Unphu Veterinary Freshman advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liampetri

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my names Liam and I'm a senior in high school right now. But next year I'm going to veterinary school in Dominican Republic, UNPHU if you've heard of it. The school is AVMA accredited so I'll be able to take the ECFVG in the US if I wanna go back and practice there. My moms Dominican and I go there most summers so I do know enough Spanish to hold a conversation but not enough for college, I'm guessing I'll pick it up quickly enough though once I'm there.
But I was just wondering if you could give me your opinion on the situation and if you have an experience with learning medicine in a different language or friends who have done similar?

Also my dream is to be able to travel the world and work with large animals like elephants and lions and do field research for organizations like WWF, maybe living in South Africa. What are the opportunities like for Veterinarians in terms of travel and field research or expeditions? And besides a Veterinary degree what other degrees or prerequisites are usually asked for in these types of jobs, especially working with wildlife and research instead of dogs and cats?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, my names Liam and I'm a senior in high school right now. But next year I'm going to veterinary school in Dominican Republic, UNPHU if you've heard of it. The school is AVMA accredited so I'll be able to take the ECFVG in the US if I wanna go back and practice there. My moms Dominican and I go there most summers so I do know enough Spanish to hold a conversation but not enough for college, I'm guessing I'll pick it up quickly enough though once I'm there.
But I was just wondering if you could give me your opinion on the situation and if you have an experience with learning medicine in a different language or friends who have done similar?

Also my dream is to be able to travel the world and work with large animals like elephants and lions and do field research for organizations like WWF, maybe living in South Africa. What are the opportunities like for Veterinarians in terms of travel and field research or expeditions? And besides a Veterinary degree what other degrees or prerequisites are usually asked for in these types of jobs, especially working with wildlife and research instead of dogs and cats?

are you sure its AVMA accredited? I dont see it listed here: Accredited Veterinary Colleges

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be wary of going to a veterinary school that teaches in Spanish if you don't understand medical Spanish. Hopefully you will pick up on it, but that is taking a bit of a risk to just hope you pick up on it. Vet school is difficult enough in a language you do completely understand add in trying to figure out another language that you are "hoping you will pick up" could make the difference between success and failure.

Reactions: 3 users
I won't belabor the point that it's not AVMA accredited - I think you've got that in the other posts.

I strongly, strongly discourage going to vet school that's going to be conducted in a language you're not fluent in. As the others have pointed out, vet school is already extremely difficult and fast-paced when it's in your native language. If you're attending a school that's taught in a language that you're only at conversational-level of speaking, I would think it's going to be close to impossible to keep up and pass - and even if you're able to memorize the word you need to spit out for an exam, are you really going to understand the nuances of what's being said, and how everything ties together, when you have to spend so much time translating it?

It sounds like this is a done deal already, but I'd urge you to reconsider.

This sounds like something maybe @WildZoo could answer.