University of Washington MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huxley

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone submitted the MSTP application for University of Washington (Seattle)? I just wanted to doublecheck that you only submit the online form and not submit any recommendations until they request it. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

huxley said:
Has anyone submitted the MSTP application for University of Washington (Seattle)? I just wanted to doublecheck that you only submit the online form and not submit any recommendations until they request it. Is this true?

I submitted a week ago. They say that they will contact you regarding turning in the next supplemental and letters of recommendation. However, I checked my status online and they had released it to me a few days ago. Therefore, I would definitely recommend checking online.

i submitted my "pre-secondary" like a month ago and my status has yet to change. think that means i'm being rejected? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
My school sent off my LOR before they asked for them and it turned out alright - they ended up requesting them after they had them, the beauty of form letters. So I would just send them off.

I sent mine in recently. How long did it take them to get back to you? Yeah, I would just send in LORs if it is cheap enough.

They're not asking for money (yet)?? :eek: Is this right?

It's 35 bucks for the MSTP application. I think you send it in with the secondary - don't remember. It took 5 days to complete my application from the time I submitted the initial MSTP application.

I never heard back from UW, Seattle after their initial "we got your AMCAS" email. Did they send you guys an email about the MSTP supplement or did you just go on and do it? Or maybe Zeebs32 and I are just out... :(

tedrik said:
I never heard back from UW, Seattle after their initial "we got your AMCAS" email. Did they send you guys an email about the MSTP supplement or did you just go on and do it? Or maybe Zeebs32 and I are just out... :(

They didn't send me an email. When I went back to check status on their website, the supplementary was there and ready for me to do. Also, under correspondence, there was an electronic page that was supposedly a copy of an email they sent me (that i never got) saying that they had invited me for the supplementary application.

dang it! Okay clockitnow, I just checked it and you are right, it looks like they did want me to do a seconary after all. At first I thought it would be arrogant of me to think that if they didn't send me a secondary that there must be some kind of mistake, but now I feel kind of dumb for letting it sit there for this long and not even know about it.

Thanks!

They have you do a prelim secondary. Then they'll screen that and only ask for money if you are still in. I like it.

tedrik said:
dang it! Okay clockitnow, I just checked it and you are right, it looks like they did want me to do a seconary after all. At first I thought it would be arrogant of me to think that if they didn't send me a secondary that there must be some kind of mistake, but now I feel kind of dumb for letting it sit there for this long and not even know about it.

Thanks!

No prob. This is just the sort of thing that we can definitely help each other with! ;)

do you think they're just waiting until closer to the deadline to make a decision on borderline candidates, such as myself? my pre-secondary application has been "undergoing an initial screening" for quite a while now. anyone have any idea how that worked in past years????

zeebs32 said:
do you think they're just waiting until closer to the deadline to make a decision on borderline candidates, such as myself? my pre-secondary application has been "undergoing an initial screening" for quite a while now. anyone have any idea how that worked in past years????
If I understand correctly (and I may not), after you get that initial email from them saying they received your AMCAS, you can go ahead to their website and fill out their MSTP supplementary app.

Go to this website: https://www.mstp.washington.edu/mstp_app/ and see if you can register for an account. You are probably able to submit the supplement right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
i filled that out at least a month ago. the home page now says "your application is undergoing an initial screening for competitiveness" when i log in. it's been like that for a while, so i'm guessing they're probably going to wait on me until they get an idea of how many apps they're going to have.... :( oh well - who wants to live in seattle anyway :p

zeebs32 said:
i filled that out at least a month ago. the home page now says "your application is undergoing an initial screening for competitiveness" when i log in. it's been like that for a while, so i'm guessing they're probably going to wait on me until they get an idea of how many apps they're going to have.... :( oh well - who wants to live in seattle anyway :p

yeah! seattle? c'mon down to meeechigan! :D

Hi kids,

I go to UW (I love it, congrats on applying). The directors and the administrators take their time reviewing letters. Bide your time and it will all straighten out (I promise it's worth it- it was my second to last interview and it was fantastic).

Good luck and feel free to PM if you have any questions about the school.

MJS

mjs said:
Hi kids,

I go to UW (I love it, congrats on applying). The directors and the administrators take their time reviewing letters. Bide your time and it will all straighten out (I promise it's worth it- it was my second to last interview and it was fantastic).

Good luck and feel free to PM if you have any questions about the school.

MJS

I received the initial email from UW during the first week of august, but this whole time I was just waiting for the secondary when I should have filled out the supplement right away. Do you think it is going to look like I don't care about going to UW if I take 1-1.5 months to fill out that MSTP app? I am actually very interested in the school, so should I email them or something just to cover my bases?

thanks!

Make sure you check your Washington application frequently... apparently I was invited to submit a secondary on August 8th but never recevied an email or a real letter. Good thing I decided to check out this post! Good luck everyone

-Denny

Relax, I'm sure you'll be fine. To be honest, I don't think you even have to be invited to start the secondary. I think you can start an application whenever. The website has pretty comprehensive instructions about this stuff.

http://www.mstp.washington.edu/admissions/

:( i was right.....first rejection.....sigh :idea:

Hey zeebs32, don't get down b/c of one school. Almost everyone's going to have acceptances and rejections. You just have to apply to a lot of places and see how things churn out.

For everyone- it took about a week between preliminary secondary and the invitation of the 2nd secondary (online check).

Now a Q for everyone:
For LORs, they have a "Course & Number:" blank, but most of my LORs don't come from classes. That's okay right? I'm going to submit it blank.

microTAS said:
For LORs, they have a "Course & Number:" blank, but most of my LORs don't come from classes. That's okay right? I'm going to submit it blank.

That's what I did.

i actually just got a mail (via snail mail) from UW that read, in short, as an out-of state applicant we don't want you but please go online and fill out our MSTP preliminary application if you so desire.

i got that letter too -- and in short -- was told to ignore it.

i called the MSTP office and they said there was really no reason for them to have sent that to us, but its more of a formality... it doesnt mean anything -- i got it even after i KNEW that the MSTP office had signed for my letters of rec, etc. so mainly, not to worry.