Unmatched USMD need advice

Started by nongnong1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

A good score can help, but a bad score or failure can make things 10 times worse than they are now. I'd focus on doing well this year clinically and getting good letters. Take Step 3 when the pressure is off.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would move on from psych. It hurts but you got your answer in that field and S3 isn't gonna move the needle. If you commit to peds and apply broadly I think it will work out for you.
How many peds programs would you recommend I apply to and when would you recommend I take Step 3? Should I take it before ranking happens?
 
How many peds programs would you recommend I apply to and when would you recommend I take Step 3? Should I take it before ranking happens?
It’s less the number and more the appropriate tier. Like, you’re not going to Texas Children’s. But if you put out even 30-50 apps to reasonable programs I think it will work out for you. Peds is not competitive.

the step 3 question is kind of neither here nor there for me. I would probably take it during your TY because your peds residency won’t do much to help you. Obviously you need to pass or it’s a disaster, but you’ll probably pass since most do