mercury1980

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
92
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi
Im a recent medical graduate (IMG) and Im going to be applying for residency in psychiatry this yr. I was hoping someone could tell me about the different between university based vs community based programs. Some ppl say that it affects ur chances of getting a good fellowship. How true is this for psychiatry fellowships in particular? Can anyone list some good IMG-friendly psychiatry programs in the US and the texas area in particular?
 

sga430

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2006
450
2
www2.blogger.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mercury1980 said:
Hi
Im a recent medical graduate (IMG) and Im going to be applying for residency in psychiatry this yr. I was hoping someone could tell me about the different between university based vs community based programs. Some ppl say that it affects ur chances of getting a good fellowship. How true is this for psychiatry fellowships in particular? Can anyone list some good IMG-friendly psychiatry programs in the US and the texas area in particular?
generally speaking psych fellowships are not so competetive. i believe the only competetive one is maybe a pain fellowship. i am not sure about forensics but the others are not so competive.

generally speaking psych is quite img friendly. the trend is that it is getting more competetive recently as more AMGs are applying. i would say ny, nj, ct, chicago and some rural progs are img friendly. texas i would say is moderately img friendly.
 

prominence

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2001
1,073
18
Status
Attending Physician
sga430 said:
generally speaking psych fellowships are not so competetive. i believe the only competetive one is maybe a pain fellowship. i am not sure about forensics but the others are not so competive.

generally speaking psych is quite img friendly. the trend is that it is getting more competetive recently as more AMGs are applying. i would say ny, nj, ct, chicago and some rural progs are img friendly. texas i would say is moderately img friendly.
IMO, it's competitive for an IMG to get a residency in texas, due to strict state medical board crap. same for PA...maybe things have changed; i could be wrong.
 
OP
M

mercury1980

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
92
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
thanks for the responses! still a little confused abt the university vs. community part though..r u saying id still have a good chance at a good fellowship even with training at a community program?
 

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
6,253
3,902
57
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
mercury1980 said:
thanks for the responses! still a little confused abt the university vs. community part though..r u saying id still have a good chance at a good fellowship even with training at a community program?
I'm an attending at a community program in the Midwest. Our residents, several of them FMGs, got into the fellowships of their choice, including some highly-rated ones. If you do well, you'll be able to set the career trajectory of your choice at either type of program--unless you really want to do a hard-core academic career, in which case you pretty much have to go to a university program.
 
OP
M

mercury1980

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
92
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
OldPsychDoc said:
I'm an attending at a community program in the Midwest. Our residents, several of them FMGs, got into the fellowships of their choice, including some highly-rated ones. If you do well, you'll be able to set the career trajectory of your choice at either type of program--unless you really want to do a hard-core academic career, in which case you pretty much have to go to a university program.
thanks! thats reassuring. Im not interested in a very academic or research oriented career..but i do want decent training. I have fairly good scores 89/94 + USCE, but Im just a little limited in the places I can apply since my husband just got a new job and it would be hard for him to relocate within the next yr..does anyone know how good the training would be in Austin, Texas A & M Scott and White, or San Antonio?