Unmatched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juststop86

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If Programs are Unmatched in one month, can they in theory fill those spots with a pgy2 applicant? Also typically how many programs go Unmatched every year?

Members don't see this ad.

If Programs are Unmatched in one month, can they in theory fill those spots with a pgy2 applicant? Also typically how many programs go Unmatched every year?

Idk the answer to your question but I'm very disappointed to see that I'm not the only person thinking about this.

I think there were something like 6 unfilled last year. I don't know if this was the number pre or post SOAP. Probably anyone with one of these positions would want to fill with a PGY-I and not a II.

Members don't see this ad :)
A program could do whatever they preferred post match (also includes post-SOAP). For most I would suspect that going after a PGY1 would be the path one would choose. Others could go for a PGY2. Given current numbers, there likely won't be many of these choices.

is there any way to get a list of the unfilled programs this year?

Hi guys, I'm unmatched and unsoaped :( .... I would like to ask you for advice for next year. How can I improve my chances? I know that I have to be a psychiatrist, I'm sure that's my mission in life, I'm committed and I know I'll be excellent, so please give me your sincere guidance.
IMG need visa. Step1 215, step2 230, CS pass. All first time.
Came to the US in 2012 for 1 year as med student, did 2 month rotation in psych adult and c&a. (and others like surgery, ped, cardio, fm, etc)
Then back to my country to practice as a physician under supervision for 1 year as part of social service in a women's hospital. Then 6 months as attending at a FM clinic. Came back to US on a working visa and still here, have knowledge of US health system, insurance reports, coding, billing, EMRs, HIPAA, MACRA, PCMH etc.
Only 1 LOR was from a psych, saddly he died a few months ago and now idk any other psych for a LOR for next year. 2 LORs from FM.
Only got 2 IV, went pregnant and I thought everything went great. Now I have a 1-month-old baby, can't afford daycare to go out there to do research or rotations.
Please advise!

Thanks for your reply, I haven't tried yet. But will do... What can improve my chances the better ? Passing step 3 or a job as a research assistant (which will allow me to get new LORs from psychiatrist hopefully). It might have to be either or because of my family situation.

Not unless you are in the SOAP.

Seriously--don't even try.

Hi! I know how devestatiing it can be to not match. I created a FB page for unmatched and unlicensed physicians. The primary focus of this group is support services for unlicensed physicians, medical students who do not match or are choosing not to go to residency, and residents that do not finish their program. Please let me know if you are interested. It is called unmatched unlicensed unaffiliated physician group.

I transferred as a 3rd year, a lot of people leave for child psych. Another resident transferred as a 2nd year and the same year a smart resident transferred to a non-malignant program after her PGY 1.