UNLV vs Rutgers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kysui2325

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
UNLV (In-state)

Total tuition: $228,843 for four years.

Pros:
  • I am more familiar and comfortable with the Las Vegas area.
  • The vibe of the relationship between students and between students and faculties seems to be more supportive and brighter(?) than Rutgers.
  • Faculties and admissions office try their best to help students who struggle or fail.
  • Class size about 83
  • D2 clinical experience starting.
  • Good clinical exposure
  • Better weather
  • Good patient pool
Cons:
  • No endo specialty (But I was told that it can be beneficial since general dental students can treat more complicated root canal cases)
  • Possibly more living fee since there is no dormitory offered by the school.

Rutgers University (second-year In-state)

Total tuition: $268,227 for four years.

Pros:
  • Possibly less living fee since Rutgers offers dormitories, and I may not need a car.
  • Very great clinical exposure
  • Large patients pool (School can get patients for students with no problem)
  • more prestigious dental school (Most people know)
  • Class size about 90
  • The vibe among the current students was good and Faculties seemed to be very nice.
  • All kinds of specialties are offered, including Endo.
Cons:

• I did not like the area around school, some factories around, and homeless people too. And kind of gray color vibes. But I interviewed there in the winter season, so it can be different in the spring or summer. I heard it is not safe around.
  • I was told that the admissions office does not hesitate to expel students who fail some.

I am struggling to choose between UNLV and Rutgers. Both schools are amazing. The facilities for both schools look fine. I am a little bit leaning toward UNLV, but my surrounding people all strongly recommend Rutgers more than UNLV. I wish I could have some insight here. I would really appreciate it if you give me any good opinions about it. Also, I have upcoming interviews with Touro and Western University. Do you think it would be better to drop these interviews? because their tuition is way more than at these two schools where I got accepted.

Touro (OOS). Total approximate tuition: $310,560 (not sure if its in-state or OOS tuition)
Western University (OOS). Total approximate tuition: $337,392

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I went to Rutgers. You should go to LV.

Don’t listen to the people around you if they can’t give you good reasons. At LV you will save money, be closer to people you love, and save yourself stress.

And drop the other interviews.

I went to Rutgers. You should go to LV.

Don’t listen to the people around you if they can’t give you good reasons. At LV you will save money, be closer to people you love, and save yourself stress.

And drop the other interviews.
Thank you for the advice. Actually, I have one sibling currently studying at Rutgers, and other family members are staying in LV. Could there be another reason why you think UNLV is better other than cheaper tuition? Considering the living fee, there may not be that much difference in the cost of attendance between the two. Either way, I am going to live apart from my family. Did you not feel anything special while attending Rutgers? Rutgers has a reputation for exceptional clinical education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you not feel anything special while attending Rutgers
Absolutely not.

Cost of living is cheap in Newark, but you said you didn’t like Newark. So you’d probably be in the costlier suburbs like Harrison or Jersey City

UNLV (In-state)

Total tuition: $228,843 for four years.

Pros:
  • I am more familiar and comfortable with the Las Vegas area.
  • The vibe of the relationship between students and between students and faculties seems to be more supportive and brighter(?) than Rutgers.
  • Faculties and admissions office try their best to help students who struggle or fail.
  • Class size about 83
  • D2 clinical experience starting.
  • Good clinical exposure
  • Better weather
  • Good patient pool
Cons:
  • No endo specialty (But I was told that it can be beneficial since general dental students can treat more complicated root canal cases)
  • Possibly more living fee since there is no dormitory offered by the school.

Rutgers University (second-year In-state)

Total tuition: $268,227 for four years.

Pros:
  • Possibly less living fee since Rutgers offers dormitories, and I may not need a car.
  • Very great clinical exposure
  • Large patients pool (School can get patients for students with no problem)
  • more prestigious dental school (Most people know)
  • Class size about 90
  • The vibe among the current students was good and Faculties seemed to be very nice.
  • All kinds of specialties are offered, including Endo.
Cons:

• I did not like the area around school, some factories around, and homeless people too. And kind of gray color vibes. But I interviewed there in the winter season, so it can be different in the spring or summer. I heard it is not safe around.
  • I was told that the admissions office does not hesitate to expel students who fail some.

I am struggling to choose between UNLV and Rutgers. Both schools are amazing. The facilities for both schools look fine. I am a little bit leaning toward UNLV, but my surrounding people all strongly recommend Rutgers more than UNLV. I wish I could have some insight here. I would really appreciate it if you give me any good opinions about it. Also, I have upcoming interviews with Touro and Western University. Do you think it would be better to drop these interviews? because their tuition is way more than at these two schools where I got accepted.

Touro (OOS). Total approximate tuition: $310,560 (not sure if its in-state or OOS tuition)
Western University (OOS). Total approximate tuition: $337,392
do you intend to practice in nevada after graduation?
or in the western half of the US?

do you intend to practice in nevada after graduation?
or in the western half of the US?
For now, in the far future, I intend to practice in Oregon or Washington. Possibly LA too but not sure yet. In any case, I would stay on the western side of the US. But, highly likely that I will move out of the state either way. Do you think that matters that much even when I will move out anyway?

For now, in the far future, I intend to practice in Oregon or Washington. Possibly LA too but not sure yet. In any case, I would stay on the western side of the US. But, highly likely that I will move out of the state either way. Do you think that matters that much even when I will move out anyway?
it matters a little because west coast people will know more about unlv than rutgers
but if unlv is closer to your friends/family, i would choose there
support systems are important...

Absolutely not.

Cost of living is cheap in Newark, but you said you didn’t like Newark. So you’d probably be in the costlier suburbs like Harrison or Jersey City
If I choose to attend Rutgers, I will live in a dormitory, mostly 180 w building. So I am sure the cost of living at Rutgers will be cheaper than LV. But tuition in LV is cheaper, so I think it would be a similar price to attend any.

it matters a little because west coast people will know more about unlv than rutgers
but if unlv is closer to your friends/family, i would choose there
support systems are important...
Thank you for the advice. I came to LV about three years ago, and I was too busy making friends. So, I only have one sibling in LV. and I actually have another sibling attending Rutgers now. That is why I am abit struggling to choose between the two.