unstable angina vs MI

Started by ptptt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ptptt

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is something that may help to pass the time until St. Pat's day:
Can USA and MI be differentiated by clinical symptoms?
This was an argument that we were having on rounds this AM. Anybody have any input? I don't think that you can tell the difference on clinical symptoms.

thanks
 
ptptt said:
Here is something that may help to pass the time until St. Pat's day:
Can USA and MI be differentiated by clinical symptoms?
This was an argument that we were having on rounds this AM. Anybody have any input? I don't think that you can tell the difference on clinical symptoms.

thanks

What do you mean? Is it differentiating based on the quality, intensity or location of pain, +/- diaphoresis, +/- relief with SLNTG, +/- relief with GI cocktail.. I'd say the answer is no.
 
I think the primary answer for your question is NO... Only with ECG and enzymes we can differentiate between the two. However, there is one clinical aspect that can give us a clue: duration of pain. If the patient has the pain for, let's say, 4 hours, it is more likely to be MI and UA. "Likely"is the key here though. 👍

Hb