Unknown Misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jihad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

A little time back I got accepted to my first med school and had the background check done on me. I had reported to everyone that I had no criminal background because I thought this was the case. I have had only two speeding tickets (only 10 mph over) with one being in a school zone. The Certiphi people have reported that the ticket I got in the school zone is actually a Misdemeanor! I didn't think it was a big deal because I don't know much about the law, but the med school actually contacted me about it and asked why I never reported this offense.

My question/concern is, should it be possible or legal that someone be convicted of a Misdemeanor without being informed of this?! I have gotten other background checks done on me at work and even my County Attorney and none of them found a Misdemeanor!

Also, has anyone else had this problem of an unknown offense popping up on their background check?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you verify the misdemeanor status with the locality that issued the ticket?

Lots of states have misdemeanor traffic tickets. Sounds like you got one, too.

In a School Zone that IS a misdemeanor!!!! You should have reported it- explain that u thought it was a normal traffic violation

Members don't see this ad :)
In a School Zone that IS a misdemeanor!!!! You should have reported it- explain that u thought it was a normal traffic violation

The TC didn't realize that obviously. That would be the best thing to do: just explain you didn't realize it. If you didn't go to trial, explain they you simply put in the guilty plea because you just wanted to pay the fine and get it over with. They should understand.

This will not be a big deal at all.

I talked to an attorney at the free legal services at my university and i found out that it actually is NOT a misdemeanor in my state! I am going to dispute their report.

Ya, they emailed me today and said its not a big deal at all haha. But I am just a little worried about the few schools that Im still waiting on.