Unsure where to go with my final attempt with the DAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothlover232

Reaction score
I’ve have been given lots of mixed recommendations on what to study. For the past two attempts I used DAT bootcamp and iprep and got a 16 AA both times. I was contemplating using DAT booster and DAT destroyer for this time around. Any recommendations? I’m also wondering if I should get a private tutor or not. If you know any good tutors please let me know! Ive been struggling with creating an effective study method and really want to be successful with a 20+ This time around!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recommend DATBooster and DAT Destroyer. I went from Bootcamp to DATBooster and I saw an increase in my score (18AA->22AA). I chose DATBooster because I didn't want to use Bootcamp again given my score and I found Booster to be more representative of the test (especially for Bio and PAT specifically) and most importantly, it's cheaper. DAT Destroyer offers difficult problems that ensure you know the fundamentals needed to solve them. This is helpful in identifying what you need to study.

P.S. whatever you sign up for, always ask if they have any coupons, specials, deals, etc. you'll save a small chunk of cash.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve have been given lots of mixed recommendations on what to study. For the past two attempts I used DAT bootcamp and iprep and got a 16 AA both times. I was contemplating using DAT booster and DAT destroyer for this time around. Any recommendations? I’m also wondering if I should get a private tutor or not. If you know any good tutors please let me know! Ive been struggling with creating an effective study method and really want to be successful with a 20+ This time around!
I can't speak for anything besides the Destroyers, but they were more than enough for me to not only get a 20+ but a 22+ in most things! The questions are incredibly challenging on the first pass, but they also prepare you very well for virtually any question you would see. Math Destroyer + DAT Destroyer combo, plus free Destroyer materials on their study group were the way to go for me.

I do think it's also worth evaluating why you scored a 16 AA on your first two runs. Clearly the resources you used didn't fit your learning style, but you need to figure out how to improve before going into this one. I think the Destroyers are great for fleshing out where your weaknesses are, personally, but in addition it would be helpful to get a realistic picture of where you need to prepare more and add supplemental materials as needed. It's really important you do much better on this run, because unfortunately dental schools see each of your attempts regardless of how you do.

Hopefully this helps some. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you use the boot camp previously? How much actual study time did you feel you were putting in before?

Best thing is practice questions and active recall via flash cards
I only used bootcamp for the non science sections. I got a 19 on PAT but my reading was 15 and QR was a 15. I started seeing a lot of the same questions on QR for bootcamp so I never got to to truly expand my math practice. I took all my sciences on iprep then would take the last half of full lengths on bootcamp. Tbh my scores would range from 15-18. One both math attempts on DAT I ran out of time and same with reading. I did the search and destroy strategy on practice tests and initially was doing that on the actual tests but midway through the test the second passage really slowed me down with more comprehension based questions losing time having to guess on most of the last passage. I was getting 21+ on the bootcamp reading parts but neat the end of second attempt the same passages were coming up so I feel like I was just kind of remembering the answers than using the technique effectively if that makes sense. All in all I know I probably wasn’t using Bootcamp’s full potential. I only increased in orgo and PAT the second round.
I also went from studying full summer (May 12-august 13) my first attempt and second attempt I was taking tough classes like orgo 2 and immunology so I didn’t put as much effort in as I could’ve if I just pushed it to another time but that’s in the past now.