University vs. everything else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Em023

Does anyone know if pharmacy schools take into consideration where you did your pre-requisites when looking at GPAs? I just joined SDN so I'm sorry if this has already been asked!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

heyy girl ^ ^ yep! some schools tend to question whether you can handle it's cirriculum IF for instance you took all your prereqs at a community college[i.e. a 4.0 at tennessee community college, will very likely be considered a 3.8 at the university of tennessee]. but, if that's the case? i wouldn't sweat it, as there are "other" things the adcoms do consider aside from your GPA. oh, like pharmacy experience for one[strong ECs], a science degree[AA, BS, etc] or ANY degree[diversity], PCAT score, personal statement and such. besides! there's LOTS of pre-pharmers here[past/present] that have done the same and are NOW pharmacy students and or pharmacist, to say the least. so yeah... and WELCOME! to SDN...:D

Last edited:
thanks for the response!!! I am more so concerned that I go to a more difficult school than a girl I know who goes to a significantly easier state school and has a 3.95. I'm sure her GPA would be lower if she went to the same school as me. Soo yeah I hope pharm schools take that into consideration, not that my GPA is low, its just not a 3.95.

Members don't see this ad :)
To provide a slightly contrary opinion to the question: schools do care where you went to school somewhat, but when it comes to the appications process remember they will consider you individually and will be reviewing your application and not the school's status.

They wil be looking at:

*What kind of EC activities have you done ?
*What clubs have you joined ?
*Have you done any community services ?
*Do you have any pharmacy experience ?
*Are you a state certified technician ?
*Do you have any research experience ?
*Have you done anything extraordinary that makes you stand out against the crowd ?

Admissions staff will examine all of those criteria for each applicant and determine who is a best fit for a program.

As for citing your friend's example, don't you think :) ;) it's a bit ignorant to assume that just because she goes to state school she has it easy ?

I went to a state school and every professor I had in my last 2-3 years was a faculty member who taught part time at our state school but was a professor at a local UC school. They taught the same classes on the same levels, that can very well be true for your friend as well. :luck:

Last edited:
yes, you do have a point. but, to be fair to that girl. i wouldn't necessarily say that her GPA "would" be lower. i mean, who knows considering she goes to a different school right? but, anyway... it is what it is i suppose. oh well, don't let it get the better of YOU okay??? later em... ;)

To provide a slightly contrary opinion to the question: schools do care where you went to school somewhat, but when it comes to the appications process remember they will consider you individually and will be reviewing your application and not the school's status.

They wil be looking at:

*What kind of EC activities have you done ?
*What clubs have you joined ?
*Have you done any community services ?
*Do you have any pharmacy experience ?
*Are you a state certified technician ?
*Do you have any research experience ?
*Have you done anything extraordinary that makes you stand out against the crowd ?

Admissions staff will examine all of those criteria for each applicant and determine who is a best fit for a program.

As for citing your friend's example, don't you think :) ;) it's a bit ignorant to assume that just because she goes to state school she has it easy ?

I went to a state school and every professor I had in my last 2-3 years was a faculty member who taught part time at our state school but was a professor at a local UC school. They taught the same classes on the same levels, that can very well be true for your friend as well. :luck:

+1... thanks! as ALWAYS cheba, for clearing things up...:D

Does anyone know if pharmacy schools take into consideration where you did your pre-requisites when looking at GPAs? I just joined SDN so I'm sorry if this has already been asked!! :)

Depends on the university you apply to and what classes you took. I took 18 hours of non science at a junior college during my last 2 years of high school. The university I go to does not look high at CC classes, they told me that I would have to be one of the elite CC applicants to have a chance of getting in.

Nice blog title. Too bad you're not class of 2013!

I did NOT mean to offend anyone! All I meant was some schools are harder than others. I was just talking about this particular school which has a reputation for not being very hard. I know some people who go there and they say its not much harder than high school.

to cheburashka... you are totally right about that girl, anyone who works hards can get high grades, no matter what school. Every school is different and I have heard of other state schools that are super hard. So i'm sorry I offended you, I did not mean to! also thanks for your response!:)

I did NOT mean to offend anyone! All I meant was some schools are harder than others. I was just talking about this particular school which has a reputation for not being very hard. I know some people who go there and they say its not much harder than high school.

I totally agree, I took a Calculus I class at a local junior college and barely made a C then took it at the university I'm at now and made A's in Calc I, II, and III.

Nice blog title. Too bad you're not class of 2013!

Thanks! I know but hey, at least you technically have one less person to compete with when looking for a job.

to cheburashka... you are totally right about that girl, anyone who works hards can get high grades, no matter what school. Every school is different and I have heard of other state schools that are super hard. So i'm sorry I offended you, I did not mean to! also thanks for your response!:)

You didn't offend me in any way, shape or form. I was just providing a different perspective because I am old and groggy and like provide contrary opinions. :luck: You know how old people are :laugh:

Welcome to the forum by the way. It will help you a lot though appplying, it certainly helped me a lot. I even met good friends here.

I totally agree, I took a Calculus I class at a local junior college and barely made a C then took it at the university I'm at now and made A's in Calc I, II, and III.

Thanks! I know but hey, at least you technically have one less person to compete with when looking for a job.

I'm already dreading this summer and looking for a job because we need those hours even more so than pay (although I do need the pay because I spent all my savings on moving and buying new furniture this summmer).

Given the abundance of pharmacy schools in the area, it will be extremely challenging to find an intern job. Even the ones that pay low are in demand, because everyone needs the hours. I am willing to relocate to a different city and live with boyfriend's parents there, as long as I can find something.

I was also just told, 3 more schools IN OUR STATE, are thought to be opening up. I'm just kind of at a loss of words at the prospective job situation.

I'm already dreading this summer and looking for a job because we need those hours even more so than pay (although I do need the pay because I spent all my savings on moving and buying new furniture this summmer).

Given the abundance of pharmacy schools in the area, it will be extremely challenging to find an intern job. Even the ones that pay low are in demand, because everyone needs the hours. I am willing to relocate to a different city and live with boyfriend's parents there, as long as I can find something.

I was also just told, 3 more schools IN OUR STATE, are thought to be opening up. I'm just kind of at a loss of words at the prospective job situation.

Pharmacy schools are going to start separating into tiers at some point just like our law counterparts. The solution? Go do a residency and start preparing now...

Pharmacy schools are going to start separating into tiers at some point just like our law counterparts. The solution? Go do a residency and start preparing now...

Thanks for advice. You know they are opening one at East Bay, Fresno and Long Beach ? :confused: How many can Bay Area possibly have ? :laugh:

I'm definitely considering residency and fellowship. What about you, evilolive ? You must be pretty close to graduating now.

That's why I laugh at my friends who go to the University of Texas at Austin's COP, they all want to stay in Austin to work but so do the other 200 graduating students.

That's why I laugh at my friends who go to the University of Texas at Austin's COP, they all want to stay in Austin to work but so do the other 200 graduating students.

It's worse in our case, it's over 360 just from our school alone and then there are 2 pharmacy school within a very close promiximity. Doing the math, the job situation for an intern does not look so good. :cool:

It's worse in our case, it's over 360 just from our school alone and then there are 2 pharmacy school within a very close promiximity. Doing the math, the job situation for an intern does not look so good. :cool:

Wow, just do what I'm going to do and move out to where the big money is at. Yeah you may have to work in a place you don't really want to for a while but at least you'll have a job and some extra cash.