Unsure of next move, looking to graduate school, working in field for years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moki1984

Reaction score
Good afternoon.
I know this type of post is probably common, and I have read some on here. I am currently at a crossroads in my career and need to take the next step forward, but I am unsure. I am looking at graduate programs , at the Masters and Doctorate level. I have to go to school online, I could do some evening/weekend hybrid tidbits when necessary and proctored exams, but mostly online due to working and having a family. I am located in North Carolina and relocation is not an option right now.

Let me explain my current situation:
Graduated 2012 with a BSc, Psych Major Bio Minor, 3.89 cgpa. Certified in Crisis Prevention & Intervention annually and I use it. I began working as a Mental Health Technician pretty quickly after graduation at an inpatient, acute care behavioral health facility. We also have outpatient, but our focus is inpatient during moments of crisis. We get them to their baseline then refer them to whatever their next step is, usually home with outpatient setup .

After about 8 months as a tech I was promoted to Patient Advocate and I have maintained that position for years, currently doing it fulltime. So I witness direct care and admin on a daily basis. I fall under Quality Assurance and Risk Management, I have learned the fine art of reports and turning everything into numbers and spreadsheets for inspections etc lol I have also learned a great deal about listening, understanding cues from patients, helping other staff to improve their interpersonal skills, anticipating patient needs etc.

I also learned that I don't want to be a Psychiatrist by seeing how they operate with our patients lol, I mean no offense but I feel that most of you will understand.

So, a 4 year degree and 6 years of experience. I'm no spring chicken, but I am not so old I can't go back to school lol (34)

I am unsure where to go next. I don't want to get more involved with admin, such as CFO, Risk Manager etc. Nope.

I want to help people, I want to counsel people ( probably more outpatient than inpatient). I do have a leaning towards trauma as we have an entire building dedicated to this and I have personal experience with trauma/PTSD myself, I also have a leaning towards spiritual/transpersonal psych so I would see myself working with not only secular clients but those that want faith to be a part of their journey. I am a Veteran and of course I can see the correlation of trauma-soldiers so the idea of possibly working with DOD in the future is in my mind.

Would appreciate any insights or thoughts you have into this. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are absolutely limited to online or hybrid, I would go with a masters degree, probably an MSW, as those are a bit more versatile than mental health counseling degrees. Doctorate degrees are very difficult to accomplish via online methods. The only schools that provide an online clinical psych doctorate provide incredibly poor training and cost a lot of time and money.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be so difficult for me to go to a traditional brick and mortar full time, would require leaving my job and I am the main breadwinner. So yes, I need online/hybrid unless I risk the financial stability of our home

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, stay away from online doctorates. Especially if you are not able to relocate as the final steps require a full time internship, and sometimes a post-doc. Licensure at the MA level will also require supervised experience, however those placements will likely be much less competitive and more locally available than a doctoral level internship.

Agree with folks about online doctoral programs. Just make sure your master's in SW is CSWE-accredited or master's in counseling is CACREP-accredited. That means at least minimal standards and NOT having an accredited master's (particularly in SW) will lock you out of MANY if not most jobs.

Agree with folks about online doctoral programs. Just make sure your master's in SW is CSWE-accredited or master's in counseling is CACREP-accredited. That means at least minimal standards and NOT having an accredited master's (particularly in SW) will lock you out of MANY if not most jobs.

Agreed! Make sure the program meets CACREP or social work accreditation standards (CSWE). The accreditation information should be freely available on the website about the graduate program. If a program isn't accredited by either of these bodies, steer clear of the program, because it could be a master's degree that won't lead to state licensure as a counselor or clinical social worker, which is what you are wanting.

Sup.
If you're a veteran, you can use the Post 9/11 Gi Bill for your Masters.
If you have a service-connected disability, you qualify for Ch. 31 Vocational and Rehabilitation program.
Cost shouldn't be an issue, however, if you want to continue to work and attend classes part-time and eventually full-time, I would recommend USCs MSW (online) program, it is where I get my MSW myself. Classes are asynchronous and synchronous. When it is time for class, you log in onto the student portal, turn on your webcam, and actually see your professor and classmates. So in the program, the classes themselves are online, when it comes time to do the practicum, a field advisor is appointed to you that then finds a community setting where you can start your practicum aka internship. It's a good program, here the link Online Master of Social Work | USC's Online MSW