Unsure when to do MBA, or even when to take the GMAT. Unfamiliar with the process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flatsilver

Reaction score
I'm currently still in my gap year and I will be applying to med school next year. However, I am very interested in doing a "side-project" as a doc, such as a start-up business or starting a non-profit, which recently led me to consider an MBA along with an MD.

However, MD is my priority and I am aiming for a top MD program, whether or not I'll be successful is another consideration. To elaborate, I would choose a good MD program with no MBA over an average MD with MBA. Many big-name MD schools might also have a big name MBA program, and from what I know, those schools expect good business experience or good plan of action in order to be a successful MBA applicant. I am also quite worried about admissions processes that hold an MD application review until after the MBA is reviewed, which will disadvantage the MD review due to rolling admissions.

I'm also debating when to take the GMAT because if I end up applying much after earning my MD, the score would have expired. However, if I apply to dual degree programs or during MS3, my lack of business experience might end up being an issue and result in my applying much after my MD anyways.

But on the other hand, I am not sure how realistic it will be to go back to school as an attending. And if it does turn out to be easier to get into an MBA program as an MD, I mind as well apply while in med school (I heard that some MBA programs basically auto-accept medical students). Unfortunately, I am pretty new to this process and unsure of the ins and outs.

I'm basically looking for advice from someone more familiar with the process.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need an MBA to start a business and an MPH is more useful to start a non-profit.

I'm MD/MBA and just finished my MBA during a gap year and honestly I think it would be super hard to do it as an attending.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually just applied to MBA program as well (and just about to finish MD/PhD). Depending on the MBA program, this may be feasible. But since neither of us it attempting to apply for an investment banking firm, I'd say go cheap. You really just need the foundation, and the rest you can teach yourself while still having credentials. Even the White Coat Investor says to do this for med school as you end up teaching yourself a lot anyway (and tuition, interest rates are f-ing ridiculous).

If you make it through your first few classes in med school alright, I'm starting to look for partners for an online-based medical education start-up. Too many ideas, not enough man-power!

I don’t believe the GMAT is required for all programs.