unlimited break time on the MCAT!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just discovered that, after the 10 minute break in between sections, the next section does not start immediately. Instead, it brings you to a screen with directions, where it stalls indefinitely until you click "next." Thus, for all practical purposes, the breaks are unlimited. Does anyone know if this is the case for the real MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, I've stared at the screen for 1 min after my break was over to see if the test would start without me and it did not. However, do know that you sign in and out every time you take a break and if you spend too long on them, they'll probably get suspicious.

So, technically, I could just take 30 minute breaks instead of 10 minute breaks.... :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just beware that it is NOT unlimited. I believe there is a small grace period given after your break timer runs out, but that your section time clock will start eventually. I highly, highly advise that you do your best to be punctual during your breaks.

I'm pretty sure I remember multiple people posting on how they sat there to test this out and the clock does NOT start on its own (waited ~10 minutes). HOWEVER, the test proctors will NOT stand for you being more than a few minutes late. They keep track of the time as well. At my center, they went and got you if you didn't show up. I'm guessing that they would report you and/or cancel your test if you try and exploit the break timer.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you leave the building, kiss your test good-bye.

I have a hard time taking the full 10 minutes as is, let alone 15. I can pee, get a drink and rest my eyes in about 5 minutes...then I get to stew for another 5 about the next section.