16 - Position #10)

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't heard either!!! I'm so nervous but trying to be patient.

So I got into UPS and waitlisted at UW. My stats are:

University: Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 168 V 161 Q 5.0 W

Extra-Curric: Anatomy lab TA, Anat/Phys grader (different school), Chemistry tutor, library assistant

Hours: 650 outpatient ortho/geriatric (PT Aide) | 125 outpatient sports rehab (PT Aide) |10 inpatient acute peds | 8 outpatient peds

Applied: University of Washington, University of Puget Sound, UCSF/SFSU, USC

Acceptances: USC (11/23 - Declined), UCSF/SFSU (1/25 - Declined) , University of Puget Sound (2/2)

Wait list: University of Washington (2/16 - Position #10)

Impressive GRE! That was all the nudge I needed to decide to re-take it.

Got my rejection email today -- eh they were in-state school but wasn't my top choice so that's okay. Congrats to all those that got in/wait-listed! Don't know much the program itself but Seattle is awesome and the campus is beautiful.

For anyone who got accepted to UW, what was the deadline that you were given to accept or decline their offer?

Just got off the phone with someone (Laura Robinson?) from UW who introduced herself as being from the UW PT curriculum office. I asked about the status of my application and she said that they were still in the process of sending out decisions. What was interesting was that she mentioned it being in alphabetical order (not sure if by first or last name) and that they were hoping to have most decision emails out by tomorrow (Friday, 2/19).

If it helps, my first name starts with a C and my last name begins with a V.

I received a similar response from Laura last year. I anxiously waited until about noon on that Friday before I called her again. Not even 5 minutes later I received a rejection email.

At least four people I know have declined or plan to decline at this point so hopefully this helps out everybody else that is still waiting for their decision!

For anyone who got accepted to UW, what was the deadline that you were given to accept or decline their offer?

I received my email last Friday and had two weeks exactly to accept or decline by February 26.

I accepted right away and now I'm waiting for a deposit form via snail mail which was said to arrive a week after I responded.

Reactions: 1 user
If it helps, my first name starts with a C and my last name begins with a V.

I received a similar response from Laura last year. I anxiously waited until about noon on that Friday before I called her again. Not even 5 minutes later I received a rejection email.

At least four people I know have declined or plan to decline at this point so hopefully this helps out everybody else that is still waiting for their decision!

I received my email last Friday and had two weeks exactly to accept or decline by February 26.

I accepted right away and now I'm waiting for a deposit form via snail mail which was said to arrive a week after I responded.
They told me via email that they plan to have everything out by tomorrow afternoon! I haven't received anything with first name S and last name V...

They told me via email that they plan to have everything out by tomorrow afternoon! I haven't received anything with first name S and last name V...

I wish you the best of luck!
Crossing my fingers for all of you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

I received my acceptance email last Thursday (2/12). Good luck to those who are still waiting! Wish you the best!

Initials: T.N.
University: University of Washington
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Overall GPA: 3.70
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70
GRE: 151 V 159 Q 4.0 W

Extra-Curric: The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, D-I Student Athletic Trainer, Background in Special Education, Biomechanics Journal Club, Camp Counselor, UW Pre-PT Club, Vietnam Health Clinic, Hospital Volunteer, Agency Affiliated Counselor, Registered Behavior Technician, High School Tutor, YMCA Basketball and Soccer Coach

Hours: 2300+ inpatient peds | 500+ ortho/sports | 60 schools | 30 acute | 16 outpatient rehab

Applied: University of Washington, Northwestern University, Eastern Washington University, University of Delaware, PITT, UNTHSC, Arcadia University

Acceptances: University of Delaware (10/27), PITT (11/17 - Declined), Arcadia University (12/14 - Declined), University of Washington (2/12)

Rejected: Eastern Washington University, Northwestern University

What was interesting was that she mentioned it being in alphabetical order (not sure if by first or last name) and that they were hoping to have most decision emails out by tomorrow (Friday, 2/19).

Hmmm, my first and last name both start with the first four letters of the alphabet (Zoey is a nickname), and I didn't hear until the end of Tuesday (2/16). If T.N. and C.V. both heard on Friday (2/12), then the alphabetical order thing doesn't hold.

Well, I officially received my rejection email today! Haha congrats to the rest of you who made it though, and good luck to everyone on the waitlist!! :)

Anyone know how UW ranks their applicants? What is the criteria based on?

Anyone know how UW ranks their applicants? What is the criteria based on?

From what I recall from talking to Laura last year, they utilize a forty-something point scale. For each dimension of your application, you will be awarded a certain amount of points. The cutoff for the waitlist is somewhere in the twenties.

As for criteria, GRE and GPA seem to be very critical factors. Followed closely by having a diverse clinical experience and strong letters of recommendation.

Seeing as how they don't interview in person, I've been led to believe that they used the GRE and GPA as somewhat of a weed-out for the applicant pool. I was told that they want at least a minimum 50% ranking on the GRE across the board. However, the stats from others made me feel discouraged from my scores... As for GPA, I played with my prereq courses a bit in order to show the strongest pre-req GPA average possible at risk of being overlooked by other programs who, for example, do not accept Biomechanics in place of Physics.

Okay thanks. I was trying to figure out how they decide the fellowship recipient.

Last edited:
Just got an acceptance email today! I was 10th on the waitlist, so for everyone waiting, they're at least down that far now. I will be accepting my offer from UW and declining Puget Sound.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an acceptance email today! I was 10th on the waitlist, so for everyone waiting, they're at least down that far now. I will be accepting my offer from UW and declining Puget Sound.
Scapps, thanks for the update, and congrats! Can you tell us how long you were given to accept or decline? I believe they gave the initial wave 2 weeks which ended Feb 26th.

For those who have been accepted, here is the link to the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UWDPT2019/

Is this their "official" FB page? I don't recall receiving any information about it.

I'm actually about to visit the campus right now and get familiar with the facility and buidling with a buddy of mine who also was accepted.

Will report back with anything worth sharing!

Scapps, thanks for the update, and congrats! Can you tell us how long you were given to accept or decline? I believe they gave the initial wave 2 weeks which ended Feb 26th.
They give you exactly 2 weeks, so for me I need to give a decision by Mar 14th

Is this their "official" FB page? I don't recall receiving any information about it.

I'm actually about to visit the campus right now and get familiar with the facility and buidling with a buddy of mine who also was accepted.

This is for the students only. Every UW Class has one, so I took the initiative to start it up.

What did you think? I've been to the campus and walked through the hospital but I don't actually know what the PT building or their DPT facilities look like for the students

This is for the students only. Every UW Class has one, so I took the initiative to start it up.

Oh good idea. I know that U of Utah had one, but it was admin'd by faculty and a second year student. Wasn't sure if UW did a similar thing or not. I guess not! I'll send a request to join.

What did you think? I've been to the campus and walked through the hospital but I don't actually know what the PT building or their DPT facilities look like for the students

Most of the PT classes will be spent on the 9th floor of the BB wing in the med center - that is, with the exception of most first year classes which will be shared alongside the P&O and OT students. The 9th floor is homebase to the rehab med department.

There are two classrooms that also serve as a lab in which most of the practical PT classes will take place. The two classrooms are just across the hall from one another. From what I've learned, the cohort is split in half during lecture while 1-2 TAs remain in each room. The instructor will be displayed on video for the other half.

Faculty offices are immediately on the other side of the wing. It's not incredibly big, but certainly sufficient for a class of 40-50.

It was petty much what I had expected. I wish I could have seen the motion capture and cadaver labs though...

Most of the PT classes will be spent on the 9th floor of the BB wing in the med center - that is, with the exception of most first year classes which will be shared alongside the P&O and OT students. The 9th floor is homebase to the rehab med department.

There are two classrooms that also serve as a lab in which most of the practical PT classes will take place. The two classrooms are just across the hall from one another. From what I've learned, the cohort is split in half during lecture while 1-2 TAs remain in each room. The instructor will be displayed on video for the other half.

Faculty offices are immediately on the other side of the wing. It's not incredibly big, but certainly sufficient for a class of 40-50.

It was petty much what I had expected. I wish I could have seen the motion capture and cadaver labs though...

The only thing that bothers me is the size of the lecture room. Some people even have to stand during class, especially classes shared with OT and P&O. The last time I was in the cadaver lab, there were only 3 cadavers out. I think there is space for 6 in the room I was in. The motion capture lab is used only for research. It has 6-8 VICON cameras with a force plate and a treadmill. It is a small space - probably the size of one lecture room. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the room is available for curriculum classes.

The only thing that bothers me is the size of the lecture room. Some people even have to stand during class, especially classes shared with OT and P&O. The last time I was in the cadaver lab, there were only 3 cadavers out. I think there is space for 6 in the room I was in. The motion capture lab is used only for research. It has 6-8 VICON cameras with a force plate and a treadmill. It is a small space - probably the size of one lecture room. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the room is available for curriculum classes.

I would assume that you are right. Two students mentioned that they had been in the lab for a class at one point, but I doubt that it was a whole class in there at once.

The reason why I'm really curious to check out their lab is because I've been working in a 3D motion capture lab in Mountlake Terrace for almost two years and have developed a bittersweet appreciation for biomechanics research. I've worked in U of Utah's lab and I really really really love their system. It is beyond impressive. You mentioned 6-8 cameras at UW... do you know if they're all infrared only? Or are some of them IR/video? The idea of only a single force plate scares me, so I hope that the treadmill is instrumented at least.

Working with Vicon has always been a love-hate relationship for me, but it gets the job done. You come from an ME background, have you participated/are you interested in biomechanics research as well?

And I agree. Not the biggest and most accommodating facilities, but seemingly tolerable. I've only attended small colleges in the past, so I'm used to being crammed into tiny rooms and sometimes having to stand throughout 3-4 hour lectures :D

The fact that the med center is relatively close to 520 makes it pretty convenient though in terms of commuting to campus, which won UW's program some points from me when I was initially debating whether or not to accept their offer. Of course, "convenient," is very relative considering that traffic has become garbage everywhere around here nowadays.

Overall, what do I think of the facility altogether for DPT students? Meh. Could it be better? Sure. Is it tolerable? I think so. I guess we'll found out!

Did anyone apply for the fellowship and hear back yet?
I did apply for the fellowship, but seeing as how I was initially waitlisted, I'm reasonably certain I'm out of the running. However, I haven't actually received a rejection for it. Considering that the decision for it was supposed to be made in late February, I'm thinking they just might not send out rejections for it.

Great News! I received an acceptance letter today from UW DPT. I accepted, of course. I was number 30 on the alternate status list, in case anyone is curious. I look forward to working with some of you. See you in the Fall.

Last edited:
Also got accepted today at number #31. I called last week and if I recall correctly they said had 42/48 seats filled.

Anyone know what number they are on for the waitlist? I will email them today too.

I know this thread was a while ago but do you mind sharing how the program is so far and your stats before you got in??