NYC_anest_2004

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2004
38
0
Status
Anesthesiology
This list was created on 03/15/2005 11:55:01
This list is updated every hour as programs fill their positions.

Connecticut Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

U Connecticut Hlth Ctr
Anthony Peluso 1094040A0 8 4 4

Illinois Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Rush University Med Ctr-IL
Anthony Ivankovich 1147040A0* 8 5 3

Iowa Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

U Iowa Hosp/Clin-Iowa City
Tara Hata 1203040A0 3 1 2
P: 319-353-8340
F: 319-356-2940
[email protected]
Tara Hata 1203040C0 10 8 2
P: 319-353-8340
F: 319-356-2940
[email protected]

Kentucky Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Univ Louisville SOM-KY
Anilkumar Vinayakan 1217040A0 2 1 1
P: 502-852-5851
F: 502-852-6056

Louisiana Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

LSUHSC-Shreveport-LA
Randall Cork 1232040C0* 3 2 1
P: 318-675-5298
F: 318-675-6881
[email protected]

Massachusetts Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

New England Med Ctr-MA
Iqbal Ahmed 1263040A0 6 5 1
P: 617-636-9303
F: 617-636-8384
[email protected]

St Elizabeths Med Ctr-MA
David Cullen 1266040A0* 3 1 2
P: 617-789-2777
[email protected]
David Cullen 1266040C0* 3 1 2
P: 617-789-2777
[email protected]

Missouri Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

St Louis Univ SOM-MO
James DeBoard 1365040C0 3 1 2
P: 314-577-8750
F: 314-268-5102
[email protected]

University Hosps-Columbia-MO
Joel Johnson 1994040A0* 2 0 2
P: 573-882-2568
F: 573-882-2226
[email protected]
Joel Johnson 1994040C0* 2 0 2
P: 573-882-2568
F: 573-882-2226
[email protected]

New Jersey Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

St Josephs Reg Med Ctr-NJ
Stephen Winikoff 1406040A0* 7 4 3

UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Piscataway
Christine Hunter 2918040A0 7 4 3
P: 732-235-6153
F: 732-235-6131
[email protected]

New Mexico Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

U New Mexico SOM
Paul Diana 1962040A0 1 0 1
P: 505-272-2734
F: 505-272-1300
[email protected]

New York Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Nassau Univ Med Ctr-NY
Kenneth Freese 1448040A0 1 0 1
[email protected]

Univ Buffalo Grad Med-NY
Mark Lema 3099040C0 8 2 6
P: 716-859-4530

Ohio Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Case Western/Univ Hosps Cleveland-OH
Matthew Norcia 1552040A0 1 0 1
P: --
[email protected]
Matthew Norcia 1552040C0 11 8 3
[email protected]

Metrohealth Med Ctr-OH
Tejbir Sidhu 1553040A0 6 5 1
[email protected]

Ohio State Univ Med Ctr-OH
Michael Howie 1566040A0* 10 8 2
P: 614-293-4544
F: 614-293-9643
[email protected]

Pennsylvania Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Drexel (MCP Hahnemann) U COM-PA
Willie Hardy 1849040C0* 4 3 1
P: 215-762-7922
F: 215-762-8656
[email protected]

Temple Univ Hosp-PA
Scott Schartel 1646040A0* 6 4 2
P: 215-707-3506
F: 215-707-8028
[email protected]

Virginia Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys
Jay Shapiro 1743040C0 8 4 4
F: 804-828-8682

West Virginia Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

West Virginia University SOM
Kathleen Rosen 1837040C0* 2 1 1
[email protected]

25 record(s) found.
* Use ERAS for Scramble
 

HeyDoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2004
27
0
Visit site
Status
Wow, is it just me or has the quality of programs to scramble into for Anesthesia sure has dropped. No Cornell, U penn, U of Washington, etc...
The only program that didn't fill in my opinion that was in the upper tier was U. of Iowa.

Good luck to the scramblers!! Two more days of waiting :scared:
 

GasMD

whazup
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
36
0
Jurassic Park
Status
Good friend of mine at U. Iowa told me that although they interview ~80 people but they rank only 20 - 22 people for their slots. It's a very strong program in the midwest otherwise.



HeyDoc said:
Wow, is it just me or has the quality of programs to scramble into for Anesthesia sure has dropped. No Cornell, U penn, U of Washington, etc...
The only program that didn't fill in my opinion that was in the upper tier was U. of Iowa.

Good luck to the scramblers!! Two more days of waiting :scared:
 
About the Ads

djipopo

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2001
286
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
NYC_anest_2004 said:
Connecticut Code Quota Matched
in Match Currently
Unfilled

U Connecticut Hlth Ctr
Anthony Peluso 1094040A0 8 4 4
what do the numbers 8 4 4 stand for?
 

erasmus31

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
28
0
Status
Someone told me not to look at unmatched spots as a marker for competitiveness of a program. This being because some programs purposely leave spots unmatched to take students who may have to scramble into there own program.

For example, could UConn purposely leave spots open in case a UConn Med student(s) doesn't match, and UConn has open spots to kind of take care of their own students? Any truth to this. It seems like a lot of people liked UConn's program, and although its not a great location, it seems it is good enough to fill more than half its spots....right?
 

UTSouthwestern

1K Member
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2003
2,070
18
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Status
erasmus31 said:
Someone told me not to look at unmatched spots as a marker for competitiveness of a program. This being because some programs purposely leave spots unmatched to take students who may have to scramble into there own program.

For example, could UConn purposely leave spots open in case a UConn Med student(s) doesn't match, and UConn has open spots to kind of take care of their own students? Any truth to this. It seems like a lot of people liked UConn's program, and although its not a great location, it seems it is good enough to fill more than half its spots....right?
I don't think that this is quite accurate as my program filled the fifteen spots it put in the match, but still has 3 for May, 2006 outside the spot that are ACGME approved (and of which one has already been filled), yet Southwestern is not listed as having unmatched positions.
 

August_Bier

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2004
27
0
Status
erasmus31 said:
Someone told me not to look at unmatched spots as a marker for competitiveness of a program. This being because some programs purposely leave spots unmatched to take students who may have to scramble into there own program.

For example, could UConn purposely leave spots open in case a UConn Med student(s) doesn't match, and UConn has open spots to kind of take care of their own students? Any truth to this. It seems like a lot of people liked UConn's program, and although its not a great location, it seems it is good enough to fill more than half its spots....right?
It would be difficult to leave a certain number of spots open after submitting the list of available spots that are now listed above to the NRMP on Jan 15 - since listing only a few people can easiliy leave you burned. In that case the match is an equal gamble for the PDs. Leaving spots open would imply not reporting them available on the deadline in January and then they would not show as "unfilled" now.
 

nolagas

Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2004
1,306
647
Status
erasmus31 said:
Someone told me not to look at unmatched spots as a marker for competitiveness of a program. This being because some programs purposely leave spots unmatched to take students who may have to scramble into there own program.

For example, could UConn purposely leave spots open in case a UConn Med student(s) doesn't match, and UConn has open spots to kind of take care of their own students? Any truth to this. It seems like a lot of people liked UConn's program, and although its not a great location, it seems it is good enough to fill more than half its spots....right?
This doesn't stand to reason. If a program wants to make sure its students match, then it would rank it's students higher, not avoid matching all spots to later fill them in the scramble. There would be no advantage to that scenario. If the the residency ranks the students high but the UCONN students matched elsewhere, then the residency would go further down it's list but still get filled. If a UCONN student didn't match in a program higher on his match list, then he would match at UCONN. By ranking it's students high, the residency and students would end up with the same results as in your scenario, but without the hastle of going unfilled or unmatched. I think someone misled you.
 

gasgodess

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2004
87
0
Status
nolagas said:
This doesn't stand to reason. If a program wants to make sure its students match, then it would rank it's students higher, not avoid matching all spots to later fill them in the scramble. There would be no advantage to that scenario. If the the residency ranks the students high but the UCONN students matched elsewhere, then the residency would go further down it's list but still get filled. If a UCONN student didn't match in a program higher on his match list, then he would match at UCONN. By ranking it's students high, the residency and students would end up with the same results as in your scenario, but without the hastle of going unfilled or unmatched. I think someone misled you.
This would only hold true if the UCONN student student ranked the UCONN program originally.

However, I agree with youthat a program wouldn't intentionally remain unfilled for this purpose to match it's own students
 

gogogas

New Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
6
0
Status
Does anyone have insight as to why Case Western University did not fill? During interviews, this program stood out as an excellent program with great faculty and residents. Am I missing anything here??? :confused:
 

PassinGas

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
84
1
Status
I would have to agree with you about Case Western UH. I thought the program was strong and had great didactics, residents, & facilities. I can't figure it out (and yes, I know Cleaveland is cold).
 

jenjas

REDSOXNATION
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2002
38
0
45
New Freakin Jersey
Visit site
Status
PassinGas said:
I would have to agree with you about Case Western UH. I thought the program was strong and had great didactics, residents, & facilities. I can't figure it out (and yes, I know Cleaveland is cold).
Ya, I was also suprised that Case Western did not fill. I thought it was one of the best programs I interviewed at (Nicest Hospital by far). I had it ranked #1 up until about 2 weeks before the deadline, but because of location it dropped to #3. Who knows, I may have matched there. Guess I'll find out in 12 hours. UCONN also suprised me. Hartford Hospital is a surgical powerhouse.....40+ OR's. I wonder if they just didn't rank very many people. Any thoughts on why RUSH went unfilled?

Anyone know what bar/club the match party is at in NYC on Friday?
 

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
4,010
24
44
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
jenjas said:
Ya, I was also suprised that Case Western did not fill. I thought it was one of the best programs I interviewed at (Nicest Hospital by far). I had it ranked #1 up until about 2 weeks before the deadline, but because of location it dropped to #3. Who knows, I may have matched there. Guess I'll find out in 12 hours. UCONN also suprised me. Hartford Hospital is a surgical powerhouse.....40+ OR's. I wonder if they just didn't rank very many people. Any thoughts on why RUSH went unfilled?

Anyone know what bar/club the match party is at in NYC on Friday?
From what I hear they save some spots for their own who don't match into the competitive specialties. Not sure how that all works out or why don't just leave those spots out of the match.
 

JP2005

HOPKINS GAS PASSER
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 20, 2001
259
0
38
NYC/Baltimore
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
the match party this friday night in NYC is at

BLVD....bring your match certificate and school ID for free admission.......i would get there early to avoid crowds and lines......see you there....

good times baby......

jay


heres the info....

http://www.pathikpatel.com/flyers/blvd.jpg
 

impetigo

Anesthesia Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
76
0
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
VentdependenT said:
From what I hear they save some spots for their own who don't match into the competitive specialties. Not sure how that all works out or why don't just leave those spots out of the match.
That's not likely, as programs can't "save" spots that they have entered in the match, unless you mean they purposely don't rank many candidates in hopes of leaving a few spots unfilled (like someone was saying about UConn above). I don't think it's a big deal that a program doesn't fill, likely it has more to do with programs not ranking enough candidates than anything else. Incidentally, though, Rush hasn't filled in 3 of the past 5 years.
 

gasgodess

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2004
87
0
Status
JP2005 said:
the match party this friday night in NYC is at

BLVD....bring your match certificate and school ID for free admission.......i would get there early to avoid crowds and lines......see you there....

good times baby......

jay


heres the info....

http://www.pathikpatel.com/flyers/blvd.jpg
can you send a betterwebsite with the flyers. THey're minature on that website.

--gasgodess
 

ThinkFast007

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
830
3
jolly good show
Status
gasgodess said:
can you send a betterwebsite with the flyers. THey're minature on that website.

--gasgodess

i'm not one of those throwing it or anything...

but it shows up small...double click it... a little gray box pops up on the bottom left. click on that. then it will blow up the flier..

hope that helps
 

gasgodess

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2004
87
0
Status
ThinkFast007 said:
i'm not one of those throwing it or anything...

but it shows up small...double click it... a little gray box pops up on the bottom left. click on that. then it will blow up the flier..

hope that helps
Thanks
 

MER05

New Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
1
0
Status
UTSouthwestern,

I was just wondering if there are still any unfilled spots for May 06? (you mentioned 3 a few days back). If so, is your program looking to fill them now?
Thanks.
 

ketafol

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
189
0
Status
Good friend of mine at U. Iowa told me that although they interview ~80 people but they rank only 20 - 22 people for their slots. It's a very strong program in the midwest otherwise.

Is this true? Seems like a waste of everybodys time if you are only going to rank 1/4 of those you interview.
 

chips

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2002
194
0
New York
Visit site
Status
my opinion is that U Iowa probably ranked as many ppl as they believed they needed to to fill. Most of the time the programs base it on experience from years past. However, while we the applicants have more objective standards (like grades, board scores, etc) to guide us in figuring out how many programs to rank to guarantee match, the programs only have their experience and their own perception of how competitive/desirable they are to guide them. So, some years they are popular and may not even need to go down their whole rank list, while other years they get burned and go unfilled.
 
About the Ads