University vs community programs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familyfirst

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone knows what kind of impact on your career if you get trained from an university program vs a community program?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on what direction you want your career to take. In talking to faculty, it sounds like if you want to be in academic medicine or go into a fellowship (especially some of the more competitive ones), you should go to a university program. It's probably not so black and white as that. I know of people matching into fellowships from community programs, some of which offer their own fellowships.

If you want to be a generalist, my guess would be that it doesn't matter when getting hired. From other people's experiences, it seems like hospitals/group practices are just looking for a good team player.

I would agree with Missylee, but have to add that ...

In a community program ... PROs: you will get an excellent training for generalist and if you are good you can still do fellowship, you will have a lot of good freebies that your University colleagues will not have (better lifestyle, more food, happier residents, bigger beds with some sleep during the night), and you will have more time for your family. You will also have an in on good job offers in your area and will be better equipped to join a good practice then some of your university colleagues. CONs: you might miss out on some of the uncommon procedures that you only get and will use at the universities and you might have more passed on knowledge vs the answers to why ... this is highly variable among different programs however (esp those associated with Universities vs not).

In a University program ... you are a scut monkey, you get ur banana ration per day, you get no sleep, and you have no time. You might think you are better off then some residents in the community programs, but on some sleepless night ... you will wonder :sleep: You will be slightly better off when it comes to fellowships, just cause ur used hell :scared:

:love: