University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojo88

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In searching older posts I found a lot of negative posts about UW. As these posts referred to the 2003 application cycle, does anyone know if things have "changed"...or does anybody have any insight on the school. I applied there as an out of stater and am told my chances are slim. I received an invite from them and am trying to measure my chances of actually getting in...I have the low end of the average DAT scores.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a buddy who was accepted to UW and to Arizona. He's midway through the current semester at UW and is hating every moment there. So much so that he's in town today trying to transfer to Arizona.

I'll talk to him tonight over dinner and get some concrete details as to why he dislikes the school and the experience so much.

I was at UW yesterday and facilities really did not impress me.
Washington is my home state and besides facts (old facilities
and reputation as a great research institute (high $$)), only reason I will consider UW is out of pocket cost ...its 125,000
for 4 years compared to $225,000 to $300,000 at other schools.

Gavin, what would you do if you were in my shoes and assume that you get accepted at UW as in state student?
I am admirer of your honest opinions on many issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I don't know.

I'd like to say I go where the tuition is cheapest, but at the same time I realize now more than ever that school becomes a home away from home, and nice facilities and cool people DO matter.

Are those factors worth the $100k you save in tuition? I don't know how to answer that.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I lived in Seattle for some time, and I LOVE the UW and the U-District.

My source tells me that the first two years at the UW can be a bit of a drudge unless a person is a born studyholic and lab lizard. On the other hand, clinics come into play big time during the last two years and the school becomes a kick in the pants for the folks who love working with real patients and the "hands on" aspects of dentistry.

GavinC , I'd also be interested in hearing more details about your friend's experience.

No problem. One of our deans actually took him to dinner last night, so I'll be going with him tonight. I'll post as soon as I can, without giving away any specifics of his situation, but certainly enough information for you to ascertain why he is making the decisions he is.

I'm currently an undergrad at UW, and I work in a research lab in the Health Sciences building, which is this MASSIVE building that houses the Dental School, Medical School, Pharmacy School, hospital, research labs... tons of things.

Anyway, the facilities don't impress me much either. I don't know if I'd like to be stuck in that maze of a building for 4 years. But that's not going to stop me from applying there this summer.

Gavin,
I waited for your feedback for two days and I am
disappointed. I was looking for just a few good convincing
reasons of your friend. Anyways, all the best to him.
Is he going to join AZ?

I'll say what Gavin doesn't wanna say....
It's the faculty.

Turnpike, what's your experience in this matter? Did you apply last year to UW?

I talked with a recent UW grad, and he seemed pretty happy with the place. But mikheil is correct about the dungeon-like Health Sciences building.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by vishal_k32801
Gavin,
I waited for your feedback for two days and I am
disappointed. I was looking for just a few good convincing
reasons of your friend. Anyways, all the best to him.
Is he going to join AZ?

Sorry, but after discussing things at length with him, I realize that it isn't my place to divulge all the specifics.

Let's just say that it isn't the faculty... it's the faculty, facilities, AND students.

It sounds like the place is really a mess, unless you are 100% gun-ho about research and academics.

One snippet:

Prior to matriculating, UW sends out a histology packet to it's incoming freshman. They want you to teach yourself the histology course on your own so you can test out of the class when school starts. First of all, that sucks. Great way to spend a summer prior to dental school. Secondly, each year about 60% of the class passes and doesn't have to take the histology class, while the other 40% have to take the class. That's a great way to divide the class right out of the starting gates (the histology exam is during orientation week).

That's all from me on this subject.

Thanks Gavin, like I said you always give good info..

but a lot of sch allows test-out.
like ucsf, they start sch early to learn anatomy...
they actually have to be there to study during summer.

i m not sure how much workload is histology, but anatomy isnt easy either.

the students work hard early
then they can take a less workload the following semester.
it is better to have that option then none.

You bring up good points, but when those who have to take the class and those who don't is roughly even, it does a fairly good job of splitting the class down the middle.

Right off the bat the class was divided into the "smart kids" and "dumb kids".

Originally posted by ItsGavinC

Right off the bat the class was divided into the "smart kids" and "dumb kids".

I find it hard to believe that anyone who is accepted to a dental school would be considered dumb.:D

Originally posted by Dentaldream
I find it hard to believe that anyone who is accepted to a dental school would be considered dumb.:D

Everything is relative. Sure, getting admitted means you're at the top of the college crowd, but once you're in, there's a whole new group of people to be segregated, labeled, and categorized. It's hard to avoid, regardless of where you are; most behaviors involving human nature are.

Originally posted by Dentaldream

Once you're in, you'll understand.

Going from 4.0 in undergrad to failing exams and a 2.0 in dental school is quite the different feeling.

AND, as Bill more or less pointed out, dental school in many respects isn't unlike high school.

In undergrad you had different classmates on a daily basis. In D School you're all together, all the time.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
Once you're in, you'll understand.

Going from 4.0 in undergrad to failing exams and a 2.0 in dental school is quite the different feeling.

Are alot of people failing at Arizona?? If this is the case, does your school help those students in need?

Tufts does this, and it makes sense. No school wants a high attrition rate for mainly 2 reasons. The first is reputation, and the 2nd and more important is that they will lose tuiton money from those who do drop out.

Dentaldream, that's just the point--a 2.0 *isn't* failing. Sure, it's marginal, but it's still passing and not everyone has that exact grade. I don't know of any school that doesn't have mechanisms in place to assist students who are struggling, but the point was just that some students--students who performed very well in undergrad--<em>will</em> struggle in dental school. It's a whole new bell curve of performance, except the average academic ability gets jacked way up. As long as you're prepared to a) spend a lot more time studying, or b) not perform as well as you did in college, you'll be fine.

I do not think that any school wants you to fail...not even NYU

Who they admit is who they want to graduate

case in point:

Biochem class here at NYU that just finished. Close to 35 students were failing at the end. After the curve was set only 2 failed. So 265 passed

Sure students get dismissed...one was booted from my class this week. Got caught cheating...what a bad way to leave school

oh yeah, even though we have a large class, we are all asigned to mentors and there are about 6-8 students per mentor and they do help you out a lot

Originally posted by Brocnizer2007

Sure students get dismissed...one was booted from my class this week. Got caught cheating...what a bad way to leave school

Harsh!! No probation period? Well, at least he learned his lesson.:eek:

Regarding going from 4.0 in undergrad to 2.0 in dental school, it should be pointed out that there are a few exceptional folks amongst us who are equipped with fabulous brains which allow them to absorb and retain a lot of info in undergrad via pure osmosis and who therefore are never challanged to develop a study ethic until they find themselves in a professional degree program like dentistry. In that scenario, such folks may find themselves at a disadvantage in dental school when competing against others who had to delvelop strong study and time management skills in order to earn their 4.0 in undergrad. Sort of a take off on the hare and tortise fable (the race does not always go to those with the quickest brains).