UNLV vs Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teefdocta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With that being said, I need some help guys! I have family in vegas and they would probably help me out a bit on living expense if it matters. Appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Id go UNLV since its more cost effective, plus I can't see myself living in NE for four years

Reactions: 1 users
With that being said, I need some help guys! I have family in vegas and they would probably help me out a bit on living expense if it matters. Appreciated!
Nebraska isn't too terrible. People are very nice here and Creighton gives you great clinical experience. I'm from Hawaii, but the snow isn't the end of the world. Ultimately, you decide what's best for you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nebraska isn't too terrible. People are very nice here and Creighton gives you great clinical experience. I'm from Hawaii, but the snow isn't the end of the world. Ultimately, you decide what's best for you! :)
What are your personal pros and cons?

Thank you guys! Sorry for the late response. I have been busy with all the finals.
Ok, so I have been with the predental society at my school and everyone seems to have strong belief in Creighton for its renowned clinical experience. Upper classmates and some current ones (who are only accepted to Creighton) seriously go for Creighton (well apparently Creighton is their only option). Factor in the tuition, there is not much difference, Creighton would be staying at 240k and UNLV would grant me 260k with in state after first year. However, I have family in Vegas and it seems like living expense is cheaper if I stayed with them. I think I could stand the heat more than the snow in Nebraska. I have not personally visited Creighton, but from pictures that I have seen, the facilities are a bit dated and the clinic is somewhat sketchy. But everyone that I know who goes there seems to be happy about it, they loves the experience they have so far ( they are from New Mexico, so I guess it's similar in terms of weather wise and some other stuff). I'm from CA and my family there, it's only 3 hours drive from Vegas and I'm honestly could see myself better off living in Vegas. During my interview at UNLV, students talk positive things about the school, the curriculum seems to be difficult but totally manageable and such. I just didn't catch that much of a vibe from the clinical work that they have to do, maybe because it was because their slow day? But can someone give me insight about the clinic side of UNLV (possibly compared to Creighton?). Also, I have searched through old thread about UNLV, there were mix reviews, some states students are mostly stressed than laid back and professors are not that nice? (My interviewer was awesome though). Thank you guys and I'm much appreciated your help.

By clinicals in Vegas, do you mean more of classes or volunteering??

Thank you guys! Sorry for the late response. I have been busy with all the finals.
Ok, so I have been with the predental society at my school and everyone seems to have strong belief in Creighton for its renowned clinical experience. Upper classmates and some current ones (who are only accepted to Creighton) seriously go for Creighton (well apparently Creighton is their only option). Factor in the tuition, there is not much difference, Creighton would be staying at 240k and UNLV would grant me 260k with in state after first year. However, I have family in Vegas and it seems like living expense is cheaper if I stayed with them. I think I could stand the heat more than the snow in Nebraska. I have not personally visited Creighton, but from pictures that I have seen, the facilities are a bit dated and the clinic is somewhat sketchy. But everyone that I know who goes there seems to be happy about it, they loves the experience they have so far ( they are from New Mexico, so I guess it's similar in terms of weather wise and some other stuff). I'm from CA and my family there, it's only 3 hours drive from Vegas and I'm honestly could see myself better off living in Vegas. During my interview at UNLV, students talk positive things about the school, the curriculum seems to be difficult but totally manageable and such. I just didn't catch that much of a vibe from the clinical work that they have to do, maybe because it was because their slow day? But can someone give me insight about the clinic side of UNLV (possibly compared to Creighton?). Also, I have searched through old thread about UNLV, there were mix reviews, some states students are mostly stressed than laid back and professors are not that nice? (My interviewer was awesome though). Thank you guys and I'm much appreciated your help.

UNLV tends to focus more on public health and community service. Because there have vertical teams at UNLV, you don't have to compete with others to find patients. I'm not too sure how extensive their clincals are though. However, same with Creighton, you have a vertical team, so all the patients of the 4th or 3rd year go to you. Also because they don't offer specialties or have students compete for specialty programs, they claim to expose you to the specialties in their clincals. Either way both schools seem to offer a good amount of clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Id go UNLV since its more cost effective, plus I can't see myself living in NE for four years

Omaha is a great city, metro area of about 1,000,000 people too so. Creighton Campus is right downtown but is not a walk through campus like many schools. Once you are on campus it is pretty secluded, but step off campus and you are in the heart of Omaha. I considered Creighton for undergrad.

I think UNLV might be better for you because it'll be nice for you to be so close to family while going through the roller coaster of school. It'll be nice to know you're only a few hours from family in California. That way you can go home on holidays without spending a ton or being too far from them

Reactions: 1 user
Look like we're going to be classmate. Where else did you get in?