Unposted Vacancies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bollinger_MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought it would be nice to have a place for people to share info about vacant/open positions that are not publicly posted.

With all the challenges of successfully matching, I thought it would be nice to streamline the process for both applicants and programs so that it isn’t such an arduous process. Having vacancies in training programs going unfilled is the last thing that GME needs right now. Thanks to all those willing to share for the benefit of others.

Members don't see this ad.

Thought it would be nice to have a place for people to share info about vacant/open positions that are not publicly posted.

With all the challenges of successfully matching, I thought it would be nice to streamline the process for both applicants and programs so that it isn’t such an arduous process. Having vacancies in training programs going unfilled is the last thing that GME needs right now. Thanks to all those willing to share for the benefit of others.
There is a whole forum for this…

Reactions: 1 users

Former resident? Decide ENT was not for you? I had a friend switch from ENT to rads after 2 years. He is happy as a Attending now.

Former resident? Decide ENT was not for you? I had a friend switch from ENT to rads after 2 years. He is happy as a Attending now.
Unfortunately, no. Happy for your friend, but I'll be lucky if I am able to get a medical license at all after what was done to me.

I am one of the many residents that was pushed out by a program that put more focus on building a falsified paper trail in an attempt to coerce my resignation than they were about teaching me. They even falsely accused me for the intracranial misplacement of a feeding tube.

Even after providing extensive evidence to my entire department faculty that I had been falsely accused, the false accusation was included in five separate drafts of a probation letter that I ultimately had to sign in order to continue my ENT training on probation. Two months later, I was told that my contract would not be renewed because "a series of performance issues where the academic core competency of professionalism was not met."

Excerpt from ACGME Core Program Requirements for OHNS:
"IV.B.1. The program must integrate the following ACGME Competencies into the curriculum: (Core)
IV.B.1.a) Professionalism: Residents must demonstrate a commitment to professionalism and an adherence to ethical principles. (Core)
IV.B.1.a).(1) Residents must demonstrate competence in:
IV.B.1.a).(1).(a) compassion, integrity, and respect for others; (Core)
IV.B.1.a).(1).(b) responsiveness to patient needs that supersedes self-interest; (Core)

Background and Intent: This includes the recognition that under certain circumstances, the interests of the patient may be best served by transitioning care to another provider. Examples include fatigue, conflict or duality of interest, not connecting well with a patient, or when another physician would be better for the situation based on skill set or knowledge base.
IV.B.1.a).(1).(c) respect for patient privacy and autonomy; (Core)
IV.B.1.a).(1).(d) accountability to patients, society, and the profession; (Core)
IV.B.1.a).(1).(e) respect and responsiveness to diverse patient populations, including but not limited to diversity in gender, age, culture, race, religion, disabilities, national origin, socioeconomic status, and sexual orientation; (Core)
IV.B.1.a).(1).(f) ability to recognize and develop a plan for one’s own personal and professional well-being; and, (Core)
IV.B.1.a).(1).(g) appropriately disclosing and addressing conflict or duality of interest. (Core)
"

Despite my failure to meet the academic core competency of professionalism, I was publicly recognized by staff across the hospital system on an employee excellence program called "Kudos" more during my 2.5 years as a resident than the other 15 ENT residents in my program during that time period combined.

Excerpts from Kudos recognitions:
"Thanks for taking time to find a difficult patient! We appreciate all that you do for our nurses and patients!" - Inpatient Oncology Floor Nurse
"Appreciate all your hard work and dedication my man, it doesn't go unnoticed. Without a doubt, the CVICU's best/favorite doc, per every nurse!" - Inpatient Cardiac ICU Nurse
"Dr. Bollinger is an an incredibly smart, compassionate physician." - Outpatient Pharmacist
"Thank you for dedicating so much time to a patient in the CICU. His son and him both appreciate it. Myself and other nurses have noticed how you will spend time talking to the patient even if it's in the middle of the night." - Inpatient Cardiac ICU Nurse
"[Y]ou were recognized by the Inpatient Oncology nurses as being an amazing physician that they love to work with." - Inpatient Oncology Unit Nurses (1 of 14 physicians hospital-wide that were recognized including 5 attendings, 3 fellows, and 5 residents.)
"Just wanted to give a shout out to Dr. Bollinger for updating the consent forms and for being on the lookout for follow up appointments that need to be made or are no longer needed! We appreciate it greatly!” - Outpatient Clinic Nurse
"Thank you for being amazing providers! Not only do you take great care of your patients and take the time to address all of their needs, but you are also thoughtful and respectful towards everyone. The staff at WCH pre-op and PACU appreciate you!" - Womens and Childrens Hospital OR Nursing Supervisor (One of two residents receiving this recognition.)
“Thanks for thinking of us and helping with better using the “to be scanned” basket. We appreciate it!" - Outpatient Clinic Nurse
"Just wanted to give a shout out to Dr. Bollinger for updating the consent forms and for being on the look out for follow up appointments that need to be made or are no longer needed! We appreciate it greatly!" - Outpatient Clinic Nurse

Anyone who thinks that GME isn't broken, please feel free to explain how a resident with recognitions like the quotes above could be pushed out for issues with professionalism.

Anyone who thinks that GME isn't broken, please feel free to explain how a resident with recognitions like the quotes above could be pushed out for issues with professionalism.

Damn. I feel for you.

Professionalism issues are a tricky thing because even people with true professionalism issues are fine 99.5% of the time so most people they interact with don't see it.

I'm not saying that's what happened with you. I'm just saying that a resident with lots of accolades can still have major professionalism issues.

Reactions: 1 user