exeunt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Status
Medical Student
i'm taking a year off between third and fourth year and will basically have the month of june off before i reenter MS4--my school doesn't allow earlier reenrollment. i was told by some that it could be a good idea to do an unofficial derm rotation/away then if the institution was okay with it. does anyone know how this works, if it would be a good idea and which schools allow this? any advice is appreciated :)

asmallchild

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
i'm taking a year off between third and fourth year and will basically have the month of june off before i reenter MS4--my school doesn't allow earlier reenrollment. i was told by some that it could be a good idea to do an unofficial derm rotation/away then if the institution was okay with it. does anyone know how this works, if it would be a good idea and which schools allow this? any advice is appreciated :)
You simply pick a program that you would be interested in and ask if you could do a rotation for a month. You will have to let them know that you are not officially re-enrolled yet to see if they are ok with it.

OP
E

exeunt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Status
Medical Student
You simply pick a program that you would be interested in and ask if you could do a rotation for a month. You will have to let them know that you are not officially re-enrolled yet to see if they are ok with it.
thanks so much! would an unofficial rotation still have the potential benefits of an "official" one (i.e. higher chance of getting an interview)?

asmallchild

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
thanks so much! would an unofficial rotation still have the potential benefits of an "official" one (i.e. higher chance of getting an interview)?
Assuming they normally give rotators courtesy interviews, yes. I would still do research from past students/rotators to see if an audition rotation (official or not) is worthwhile

doc MD

5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
even if you don't touch the patients, you need malpractice insurance. if this is an unofficial rotation, it means you are not covered and the place you are rotating at is liable.

OP
E

exeunt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Status
Medical Student
after some researching it seems like my home institution might be more receptive to an unofficial rotation. assuming this (or an unofficial rotation at any other site) wouldn't appear on my transcript, would it seem odd if it appeared that i didn't rotate at my own med school? thank you guys for your help!

asmallchild

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
after some researching it seems like my home institution might be more receptive to an unofficial rotation. assuming this (or an unofficial rotation at any other site) wouldn't appear on my transcript, would it seem odd if it appeared that i didn't rotate at my own med school? thank you guys for your help!
It would definitely be a little odd, maybe you would be better off doing some sort of research rotation for the "free" month and then signing up for an official rotation?